Thankyou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thankyou

Let me start at the beginning, 16 years ago I met and married a wonderful man. For five years had a great social life (he was a sportsman), drinking, partying, basically all the things that young married couples do. Gradually we got into the habit of stopping off at the supermarket every night for a bottle or two of wine.

Had two great kids ? now 12 and 7 ? stopped drinking during pregnancy no problem, but as soon as they were born, got straight back to it, in fact I was looking forward to it.

It became a regular occurance, 1 or 1.5 bottles of white wine a night, but only varieties that I like, I?m not the sort of person to drink anything just because its in the house. This is why I told myself for a long time that I didn?t have a problem, it wasn?t alcohol for the sake of it, it had to be a specific white wine, and I have tried and tried to find something that tastes the same, but doesn?t have the alcohol.

Two years ago, on a normal evening, bottle of wine, kids annoying each other as usual (like they do), my son irritated me to the point that I slapped him, not hard you understand, but the shock on my gorgeous little boys face was enough to make sure I never forget it.

Ever since then I have been going through the ?give up for a few days? ? feel great? ?reward myself with a drink? ?guilt? ?give up??..?. Then a few days ago my husband was late home from work, and there was no wine in the house, and I found myself pacing around like a caged tiger, waiting for him to arrive with the bottle?. I had the real realisation that I am dependant on having that drink. Then later in the evening, on my fifth glass, I had a pang of guilt about my health and what would the kids do if something happened to me ? and I found myself saying ?I just don?t care?. When I remembered I was so shocked with myself, how could I be so selfish. I really really have to do something about it.

I found your site, looking for inspiration, and believe me, I found it. There are so many people out there, feeling exactly the same, and it is a real comfort. I have now not had a drink for 3 days and feel great. I can actually remember the night before in great detail. I can spend time with my kids and give them my whole attention, without keep wandering to the fridge, panicking when I have the last glass.

I read the other day, somebody posted that ?a drink is NOT a reward?. This was a tremendous realisation for me. As I have struggled with my weight for many years, when on diets I would save enough points to ensure I could have that bottle of wine every night, therefore certainly not eating enough ? how pitiful is that. I have now decided that I by finding something else for my ?reward? every time I feel like a drink, I can get through.

Reading stories from other people on this site has helped me realise and admit such a lot about myself, I will keep reading and hopefully keep strong.

Thankyou
    Elle

Thankyou

Elle, you are one of the reasons why this board is so great. I am touched by your honesty. There are so many smart, interesting and well written posts. Hopefully one day soon I will post my story too. The self ingrained habit of thinking that a drink is a reward for a hard day (or a not so hard day) is something that I can relate to, and read with interest that many others here have articulated so well. It's something that I am trying to reverse in my own thinking too. Welcome! Register and keep posting. Suz
    The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

Thankyou

I am reading this site for the first time ever and am moved...

[
      I am reading this site for the first time ever and find myself really moved. Reading these stories, I could be reading about myself. I have to go get the kids from school now but I will return again soon. I don't know if I am brave enuf to give up something I love, but at hte same time I can see how destructive it is. I'll be back

QUOTE=Unregistered]Let me start at the beginning, 16 years ago I met and married a wonderful man. For five years had a great social life (he was a sportsman), drinking, partying, basically all the things that young married couples do. Gradually we got into the habit of stopping off at the supermarket every night for a bottle or two of wine.

Had two great kids ? now 12 and 7 ? stopped drinking during pregnancy no problem, but as soon as they were born, got straight back to it, in fact I was looking forward to it.

It became a regular occurance, 1 or 1.5 bottles of white wine a night, but only varieties that I like, I?m not the sort of person to drink anything just because its in the house. This is why I told myself for a long time that I didn?t have a problem, it wasn?t alcohol for the sake of it, it had to be a specific white wine, and I have tried and tried to find something that tastes the same, but doesn?t have the alcohol.

Two years ago, on a normal evening, bottle of wine, kids annoying each other as usual (like they do), my son irritated me to the point that I slapped him, not hard you understand, but the shock on my gorgeous little boys face was enough to make sure I never forget it.

Ever since then I have been going through the ?give up for a few days? ? feel great? ?reward myself with a drink? ?guilt? ?give up??..?. Then a few days ago my husband was late home from work, and there was no wine in the house, and I found myself pacing around like a caged tiger, waiting for him to arrive with the bottle?. I had the real realisation that I am dependant on having that drink. Then later in the evening, on my fifth glass, I had a pang of guilt about my health and what would the kids do if something happened to me ? and I found myself saying ?I just don?t care?. When I remembered I was so shocked with myself, how could I be so selfish. I really really have to do something about it.

I found your site, looking for inspiration, and believe me, I found it. There are so many people out there, feeling exactly the same, and it is a real comfort. I have now not had a drink for 3 days and feel great. I can actually remember the night before in great detail. I can spend time with my kids and give them my whole attention, without keep wandering to the fridge, panicking when I have the last glass.

I read the other day, somebody posted that ?a drink is NOT a reward?. This was a tremendous realisation for me. As I have struggled with my weight for many years, when on diets I would save enough points to ensure I could have that bottle of wine every night, therefore certainly not eating enough ? how pitiful is that. I have now decided that I by finding something else for my ?reward? every time I feel like a drink, I can get through.

Reading stories from other people on this site has helped me realise and admit such a lot about myself, I will keep reading and hopefully keep strong.

Thankyou
      Elle[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
      X