Finally after fifty years I quit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am on day 20 without alcohol. I have not gone one day without a drink for fifty years but never thought I had a problem with drinking. Finally, I decided at age 73, I was going to stop using alcohol at least for a few weeks. The first week was not pleasant; I had severe leg cramps, buzzing in my head and couldn't sleep at night which was partly because of RLS. I never got falling down drunk but would consume anywhere from 6 to 8 drinks a day (vodka & tonic) at home as well as when I was out socially. I feel good now but am so fearfull that I will go back to drinking. I need encouragement. I just found this sight today and hope it will be a good support group for me.

Wow LaReese! That is fantatstic... you have tremendous inner strength, never lose sight of that! To get through your first week, even with all the physicial obstacles speaks volumes of your firm desire to quit!! I've been around for a few years, but have just started visiting daily and very recently started posting. There is a lot of support and encouragement here and great wisdom =0) I am only on Day 3, I look forward to sharing more with you. Congratulations on Day 20!!!
    ~DB

Comment

Welcome lareese and hi discobunnie
      Welcome to mwo,great community here full of support and good sound advice no matter what age you are.keep posting your thoughts & feelings and read read read,you are not alone,hope you stick around.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

LaReese, :welcome: and :goodjob:

I'm only on day two and marvel at your day 20! Wow, you're an inspiration and this site is great! Hope you post lots.

Comment

Bravo LeReese.........I am on day 4 and struggling soyou are an inspiration....and 73!!!!!
          You sober, sexy young thing!!
          I love my family more than alcohol.:h
          Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Fabulous!!! AF is wonderful!!! Congratulations!
            sigpic
            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Welcome LaReese - living testament to the saying 'it's never too late' - at 73 years young - just think! You could be starting a whole new vibrant chapter. Good for you! Come here often - many here will support you for sure!

Comment

I just got home from visiting my husband in the nursing home and found such encouraging words from all of you. Thank you. I have not told anyone of my intentions of quitting alcohol all together. I have told my friends that I was on medication and couldn't have alcohol with it. But, as I get stronger I will just say I don't drink anymore. That is my plan so far. I did tell my daughter that I hadn't had a drink in a couple weeks and she asked why and I told her I was cutting down. That was that - no response from her. Again, thank you all and I wish everyone wanting to quit alcohol that you have the strength and support to stick with it.

Comment

Wow, LaReese, you're my hero.

I think it's fantastic that you've come to this point. I think it's just fine to not make any announcements that you've quit. I know several people who have said they are on medication and cannot drink alcohol with it. Makes perfect sense.

Comment

LaReese,

Just wanted to say hello & welcome!
                    Glad you found us, we'd love to hear more from you. You are an absolute inspiration to all of the 'Newbies' just starting out - to all of us really!

Congratulations on your 20 days with no alcohol, I'll bet you feel great
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

:welcome: Welcome, LaReese! Congratulations on 20 AF days! This is a great place - I got sober coming here, and previously never realized how much easier that is with some support.
                      Glad you are here!
                      ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

:welcome:Lareese, you are such an inspiration....please keep us up to date.
                        make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

LaReese, I am so happy for your 20 days AF. Please, please stick around!!!!! You are an inspiration.

Comment

Welcome LaReese,

This is just the post I needed to read this morning!! How fabulous that you have decided to make a positive change. 20 days AF - you are doing so well.

Keep up the good work...as others said, you are an inspiration.
                            Great to have you here.
                            Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Hi

How fantastic LaReese :goodjob: and :welcome: I take great strength from your post thankyou. As people have said you are an inspiration to us all
                              Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

Working...
                              X