Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the Relapse Symptoms

Sir
    most of the people abstained for a short period after treatment and then Relapsed
    kindly tell us the reasons

The biggest reason for my relapse after 60 days AF was that I BELIEVED the lying voice in my head telling me that now I can control it, and now I can have "just one." (hahahahaha) In a matter of days I was drinking up to previous levels and then some.

Not worth it as it took me 8 months to somehow muster up AFness again.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I was AF for 5 months then went to the Super Bowl and felt it was OK because it was once in a lifetime... I drank so much the night BEFORE the game that I felt so sick the day of the game... I RUINED my once in a lifetime experience. Nice
      LT formerly known as stillcrawling

Comment

Hey,
        For me, it is clearly that voice in my head that tells me it is okay to drink again. The part of your brain that makes you forget all of the hangovers, shame, guilt and hopelesness that al brings you. When you listen to that, it gives the disease legs. That is when I know that this is a cruel mind bend. That is when willpower, support and fellowship are in order.
        AF since 2/4/10
        Nicotine free since 3/31/10
        FINALLY FREE

Comment

Relapse is sneaky. It starts with thinking: just one won't hurt, I can handle it, this will be the last time, fu** it, etc. Keep thinking like this and you will relapse. Also, going to a bar, being around people who are drinking, letting yourself get to hungry, angry, lonely or tired, and WHAM, you relapse.

It is a normal part of recovery and the only thing to do is use the skills, support and knowledge you have gained to get back on the wagon. Failure only happens if you give up.

Keep trying.
          Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

I am starting over, and over, and over, and over. I have blamed most everything on everything, and here I go again - with that sinking feeling. I got hammered last Friday, have been ok since, but I have a friend coming tonight to stay over, she is full of good news (which is fabby) but also likes to be full of wine. I too am accustomed and like to be full of wine, particularly where me and this friend are concerned. I have work in the morning - I am frantic busy trying to get the place ready for her and I just know deep down this will end in disaster. I would tell her not to come, but she has had a really bad run and I have been there for her (she is my friend) and now that the good stuff is happening for her I don't want to say - do you mind not coming. I joked and said that I would cheer her on as I have work in the morning and she just laughed and said yeah like that will stop you. I am very fond of my friend, by I am equally as fond of my health, and I feel so much better not getting drunk so where do I go? Does anyone have any coping strategies for such an event? Or am I destined to fall off my wagon.
            :lI'd really rather be skiing:H

Comment

be honest with your friend and ask if it would be ok not to drink tonight?????
              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Skid Row, if you don't take time, to do what it takes for you to get well, eventually you won't be able to be there for her anyway. I wish you the best in your recovery.

runningwind
                The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind. William James (1842-1910)

Comment

Well said, runningwind.
                  I couldn't agree more.
                  J x
                  :l
                  It could be worse, I could be filing.
                  AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

mama bear;831094 wrote: be honest with your friend and ask if it would be ok not to drink tonight?????
                    I agree with mama bear.

Skid Row, just tell her what's going on with you, and tell her you need to refrain from drinking. My friends are fine with my situation.

Comment

Skid Row;831093 wrote: I am starting over, and over, and over, and over. I have blamed most everything on everything, and here I go again - with that sinking feeling. I got hammered last Friday, have been ok since, but I have a friend coming tonight to stay over, she is full of good news (which is fabby) but also likes to be full of wine. I too am accustomed and like to be full of wine, particularly where me and this friend are concerned. I have work in the morning - I am frantic busy trying to get the place ready for her and I just know deep down this will end in disaster. I would tell her not to come, but she has had a really bad run and I have been there for her (she is my friend) and now that the good stuff is happening for her I don't want to say - do you mind not coming. I joked and said that I would cheer her on as I have work in the morning and she just laughed and said yeah like that will stop you. I am very fond of my friend, by I am equally as fond of my health, and I feel so much better not getting drunk so where do I go? Does anyone have any coping strategies for such an event? Or am I destined to fall off my wagon.
                      skid row if your serious about trying to stop drinking you have to make changes,to all your life,there is no miracle cures out there,it takes hard work & dedication,your first priority is yourself not others.its your choice if you fall of the wagon.goodluck

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

samachen7;830339 wrote: Sir
                        most of the people abstained for a short period after treatment and then Relapsed
                        kindly tell us the reasons
                        For me i never have had treatment,but i have before relapsed after trying to moderate and being alcohol free for 7/8 weeks,it always came down to me thinking i can control my drinking and not accepting period that i cant drink..thats what i have done now,accepted i cant drink.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

mama bear;831094 wrote: ask if it would be ok not to drink tonight?????
                          Yes, be a nice girl and ask permission. We wouldn't want to alienate our enabler friends, would we? And if she's says it's not OK, you have an excuse to drink .....hello..... Get serious, folks, quit BS-ing yourselves. You're committed or you're not. Also if she's a real friend, she is there for you too. If she doesn't give a flip about your health, she isn't.

The only reason I am sober is commitment 100% every day. NOT 90% committed, NOT cutting down consumption, NOT "trying", DOING! Yes, I KNOW how hard this is. But the ONLY thing that worked was making it a number one priority at all times. My sobriety is more important than anyone's opinion or approval.
                          ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

dancelot;831234 wrote: Yes, be a nice girl and ask permission. We wouldn't want to alienate our enabler friends, would we? And if she's says it's not OK, you have an excuse to drink .....hello..... Get serious, folks, quit BS-ing yourselves. You're committed or you're not. Also if she's a real friend, she is there for you too. If she doesn't give a flip about your health, she isn't.
                            In all fairness, mama bear's answer was a good one- after all, this friend hardly knows she's "enabling" Skid Row if Skid Row doesn't let her know that she's trying to stay sober.

Otherwise, you're right on. Upon hearing that a person is trying to stay sober, a real friend will accept the news and be helpful. By not informing her friend, however, Skid seems to be planning a relapse.

Comment

on behalfof the HFAs here

The friend may not know she is enabling-- my husband did not know until I told him-- I was hiding-- the hiding is what got me to stop-- I thought that this junk is turning me into a liar-- and I am not a liar-- hubs would say but what is the deal-- I saw you drink 1 glass of wine (that discounted those I drank after he left for hockey or those while he was out of town.) Realizing that you have to change relationsships with folks is hard but it is not the answer to write them off unless and until tehy haev shown that they cannot fit into your new life. If the friend has no understanding-- and my husband was like-- just think about it anddon't drink-- he could not fathom how one could just not stop at 2 but has to have the bottle-- and he is a smart man-- then make changes in the relationships. Good luck to you in your journey-- it is hard at forst because alot of us have been hiding and it is shameful-- but you are ere now and there shoudl be no judgment and shame-- whatever you have done-- I am sure there are dozens who have done that and worse- so keep posting and trying!

Comment

Working...
                              X