Cranky and feeling sorry for myself...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sidney;833952 wrote: I drank for more than 35 years so I know there isn't magic bullet that is going to make me wake up and never want to drink again. Places and feelings may make me want to have a drink no matter how long I remain sober. But I am determined that I am not going to drink. Because I have such a better life. And cranky passes. It is just harder for me in the summer.
    Yes. Cranky passes. I never stay down for too long, but when I'm there, I'm lower than the bottom of the ocean. I'm finding that physical activity and reading help keep me from entertaining bad thoughts...plus the memory of how absolutely awful I feel when I've broken another promise to myself.

Comment

Fennel, I hope you are feeling better today. If not, you are welcome to come to my pity party! I love you and hope you have a great day! Vicki
      I'm not what I should be, I'm not what I could be. I'm definetly not who I want to be,
      but I'm sure not who I used to be!

There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still.

"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME." Phil 4:13

Comment

Hey, Vicki...
        I'm doing way better, now! Of course, I know that sooner or later, I'll hit those depths again. Yesterday, I read somewhere that it can take two months for our brain chemistry to return to normal. It's alcohol still leaving our bodies that's making the radical ups and downs!

Comment

Fennel
          did I already ask if you are taking antidepressants??
          I am taking topa so I am a wee bit forgetful...plus topa can cause depression as well....
          kisses
          mama jan
          I love my family more than alcohol.:h
          Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Fennel, It can take up to 6 months for brain chemistry to become normal after removing alcohol from our lives. But, there is another component to this. It is called "Emotional Sobriety". Most of us used alcohol to numb and avoid most strong emotions. We did not develope good coping skills. When we stop using alcohol, we begin to truly feel our own emotions and they are often very powerful and frightening. I would recomend that you do some reading on this topic and learn to develope these new skills. I find that exercise, eating right, reading and being concious of what I take in around me is very important to emotional balance.

Just a thought about anti-D's and other meds. All too often we want to reach for a chemical to deal with how we feel. Research has shown that for many, chemicals are not the best solution. Why not try to deal with emotions and anxiety naturally before reaching for meds. Yes, if somone is truly "clinicly depressed, or suffering from severe anxiety, meds may truly be the right choice, at least short term. But, one still needs to learn to deal with life without chemicals.

Best Wishes!
            Kate
            A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Kate is ABSOLUTELY right. I only asked b/c I suffered from real chemical depression before I ever started drinking and I know the depths of pain it can cause....that's all....
              thanks Wise Kate for making it clear!!
              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Kate, that is such an excellent post. There is certainly a place for prescription medication and I'm not a doctor or psychiatrist. What I DO know as a recovering alcoholic is that I spent YEARS wanting all of life's problems to be over RIGHT NOW and I reached for the bottle RIGHT NOW again and again, even though that didn't work.

I am wired to want a solution to everything RIGHT NOW and that just isn't realistic in recovery or in many other life circumstances. Reaching for a pill every time I'm uncomfortable (or weed, or whatever) would not be different than what I did with AL.

I think we have to be very aware of whether meds are truly called for.

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                X