Day 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 8

First week sober and it has had its ups and downs. Went to counsuling yesterday and left feeling great. I learned I have social anxiety and low self esteem. Drinking was my way of self medicating.
    But today was rough from the get go. I miss my family. And I tend to dwell on that.
    I do get to see my son tomorrow so I'm looking forward to that. Going to start yoga this week to help me learn to relax and contol my anxiety stress and anger.
    I know I need to focus on one day at a time. Thank god for this site. Don't have any friends I confide in so this feels like all I have at times. Thanks
    Sober since 4/8/10 -OVER 150 DAYS AND GOING AF!!!!

Get busy livin or get busy dyin-Duane Peters
    No more bad future-Skull Skates

Day 8

Glad you're here Sk8!
    I started counseling recently too, and it has been wonderful so far. Sorry you are missing your family, that can be tough. Great job on 8 days! Please stick close, we are here for you.
    :l
    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Day 8

Hi Sk8, its awesome that you are taking steps towards improving your wellness. Like you say certainly one day at a time is a focus. For me, I found that stopping drinking helped to increase my confidance (like it was before), and that helped me feel better about myself. All the best,
      Hill
      Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Day 8

Not drinking definetly can't hurt my self esteem. My problem is I've suffered from social anxiety and low self esteem way before I even touched a drink. Alcohol made all of that worse

Comment

Day 8

Had a wonderful time with my son today. Now I know why I'm sober. Its kinda strange when I reflect back on my drinking. Its like I'm watching a movie and can see addiction taking me over. Hindsight really is 20/20.

Comment

Day 8

Yes when I look back it's like seeing a completely different person. Well done 8 days it does get easier!

Comment

Day 8

sk8punk, I think a lot of us have issues that we start self-medicating... and thats where we get into trouble... but knowledge is power and it sounds like you are on the right track.
              :goodjob: on your AF days and I wish you continued success!

runningwind
              The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind. William James (1842-1910)

Comment

Day 8

great job sk8! I am on day 7 and I am glad. It's tough, but having a sponsor is helping me much. We have been meeting almost everyday to read the big book.
                congrats again, JB

Comment

Day 8

Hey Sk8, you make a neat point about how being with your kids while drinking was like watching a movie. I agree. Now that I am sober, I still do the same things with my kids, but it is like I am "in the moment" not watching the moment and grabbing my beer for another swig. Also, I enjoy all the activities we do together way more, because I don't have another agenda that gets me closer to my beer fridge. AND weekends, seem twice as long when sober! Have a great week,
                  Hill
                  Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Working...
                  X