Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My detailed Case (Alcohol + Nicotine) help call

Hi!

This is going to be my first message (and a long one) because I need to say everything I've been keeping to myself for years, so I've divided it into two parts: a large one regarding my story which I'm posting here, and a smaller one regarding my questions about Baclofen, which I'm going to post in the appropriate section of the forum!

I'm 39, 6'5" (1.95 m) tall and 220 lb (100 kg). I have been smoking tobacco since age 15 and heavily since age 20. I have been drinking alcohol since age 15, moderately since age 20, and heavily since age 30. I'm from what most people would call "middle class", with a scientific and executive career currently destroyed by alcohol, as is most of the rest of my life.

My normal consumption for the last 10 years has been between 1 and 1 1/2 pack of cigarettes and 12-18 drinks per day and I don't remember a single day within this timeframe without both nicotine and alcohol: basically I have never experienced full detox regarding alcohol, let alone rehab, yet my recent experience with nicotine is a little different, as you will read later in this report.

When rewinding my own life, I realize that I've always had a strong anxiety since early childhood: I had major tics, used to bite my nails and was overall considered as a very nervous child by everyone including my own parents. When I was a teen I started casually smoking and drinking, which apparently "solved" my problem. “Thanks” to alcohol and nicotine I've been able to go rather high in the educational system and even received a couple of small awards early in my career.

When I was 20 it had very little side effects, essentially I would just drink a beer and take a smoke before an exam and it would help me calm down and focus. Ten years later it was still the same, only with much higher doses. Only after age 30 did I really started to experience the bad parts: daily hangovers from alcohol and chronic bronchitis from tobacco. In my late 30s it had evolved even more: no hangovers anymore when I woke up but extreme dehydration, no more chronic bronchitis but permanent ones, with acute shortness of breath for even simple tasks, and mood and sleep disorders reaching the point where I could not possibly keep an executive work anymore (I actually went from a highly paid position to freelance consultant to be able to cope with "difficult" days). After my addictions had progressively impacted more and more of my personal, professional and social life, I realized that my honeymoon with alcohol and tobacco had finally turned into a nightmare. And you can imagine easily how life was for my family. I slowly went down and down and down, always trying something else to improve the situation, like keeping my drinking to only red wine (something that I still do today) and trying to reduce consumption just with willpower. I believe I don't need to comment on the success it had.

While even with the facts under my eyes I may have been partly in denial regarding alcohol addiction until a few years ago, I've always known I was extremely addicted to nicotine, as was my wife, so when she succeeded stopping smoking 4 years ago when she got pregnant with our first child, I knew I had to do it myself "when the time would be right". I also had the feeling that if I could stop smoking my consumption of alcohol would automatically diminish (I was only drinking while smoking and vice versa). At the time I was not aware that according to statistics it was virtually impossible to stop smoking while being an alcoholic.

Not knowing it was impossible is probably why I even tried it 3 months ago: I went to the convenient store, bought tons of candies (which I hate, as I hate sweet stuff), went back home, smoke the three cigarettes I had in my last pack and swear to myself to never smoke again, hoping this would solve my alcoholic addiction at the same time.

So I went cold turkey. Until then I thought I had already touched the bottom and that I couldn't possible suffer more.

I was wrong.

The first week without tobacco was just pure detox: I played Minesweepers on my PC all day, slept as much as I could, ate menthol candies permanently, cried and drank wine as usual until late evening.

While I had no illusions that my nicotine craving would stop so early, nicotine being widely considered as the most addictive known substance, I secretly hoped that my alcohol intakes would mechanically be reduced. After all I was doing the hard part first, surely if I was able to beat nicotine, alcohol was no match. It didn't played that way at all: In fact I started to have cravings which I couldn't tell if they were from nicotine or from alcohol, and when I couldn't resist anymore (think borderline panic attack) I always went for alcohol, to be sure to keep out from tobacco.

I suppose everyone knows that smoking and drinking are heavily connected, but speaking about it is one thing, experiencing it is another. By completely suppressing nicotine while maintaining alcohol, so far I've noticed a few things:

- On the plus side, I feel all the benefits advertised about stopping smoking: I don't have at all bronchitis anymore, and I can keep a 24 hours living cycle without any effort, something I was unable to do before (When I was smoking, tobacco was pushing me to another drink, and the other drink was pushing me to another cigarette, and in the end my days were about 26 hours long, resulting in a permanent shift in my living cycle compared to a normal one).

- On the minus side, cravings from nicotine and alcohol have become almost indistinguishable, I think about my addictions permanently and I'm completely unable to focus on anything more than a few hours a day. In addition, any attempt to reduce alcohol intakes (which I cannot compensate with smoking anymore) ends up within a few hours with a panic attack. Basically, while stopping smoking immediately made me recover a normal 24 hours cycle, I cannot function normally for more than a few hours a day, so it's just a tradeoff. I’m not very rich, but since I basically can’t work anymore, without my savings I would probably already be dead.

For the last 3 months, here is what have been my typical days:

- I wake up normally, with no hangovers and no cravings. I can function normally during the morning, thanks to candies and with slight tremors approaching noon.

- Since I'm now self-employed (sneaky choice of course) I can now have wine for lunch, which allows be to gain a few more functional hours. But if for some reason I can't and by the middle of the afternoon I don't have any alcohol intake, anxiety and craving turns into panic attack. When I was smoking the effect of nicotine would allow me to survive without panic attack until diner but since I stopped smoking this is not the case anymore.

- During diner I drink, usually a full bottle of wine, with no side effects except calming me down (but again don't forget that I'm 6'5" - aka 1.95 m - tall, so in my state drinking a full bottle of wine is just like drinking a glass of water (not so but you know what I mean).

- After diner, wine drinking is permanent until I go to bed. In fact I would say that I drink a bottle of wine during the day, a bottle during diner, and 1 to 2 bottles after dinner. I don't pass out anymore but I sometimes still have slight memory impairments in the morning after. During the night I have basically no dreams I can remember since I'm virtually in a coma... And yes, in case I didn't mention it: I'm an alcoholic.

More than that, as I said before, I've been a lifelong anxious guy. I've always known it, but only since I stopped smoking did I realize how far I was on the way to hell, because it severed the nicotine/alcohol combination, exposing me to pure alcoholic addiction without the tobacco to alleviate it.

Breaking the nicotine/alcohol link was a big wake up call for me, the one powerful enough to make me use the few hours of "clear thinking" time I had left to actually go away from denial and look for real solutions. Out of everything I read on the net, both my scientific reasoning and my instincts drove me toward the case of Dr. Olivier Ameisen and the way he solved his case with Baclofen. So while I've said as much as possible in this quite long introduction, now I have very specific questions that I will post in the appropriate section.

Follow up: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ons-40973.html

Please help me if you can!

Well, I willl say hello and welcome you! I do believe you are in the right place. It sounds to me like you want to give the Bac a try and I am sure there are those in that forum that will be able to direct you.

All I can say is WELCOME! :welcome: and visit and post often. This is a great place to be!

Comment

:welcome:Hi Foxma, and a very big welcome to you. Reading your post made me so aware of how intelligent most of us are - it was very well written.
      Many people have turned their lives around after joining this community. I'm not there yet - but much better then before.
      I'm also contemplating Baclofen - so keep us posted on how you are doing.
      All the best.
      make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Hi FoxMA,

You seem to have a very good insight into your situation and are not afraid to face up to the way things are. I am sure you will receive plenty of sound advice to your Baclofen questions, I myself have not used it so I can't comment.

Thankfully I stopped smoking over twenty years ago, and as far as alcohol is concerned coming here has relieved me of the guilt I had over it, enabled me to stop and I have no intention of returning to drinking ever. As many people say, if I can so can you!

Something struck me about your story which I have noticed in myself too. It's as if your achievements were uncomfortable for you, not meeting the high standards you set for yourself maybe, and perhaps in some way there was a fear of being unmasked in your career, hence the withdrawal from it. Anyway, that's just something that came to mind reading your post.

You will find a lot of support here :welcome:
        I love you, I'm sorry, please forgive me, thank you.

Comment

Thanks for your warm welcome!

Things are going to move fast now for me, one way or another, as I feel I have very few options. I'll keep you informed.

@jessie
          Thanks a lot for what you said. I don't know how smart I am, but I totally agree in the fact that being an alcoholic doesn't mean being dumb

@Gold
          I don't care about my career anymore as I'm now trying to save my life. I perfectly realize it is a luxury most people in our situation can't afford because you have to be able to survive without working, the ones who don't have the savings to do so are not here to talk about it because they are already dead.

@OnTheWagon
          While alcohol is the one thing destroying my everyday life, I know that nicotine is even more addictive, so I think in my situation the best thing would be to keep out of tobacco and immediatly starts Baclofen. My decision is virtually already taken but I'm talking about it openly just to hear what other people think (and as mentioned in my first post I have very specific Baclofen questions)

Comment

Hi Fox. Boy I can sure relate to much of your story! I have come to realize that addiction knows NO boundaries and there are plenty of people from every walk of life imaginable that have been caught in the grist mill.

I was a wicked nicotine addict. (well, still am - just not active any more!) On days when I could smoke whenever I wanted (i.e. working from my home office, so not restricted by non-smoking environments) I would easily smoke 2 packs a day. I smoked like a chimney from about age 16 or 17 until age 48. I was also a wicked daily drinker and for many, many years can't remember very many, if any days where I DIDN'T drink. I too tried all the "solutions" such as only drink wine....only drink vodka.....only drink after X time of day (which totally went out the window when I started working from home!) So...we have lots in common.

I quit smoking first as you can see from my siggy line dates. My alcohol desire SKYROCKETED if that was even possible for an already heavy drinker. I did NOT want to go back to smoking so sort of dealt with the AL issues increasing for about 6 months. Then I went on to start working on the AL problem.

The journey has had some bumps. But I was 3 years Nic free in Feburary and will be 2 years AL free in May. Yay. If I can do it, you can do it too.

It's fabulous that you have the opportunity to focus on your recovery. Any chance you might consider an inpatient program? Knowing what I know now about the challenges of sobriety, I would sure have done that if I could have swung it time wise and financially.

Mean time, I haven't personally tried any of the med supports out there, but it's clear that many are being helped. I hope Bac works for you!

Strength and hope to you on this journey. Sounds like you are being totally honest with yourself and that is such an important step in this process, IMO.

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Thanks Doggygirl!

I'm glad that some people like you managed to quit smoking before drinking, but I have the feeling it's extremely rare. As I said it has been 3 months nicotine free for me now but while I feel some benefits every single day is a pure nightmare and today was probably one of the worst.

What really annoys me is that instead of doing better I'm actually doing worse everyday: While the first month I could at least manage nicotine cravings with candies without raising too much my alcohol intake, I was hoping that after three months I could see at least a little improvement, but no: the mixed alcohol/nicotine cravings are now permanent from the minute I wake up (actually even think that's what is actually waking me up) and absolutely unbearable. My alcohol consumption has raised by 30% in less than a month and I have at least one panic attack a day and I don't know if I'll be able to wait for weeks for Bac (which I haven't ordered yet) before starting smoking again, nor if it's even desirable to try in my current state.

Clearly I think I should have started Bac and obtained some results with it, at least regarding anxiety, before stopping smoking. I'm now considering starting all over again.

To add some "spice" today my home has been flooded and I just received a letter stating that I'll have a tax audit. When you think your life cannot possibly go lower anymore, it does.

Comment

Hi FoxMA,
                Thanks for sharing your story! As i was reading your post i became very aware of the cravings that you are stuffering and also the anxiety it is causing you - through my own experiences also. You have amazing insight and that with the help and support of people at MWO you can start to make changes as they are needed. I am a smoker also and know the last time I quit my AL intake went up by 50% easily. Can you try a nicotine aid i.e. gum or patch while you are trying to overcome AL issues also?
                Stay close, read the posts, asks questions and most of all be kind to yourself you are making progress by being here.
                Liquid MISERY guaranteed to distroy.

Comment

Today I had 2 panic attacks, the first one woke me up at 4:30 am, all ended up in cries, extreme anxiety and for the first time in my life suicidal thoughts (I can't believe it actually happened while I have a lovely family and a 2 years old kid). I believe they were due not only to pure anxiety but also to the fact that I had slightly less alcohol intake yesterday than usual that induced withdrawal symptoms, but yet again that's a catch 22.

I'm clearly going nowhere this way so I'm starting to smoke again (after 3 months nicotine free). The first cig was awfull and I had a hard time smoking it, but still it immediatly stopped my fear. At the end of the day I was back to normal as if I had never stopped smoking and I'm now relatively lightly alcoholised with no more anxiety and ready to go to bed.

Those 3 months nicotine free have not been in vain: they teached me a lot as I've experienced at the same time the life where you can physically live again and breath free and the life when you don't have nicotine to help the alcohol/anxiety mega-cravings, which in my case are not bearable. But I'm not going to even try to do anything anymore regarding nicotine until I have started Bac (I just ordered it) to solve my huge AL/Anxiety lifelong problem first.

My father in law had Parkinson's disease (lack of dopamine secretion), and I can now retrospectively think of every little details in his case and treatement, so I'm now completely convinced that I have a neurological problem that will only be treated by reducing Dopamine release, which seems to fit perfectly with Dr. Ameisen's theory.

Comment

Hi Foxma,
                    Welcome. Sorry to read that you are having panic attacks. Are you able to isolate the different thoughts you are having leading up to and during the attacks? If you can do that, try to rationalise your thoughts afterwards and work towards softening them so they are not so 'black and white'. (does that make sense). I used to have panic attacks and my thoughts were very extreme when they happened. I learnt to say to myself - I think I am having a panic attack- I am going to be ok. Slow down your breathing and make sure you empty your lungs before taking another breath.....it works.
                    Baclofen should really help with the panic attacks (it helps anxiety), your alcohol consumption and it may even help you kick the cigarettes again. It has been proven to help cocaine addicts.....

Keep close to the boards Foxma. Best of luck with the Bac!

Amelia
                    Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

60 mg of Bac now, no effect (positive or negative) whatsoever, and I'm trying at the same time to slowly detox with beer because the shaking is driving me mad during the day. It is indeed very difficult but so far I've managed to keep around 12-16 drinks a day, which is probably about 30-40% less than I had before. Not brilliant I know but considering where I come from...

One thing is particularly annoying : I CANNOT have a nice meal with water, pops, or anything sweet, so I'm thinking about stop buying wine and trying dealcoholized red wine, has anyone tried that before? Is it even drinkable?

Comment

Hi Foxma,
                        Good to read that you have cut your consumption. Maybe that is an effect of the Bac??
                        Some people don't experience any benefit from Baclofen until they reach higher doses.
                        What about the panic attacks? Any improvement there?
                        As far as Alcohol Free wine, it doesn't taste the same, but if I helps you to cut down, then it is a great substitute! I have only tried al free white. Tasted different. Obviously NOT alcohol, but it did get me through a party sober.
                        Keep up with the Bac.
                        Amelia
                        Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

I've tried wine with the alcohol removed - it works out at about 0.05% ABV. Anyway I found it tasted too much like wine to me and really I only drank for the effect, not the taste so it was in the bin with that one. Have you tried grapefruit and soda?That's got an edge to it. Might also be a case of altering your tastes since you've gotten so used to AL drinks with food.

Comment

Just found this site and the suffering you are going through is through the roof.

You have been trying on your own to detox and it sounds like professional help is needed. To detox on your own sounds dangerous to me. Please, please consider going inpatient. Payment arrangements can be made, but your life is at stake.

Often panic attacks and anxiety are exacerbated by alcohol consumption. I know that when I drink, I have panic attacks, anxiety and depression. Alcohol free, my feelings are more in the normal range.

Even to quit smoking, I attended a smoking cessation class, as I had smoked cigarettes over 30 years. Cognitive behavioral therapy and nicotine patches, plus group support were vital to quitting smoking. I would be dead if I did not quit. The physical effects from cigarettes were intense.

There is no shame in asking for help. Alcohol withdrawal is very serious and you probably already know that. I just get scared when I read about your attempts to stop drinking and want you to be successful and be safe. This is a medical condition. Medical attention is needed. I did not see anyone else mention this and wanted to put it out there. Please don't be offended as my intentions are just to be safe. Good luck with this and know you are not alone.
                            Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

Just wanted to add something here about panic attacks. I've always been a worrier and do get anxious however I also know that detoxing from AL does cause panic attacks. Being a bout drinker I've 'detoxed' hundreds of times and every time I will wake in the night in a blind panic, heart pounding etc etc. Same in the morning too. I've heard others speak of this and think it's simply a side effect of the AL. Yes they did make me want to drink and it took a huge effort for me mentally to get through them but they do subside quite rapidly and are usually gone completely after 5-7 days. They are horrid but whats a few days of feeling uncomfortable/scared compared to years of AL?

Comment

Working...
                              X