A reminder BEFORE you take that drink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi OverIt and everyone, I am definitely new here. I'm only on day 4. I have suffered so much trying to sober up and getting my life back to normal only to do it again and again. I wish it would've stuck when I was 20 instead of 48, but it hasn't.
    Now I think that if I never get drunk again maybe I will never have my husband leave me or maybe I will never damage my body so severely that there is no way to repair it, or I will never drive my car drunk with my children in the car and maybe hurt or kill one of them. If I stop for good now, these things will NEVER happen! If I don't who knows? What more of an incentive do any of us need? I know this is gruesome, but I am looking at this selfish behavior in a whole new way. We don't want these things to happen to any one of us. Be strong and we need to lean on each other always! We weren't meant to be this unhappy.:butterfly:

Comment

GH welcome and how encouraging on your effort to think differently about AL. The longer you are sober the clearer your thinking will become. Ultimately you will realize there is nothing good and everything bad about AL - sounds like you're on that track.

Happy AF Wednesday all you other aspiring abbers! Day 30 for me today (yea)!

Choochie:l

Comment

I read this thread last night when I was wobbling, just wanted to say thanks to everyone, I may have wobbled but I didn't fall this time!

Comment

FB, so glad to hear it was just a wobble. It's amazing to me the degree to which reading posts on this site helps me. If you want to be really inspired, go read a post on the Long Term Abstinence Thread (posted yesterday I believe) written by abouttimetoo and his 5 years of sobriety. He started out here! Very inspiring and encouraging.

Comment

SoFlo1;992319 wrote: That's exactly what I did and I truly believe it gave me access to power just as I was at my weakest. It sure couldn't hurt.

For what it's worth, the two biggest lies I told myself while drinking were that it's not that bad right now and I'll straighten it all out later. At some point, I started to realize it doesn't matter so much if it's not that bad, especially since my definition of bad kept changing anyway, the real question was is it really that good? Is it really my best life, the one I think I was created for and want to share with others? I think I knew the answer to that one a couple of decades ago, but then comes the second lie - maybe it's not my best life but there'll be time to straighten all this out later. And time goes by.

Looking back, I wonder why I was so willing to put off the rewards of the life I was meant to have.
            Spot on i reckon SoFlo. We've got to do whatever it takes.

Best wishes, and go for it!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Choochie;995527 wrote: GH welcome and how encouraging on your effort to think differently about AL. The longer you are sober the clearer your thinking will become. Ultimately you will realize there is nothing good and everything bad about AL - sounds like you're on that track.

Happy AF Wednesday all you other aspiring abbers! Day 30 for me today (yea)!

Choochie:l
              Congrats on your Day 30, Day 5 and feeling better and better! Have a great day!:lilflower:

Comment

Working...
              X