Hello I am new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello I am new

Hello, I am new and just found this site, I am looking for people just like me, who wish to control the amount they consume. I was drinking way too much, and have not touched a drop since St. Patty's day, (boy would my Irish relatives be disappointed in me:sorry Anyway, I am trying to take control and not have it control me, so far so good. But someday soon, I would like to sit and have a few and leave it like that. Is it successful? Thanks

Hello I am new

Hi Litre and Welcome....
    I , for one, am working on becoming AF (alcohol free) but others here moderate.
    Read around, study, post and see what works for you
    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Hello I am new

Welcome Litre

Just do what Mama says and you will soon see what a great place you have found.

QQ
      Success is knowing when to sit back and enjoy the moment

Comment

Hello I am new

:welcome: Litre and congrats on your AF (Alcohol Free) time since St. Patrick's day. The odds are not stacked in favor of us "problem drinkers" being able to successfully ratchet back and drink in a truly moderate fashion. A few accomplish that, many more of us seem to figure out we can't drink safely with any sort of reliability.

The question that always comes to my mind these days is why do you want to drink? I understand you thinking that way, because I did too! And it was a LONG time before I really dug deep enough to honestly assess WHY I wanted to drink, despite the very negative consequences I had experienced time and time again.

I wanted to get drunk, but just not have negative consequences. That's the bottom line of what I really *wanted.* Yeah, I told myself I wanted "just one." (hahahahaha) Truth is, I never ever HAD "just one" and my enjoyment from drinking never came from one drink. It came from lots of drinks and a good strong buzz.

Anyway, I'm going on and on but just wanted to suggest you really ponder deeply WHY you want to continue playing with fire?

Welcome!

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hello I am new

Welcome!! I'm not one who can moderate either, but you'll find what you're looking for. Make yourself at home here, there are some great people around!

Comment

Hello I am new

Welcome--:new: too. But what a great place.

Whenever I think of not drinking at all...it takes me back to when my ex-boyfriend, knowing that I wasn't drinking, still offered me a glass of wine during Thanksgiving because everyone else was drinking a spot--and when I say drinking, I mean, one or two small glasses. If I had the will to say no (out of shame and being in AA), I figure that I could have had at least a sip or two--the way lots of my friends and family do to be "social" or simply enjoy a nice glass of wine. Instead, I ended up feeling silly. I was a not-so-much drinker for years and was able to put down the glass. Who is to say it can't be like that again if I have the motivation? Or end up not feeling weird to say, "I don't drink...it makes me sick."

Comment

Hello I am new

Anyway, I'm going on and on but just wanted to suggest you really ponder deeply WHY you want to continue playing with fire?

DG
              I'm really going to think about that---because I don't want to play with fire. I want to move beyond this feeling of "why can't I?" because maybe I just can't anymore.

Comment

Hello I am new

godknowsImtrying;840250 wrote: Who is to say it can't be like that again if I have the motivation?
                If motivation was what it took to drink moderately, there would be a lot of moderate drinkers around here. I really do think there is some sort of line that we cross and once crossed, it isn't very likely to go back.

I'm a pickle. (and can therefore never be a cucumber again)

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hello I am new

Glad you've joined us here. :welcome:

I know I can't moderate.

After 18 years I got tired of fighting with myself to accomplish that and always losing. I got tired of hating myself and my drunk reflection in the mirror.

Life holds real possibilities now. I'm no longer a prisoner in my self imposed cell with a bottle as my only friend. I set myself free! AF:whee:

We all have to make those choices depending on how our life is affected by our drinking. Lots of great advise and support here.

Comment

Hello I am new

Great advice already Litre... just wanted to say :welcome: and hope you can join us in the "Newbie Nest" !

runningwind
                    The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind. William James (1842-1910)

Comment

Hello I am new

Doggygirl;840253 wrote: If motivation was what it took to drink moderately, there would be a lot of moderate drinkers around here. I really do think there is some sort of line that we cross and once crossed, it isn't very likely to go back.

I'm a pickle. (and can therefore never be a cucumber again)

DG
                      Ok...I may very well BE a pickle by now It just takes some time getting used to because I know a line's been crossed.

D

Comment

Hello I am new

Hi Litre and Welcome!
                        Glad to have you here. You've found a great group of folks that will be here to help and support you in any way you need. Also, you will notice how understaning everyone is, we've all been in every situation possible. So stay close and let us know how you're doing!
                        K9
                        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Hello I am new

Hi Litre and :welcome:
                          I can't moderate either.. I get a taste for AL and want more and more.. I have been succesful a couple of times with only having a couple of drinks, but many times I just go back for more.. which can lead to disaster!
                          Moderation only seems to work for a very small number of people (who have had issues with controlling drinking in the past) - I guess it comes down to knowing yourself.. and knowing and sticking to limits you set yourself, and not being in denial if you can't stick to those limits..
                          I know I find it very hard to control my drinking.. I am trying to give up completely.. I haven't yet, but since finding this site I have improved a great deal.. This is a great place to come for support with your drinking.. I suggest you look around the site and read some other threads and posts and come up with a plan for what you want to do with regards to your drinking..
                          Katie xx
                          "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

Hello I am new

Welcome Litre and GKIT,

This place is awesome. Lots of people who have been AF free for ages and lots who are just starting too. There's all sorts of threads, across all time zones so you shouldn't get lonely.

I can't believe how far I have come in 3 months.

Have a look around, read, post and ask ANY questions you want. No questions are silly.

Spam xx

Comment

Hello I am new

Welcome, Litre! We are practically neighbours - I've been through your pretty little town a number of times. All I can say is: read lots. There's tons of support here.:welcome:
                              "Kinda brainy, but with no common sense..." by permission of Anotherday

Comment

Working...
                              X