Just need something to calm me down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 19 and I have been finding that at night I want something - not necessarily AL but something - to help me sleep and calm down! I exercise, etc. have tried to meditate but on really stressful days, I am almost desperate. Any suggestions? I have not tried any of the supplements, do they work? I take Xanax for flying and I am now telling myself I can take it in the evenings to wind down. But - being honest - aren't I substituting one drug for another!!

I don't feel like you are as long as you take the dose your doctor prescribed you...Have you had problems with Xanax in the past? Or narcotics? I think if it's short-term, prescribed by your doctor, and you are taking it as per doctor's orders you would be OK to use this to get over the hump...That is just my opinion! NOT MEDICAL ADVICE.

Good luck, FG

Comment

I found melatonin helpful when I was first AF. I also found listening to the hypnosis CDs helpful to relax before going to sleep.
      ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Get some melatonin - I take a 5mg tab about a half hour before bed & it really helps me get to sleep. That & a nice cup of herbal tea & bad TV is my new routine. that way you won't feel like you're substituting an addictive prescription instead.

Comment

I have the same problem some nights - Ive been meaning to get to the chemist and see what they have in the natural section like calm-eze or something like that. Chemicals do work but i do worry also about swoping the witch for the bitch.... l am going to do it naturally just because i know my addictive nature.
          Exercise is good, hot bath, camamile tea. I will let you know if i something that works the problem it takes me alot to get knocked out...when it says on the back of packages 'this may cause dowinesses' it does nothing to me.
          I will keep in touch.
          Liquid MISERY guaranteed to distroy.

Comment

I don't necessarily think that taking drugs to sleep is a bad thing, but it would be better to take something natural. I find a certain brand of herbal tea does it for me, but you can also get some sort of cherry drink that causes you to produce melatonin (I think) and there are probably other things available.

Comment

Hi Farm Girl,

Since I quit drinking I am addicted to Sleepy Tea! I think you can get it anywhere, it has a cute little bear sleeping on the box. I have found sleepy tea makes me very very sleepy.

You know, at my recent doctors visit (to discuss my drinking problem) I was prescribed Klonopin. I told him, I have never taken any pills for anything! I was reluctant, but he assured me on more than one visit, just take the Klonopin! I suppose what he is saying is that is ok to take meds if you need them.

I did take the Klonopin once, made me mellow, but I am already kinda mellow. Maybe worth talking to your doctor about?

Hope you find your what you need!

P.S. If you already have Xanax, why not give it a try??? I really do not think it could hurt and maybe help alot!!
              I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Farm Girl;824059 wrote: aren't I substituting one drug for another!!
                I know I've substituted AL for all sorts of other pills. If possible try and keep it natural. You mentioned meditation... why did it not work for you? Have you tried guided meditations? You can download some here at Audio Dharma Audio Dharma
                "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

What about yoga?
                  sigpic
                  Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

what about Calms Forte from MWO????
                    almost typed Clams Forte...eeeeeewwwww
                    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

DeeBee, you are always posting such valuable imformation for us all. Thank-you!
                      runningwind :l
                      DeeBee;824266 wrote:
                      I know I've substituted AL for all sorts of other pills. If possible try and keep it natural. You mentioned meditation... why did it not work for you? Have you tried guided meditations? You can download some here at Audio Dharma Audio Dharma
                      The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind. William James (1842-1910)

Comment

It's a pleasure RW. Now if only I remember my own advice
                        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

hi farm girl. i know exactly how you feel. i was going bonkers being unable to sleep for the first week. i tried chamomile tea and various herbal things with valerian and hops, also lavender oil on my pillow and a relaxation tape. none of this seemed to help. ive since had 2 things over the counter. sominax and nytol. both are anti-histamine and seem to have worked for me, or maybe my body had adjusted to AF by this time. they are only a short term solution but it was bloody marvelous to get some sleep. also as i was rested i could do more the next day, making me more tired naturally. im still taking the herbal sleepy stuff, during the day as i am still climbing the walls being hyper.
                          Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                          Keep passing the open windows

Comment

I was going to reply but everyone gave you such wonderful advice. I know their suggestions will help you. Wishing you the best.
                            runningwind
                            The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind. William James (1842-1910)

Comment

Thanks everyone, for the advice! I have the Xanax but right now I am going to put it in the back of the med cabinet and try to go natural. OverIt2007 - I do have the exact same Sleepy Tea..will open tonight. Funny Girl, I'll try melatonin too. Somewhere I read to try cranberry and soda water to trick the mind...To be honest, I have a lot of brain chatter and a very stressful job. Just have to find the right mix and you've all given me some great options!

Comment

Working...
                              X