Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new here and I have a drinking problem

Hi,
    I was sober in AA for 3 years 10 years ago. Been drunk most of the past 6+ years. Nothings working, everyday my mind changes. A few years ago I quit my job to go to detox, and went the homeless route for a bit. Now that I lived through that and have been employed for a few years, I can't just go off somewhere to dry out and I don't have the money for a rehab.
    I heard of Campral and hope to see a doctor tomorrow to get a prescription. I've got a gazillion white chips from AA, but I just can't put days together there. I've listened and tried so many suggestions there, so many sponsors, steps, etc... My mind is out to get me and I am losing the battle.
    I welcome any advice.
    JB

WELCOME ...sorry dont know much about the meds but there is alot of great surport here .. just read thur the forum and you will find what you need keep on posting and ask any or all of the qusetions
    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Welcome Beanzy, you are in good place here. :welcome:
      You are not losing the battle, you are fighting the battle and we are your allies. Hop into the newbies nest in the Just Starting Out section for support and information.

Comment

Hi Beanzy,

Just wanted to wish you a warm welcome. There is a special section here on meds where you can read up and post on the different supplements, including Campral, Naltroxene, Baclofen, etc., etc.

I think i's quite important for a lot of us to throw everything at this problem we can. So supplements can go a long wya in helping. I have read some amazing things on Baclofen, Topamax, etc. but for myself have chosen the route of Antabuse. Do read up about it. I can only suggest it.

Whichever route you choose, please stick around here and keep posting. I have no personal AA experience but one thing I value about this place is how non judgemental people are, how helpful there posts are and the fact that when I fall there are 10 hands to help pick me up again.

Looking forward to getting to know you.

Johnny
        AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Hey Beanzy, glad you are here, and trying to fight the battle once again. I don't know about the drug you mentioned, but reading and writing lots here will help a great deal. There is a wealth of caring and thoughtful people here who can help. You can do it.
          Hill
          Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Hiya Beanzy

First thing I'd say is Rehab doesn't work for everyone even if you could afford it. For me it almost worked 1 in 4 goes and cost me a bomb (I was self-funding, self-employed so no income whilst I was in there!). So my conclusion is it's over-rated. I've decided to try do this myself with whatever I can make work for me. Even if you have to pay for Counsellor at least you still are working, and 1 session a week is 'only' the cost of one night on the pop.

I gave Campral a few goes but found it caused me too much discomfort to the point where it was affecting my work. I was then told it could have been because I was consuming grapefruit for breakfast - apparently this interfers with a lot of drugs and can cause problems.

I think you've just got to do it and give it another go.

Comment

Hi beanzy,

Welcome to MWO, this is a good place!
              I'm sorry that you've had so much difficulty staying sober. Can you possibly take what you learned in AA & apply it to this quit? 3 years was a very long time to stay sober - you can do it again! Have you thought about some out patient counseling?

If you haven't already download & read the MWO book. It will give you an understanding of how this program works, info about the meds, supplements, hypnotherapy. We all have different backgrounds, experiences & needs! I did not use Rx meds or even the supplements but I did rely heavily on the Hypnotherapy CDs to help me change my thinking & learn to relax without AL.

Keep reading & posting, feel free to drop in the Newbies Nest thread for some support.
              Wishing you the best on your journey!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Welcome! You've come to the right place!
                I'm not what I should be, I'm not what I could be. I'm definetly not who I want to be,
                but I'm sure not who I used to be!

There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still.

"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME." Phil 4:13

Comment

Working...
                X