AF with hangover symptoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celebrating having made it my first weekend AF!!! AF free, just not hangover free, go figure?

Friday and Saturday were great spent with my 15 year old daughter and her friends driving them everywhere and hanging out. A wonderful feeling not to feel the need to be done and heading somewhere by 5 to get alcohol. The fun with them was greater than any drunk in past.

I did not have any cravings for alcohol and it was around me, easy to get, but I did have cravings for sugar which I don't eat (all my sugars been in alcohol) so I decided that chocolate would be better than drinking....

I ended up with the "exact" same symptoms as the two day hangovers I used to get from drinking. Migraine for 2 days, throwing up, sensitive to light......not moving for all of Saturday night and all day Sunday. Couldn't keep water down....

I think our higher power works in mysterious ways as if to say, just in case you even thought about drinking again, here is another taste of what it brings to you....I used to lose 2 to 4 days a week down time to hangovers the past few years...this was a taste of it and "without" alcohol....

Has anyone else ever had anything like this? Is it all part of the withdrawal process too? It happened on day 6 and 7 AF.
    AF since April 19, 2010
    NF since Nov 10, 2000

"One reason I don't drink is I want to know when I'm having a good time."
    -Lady Nancy Astor

Hi daybyday,

Nausea,dry mouth and headache. Eating too much chocolate?

It's all perfectly normal, your body is still in recovery. My advice is water, water and then some more water.

Even now if I over indulge in chocolate I can get a horrendous headache. I call them my chocolate hangovers.

:goodjob: on your week by the way.

J x
    :l
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Thanks J, and believe me I did eat ALOT of chocolate.....
      AF since April 19, 2010
      NF since Nov 10, 2000

-Lady Nancy Astor

Comment

Oh believe me I believe you, I think I ate my body weight in chocolate the 1st couple of weeks.

J x
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Cravings for sugar is very normal when we quit drinking. As you said, you got your sugar from AL and now your body is demanding it's sugar!

L-Glutamine (recommended as part of the My Way Out program in the book) is not only good to curb cravings for alcohol, but sugar as well.

Sugar seems to work a lot like AL, at least for me. If I eat a little of it, I crave a LOT of it. If I eat a LOT of it, I feel like I'm hungover from it.

For me, the best way is to keep both AL and extra sugar out of my life. I'm still having some ups and downs with the sugar part of it.

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I'm just waiting for the MWO book to arrive by mail, but I may go get the L-Glutamine right away. Thanks for the info!
            AF since April 19, 2010
            NF since Nov 10, 2000

-Lady Nancy Astor

Comment

Hi DbD..
              yep ditto wot JC & DG said..
              it is the withdrawls...water, water, water...
              and take vits and supplements..
              you are doing great..
              our bodies take a bashing from the AL and it takes time to get it on the right balance again,
              don't worry about choc or sweet cravings I think we all have that as we start the rollercoaster ride out of it..
              I know I did and still do, not as bad as at the start, but sweet things never bothered me before..and now I love it :H
              and the hangover feeling is norm as your body adjusts to the AL abstanance...
              just stick with it..
              it is worth it I promise you..:l

Comment

and L-Glut is great,
                also milk thistle.. helps your liver cleanse and cholesterol levels

Comment

JackieClaire;843712 wrote: Oh believe me I believe you, I think I ate my body weight in chocolate the 1st couple of weeks.

J x
                  :H - God, me too! Anything sweet I could get my paws on!
                  And yes, I was waiting for that GOOD feeling the first 2 weeks... it wasn't happening. I finally broke down and got on the water wagon and that seemed to help a lot.

Btw.. DG... is that YOUR doggie? (You'd kinda figure since he/she is your avatar) *drool* Beautiful dog!

JC, yours too, but I'm a sucker for shepherds
                  Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Hi DBD,
                    I am on day 25 and I am STILL experiencing this! Guess that proves how harmful alcohol really is to our bodies. I still experience heart palpitations and waves of nausea from time to time..I think my body is still trying to adjust to the poison being removed. I don't know if anyone else still experiences this after so much time?
                    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Hey Sunni,
                      That's Black Bess, my constant companion.(well an image of her as she's so black any photos we take of her just show her eyes )
                      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

[QUOTE=sunshine_gg;843728Btw.. DG... is that YOUR doggie? (You'd kinda figure since he/she is your avatar) *drool* Beautiful dog!

JC, yours too, but I'm a sucker for shepherds
                        Sunshine, that is Mr. Doggy's pride and joy "Cooper." (my suggestion for a "C" name was Can'tHaveAnotherDog) Cooper is a working lines shepherd from Euopean lines. Our other 2 Shepherds are German show lines - more the "red and black" look. Some would say "prettier" (although "pretty" is subjective!) but definitely not as strong in the working department as Cooper!

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Well, tell Mr. Doggy that I think Cooper is absolutely gorgeous!
                          I take it 'Can'tHaveAnotherDog' didn't go over so well????:H

JC, your Black Bess is beautiful, too I just have a mutt... chow/collie mix. He's not the brightest light in the sky but has a heart of gold
                          Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

K9Lover;843733 wrote: Hi DBD,
                            I am on day 25 and I am STILL experiencing this! Guess that proves how harmful alcohol really is to our bodies. I still experience heart palpitations and waves of nausea from time to time..I think my body is still trying to adjust to the poison being removed. I don't know if anyone else still experiences this after so much time?
                            Consider how long you drank. For me, that was over 30 years of almost daily drinking. 25 days is not even a drop in the bucket compared to the years I drank. It didn't take 30 years to feel like some healing took place, but I definitely had to give it more than a few days time.

Sunshine, my first dog of my own as an adult was a chow / shepherd mix. He was a cool dog. I think it was the chow part!

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

I really think that is what is helping me get over the cravings though, AL is honestly starting to feel like poison to me. Plus being so emotional with tears off and on since day 4.....tired of finding my comfort and happiness in a bottle but never being able to satisfy it.
                              Right now my number one and only thought is MY SOBRIETY COMES BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE....no drama of mine or anyone elses, just my sobriety.
                              AF since April 19, 2010
                              NF since Nov 10, 2000

-Lady Nancy Astor

Comment

Working...
                              X