Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is A/F REALLY that wonderful?

Hello,
    I have elevated liver enzymes and think I probably need to go A/F. In the last week I have stuck to my bottle of wine a night and a cup of milo before bed..............
    I am wondering if A/F is all it's cracked up to be.?? I don't know how to live my life sober (in the evenings). Daytime is fine, but where would I go at night????

G'day Muppet,
    AF is incredible. After i got over a few hump's, it get's easier, and it is magical, amazing, blissful, and indescribable. Life get's better and better every day. Gratitude thinking, not deprivation thinking is crucial.

Best wishes.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Being AF is great - no more regrets, remorse and most of all - GUILT!
      Having control over my life again is fantastic.. I don't feel depressed any more.. I am able to concentrate on being a better person and mum to my son.. I am able to function at a much higher level - no more sick days from work, and no more anxiety over things I have said or done when under the influence..
      It is so so worth it - what's a temporary "buzz" versus your life back?
      Katie
      "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

I love my AF life. At first I didn't know what to do with myself during drinking time either. And since "drinking time" was all day for me, well - I didn't know what to do ANY time of the day!

I was a prisoner in my home during the last years of my drinking. I didn't have the freedom to do anything I wanted to do. I've had to figure out what I want to do. But now I have the freedom to try anything.

The journey is not easy but it's worth it, at least to me.

Strength and hope to you. Don't hand AL your life. Those liver enzymes are a warning.

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Muppet!
          Evenings were a hard time for me too, at the beginning. I found that by doing anything to break my nomal "schedule" of drinking was a big help. I was an at home only, evening drinker too, so the thought of being at home without my beer made me sad. This is not my first quit, and I am only up to day 7, but I've done this many, many times. I've found that the key in the beginning is to just stay busy at night, rent a movie, go to the gym, read a good book, get some relaxation CD's...do anything to pass the time. Before you know it, you will look forward to your alcohol free evenings and just enjoy them. I know it is NOT easy. You will find, over time, that AF really is everything its cracked up to be. My biggest relief is waking up every morning and not having to scramble to put together the pieces of the night before. I was a chronic drunk texter/emailer/phone caller....and the mornings of regret and shame just became too much for me. You can do this, I KNOW you can. Give it a try. We'll be here to support you!
          :l
          K9
          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Is a drinking life worth it? For me absolutely NOT!
            I agree with all the comments here. I can relate to them all.
            I also drank alone at home the last many years, no way to trust myself outside my four walls. I became a prisoner of alcohol and the behaviors it brought out in me.
            I've lost friends and alienated family members while drinking at home by emailing and blackout phone calls. I could not hide it anymore! I could find no happiness or release with alcohol anymore.
            So my only hope for freedom is AF. I am 13 days now and becoming amazed at the possibilities my life may hold for the future.
            We each have to make that choice for ourselves.

Comment

Sheri;834962 wrote: So, rather than asking yourself if AF is all that's it's cracked up to be, why not switch it up, and ask if getting drunk is all that it's cracked up to be?

Sheri
              Sheri, that is an AWESOME line. Can I steal that for my signature line? Please??
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Muppett,

Your question was 'where can I go at night?'
                The answer is - anywhere you want! You just need to change the contents of your glass!!

Give yourself 30 AF days then see how you feel.
                At the end of my first 30 days I was feeling like a different person & more importantly I was thinking clearly for the first time in a very long time. That was when I decided that AF is the way I want to live!!!

Give it a try, give yourself the chance
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hey Muppet,
                  I can't add much more to what already been said but I will sure try!! I was an evening only drinker too and wondered what the heck I would do if I wasn't drinking. Well, now I wonder how I found the time TO drink!! I am so busy when I get home from work these days that I am ready to crash by at least 9 pm (still having insomnia problems but that's a different post). I am basking in the glow of proudness that I have been able to stay sober for 33 days now, as well as in the glow of other people's admiration including my family and my doctor! I have great peace now knowing that my animals are being well taken care of instead of neglected (I can't tell you how many nights I forgot to feed them or potty them because I had passed out), that my house is out of CHAOS (Can't have Anyone Over) for the most part, and that I will no longer make a fool of myself at social events. I have read 6 books so far (loving the library again!!) and I now remember how much I love reading!! The biggest thing keeping me AF however is remembering my last 2 days of being hungover and calling in sick to work. I NEVER want to feel that way again and I know that moderation is probably not going to work for me, not after having reviewed my life since I started drinking at 15. I see now that I always overdid it-there was never any moderation in the way I used AL. So is an AF life worth it to me? YES IT IS!!
                  I wish you the best of luck in your journey and I hope you will come to realize that a life spent poisoning yourself day in and day out is no life at all. Hop on over to the Newbies Nest - it's a great place to be whether you're just starting out or a veteren.
                  New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

From what I hear, AF is wonderful. It takes strength to change your old habits. I'm willing to TRY AGAIN and make the change. I have no choice. My husband asked for a divorce this morning. Whether or not I'm able to save our marriage, I have to save me. Alcohol has destroyed my life. I want that AF feeling sober people are talking about.
                    September 23, 2011

Comment

Go for it Reenie! x

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Wow! Reading this thread makes me SMILE!! I completely agree with everyone....AF life or Sober Living as I call it, IS THE BEST!!! When I was still drinking and even during the first few months AF, I could not imagaine ever feeling the way that I do today.

I love what Lav wrote "Where can you go at night.....answer any where you want"....boy! that is so true! You can go anywhere you want, with anyone you want, anytime you want!

I do not miss drinking....I no longer look at drinking as a privalege or something special that I am missing out on. What do you get when you stop drinking? You Get Your Life Back!!

Best Wishes!
                        Kate
                        A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

If you'd have asked me a few hours ago I'd have said no as I was going through my angry at the world stage at knowing I can't drink again and hating that fact. That was my drinking voice talking to me, he's been saying a lot recently, then it passed and reality came back and yes A/F is better you know, yes it's hard, bloody hard infact but compared to how I was when I first joined the beginning of this year, it's been worth the anger and tears and the even the huge month long binge in between, but even that somehow made it clear that I can't drink again.

Anyway I'll go back to my comfy lurking again, but yes it is worth the struggle,
                          WHAT CAN I SAY? I DON'T WANT TO PLAY ANYMORE..

Just taking it day by day.......

Comment

AF IS WONDERFUL. I AM SO HAPPY WHEN I AM NOT DRINKING, AND SO GUILTY WHEN I LET THE DEMON TAP MY SHOULDER WITH TEMPTATION. DOGGIE GIRL SAID IT PERFECT

ONCE YOU ARE AF, YOU'LL NEVER WANT TO LOOK BACK
                            DLW
                            Sobriety since October 2008 ( with a few bumps in the road ) - but I am still here, strong and fighting every day for my sobriety!
                            And every day is a challenge - But I am WINNING so far!

• Yesterday is History
                              Today is a Mystery
                              Tomorrow is a GIFT

Comment

So, rather than asking yourself if AF is all that's it's cracked up to be, why not switch it up, and ask if getting drunk is all that it's cracked up to be?

Sheri
                              Sheri,

I love this quote and have thought about it today while I have had cravings for wine. Thanks for the thought!

Comment

Working...
                              X