Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

herbs and vitamin question.

Hi all,
    I've been reading posts and I have a question. When I quit Im good for a couple of days, happy and everything. Around day 3 or 4 I get so irritated and I can't control it. An example, I got so irritated because my husband ate a piece of bread with jelly after we ate dinner and then the kids wanted one. It was completely dumb to be that irritated. I am usually so mellow and a happy person. I was wondering if there is a natural herb or a tea to drink to calm my feelings so I dont decide that drinking is better than feeling so irritated. St. Johns Wart? I really don't want to take pharmacy pills. I would rather take herbs and homeopathic stuff. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Have a great day.

Montana Mommy--You could certainly try St. John's Wort--I prefer 5HTP--it mimicks tryptophan in the body with converts to seratonin, then melatonin. It is used for mood and helps to curb eating related to anxiety. Some will use valerian...I find it too strong. I have used St John's wort but think that 5HTP addresses our system more on a physiological base than psychological. Gaba is mentioned on this site I believe and is used by some with success as well. How do I know this. This is the type of business I operate and I am an Herbalist. Sometimes just a cup of chamomile tea is all you need...as long as you have not daisy allergies. Ok....I could go on.... Hope this helps.l

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Ringing Cedars;845300 wrote: Montana Mommy--You could certainly try St. John's Wort--I prefer 5HTP--it mimicks tryptophan in the body with converts to seratonin, then melatonin. It is used for mood and helps to curb eating related to anxiety. Some will use valerian...I find it too strong. I have used St John's wort but think that 5HTP addresses our system more on a physiological base than psychological. Gaba is mentioned on this site I believe and is used by some with success as well. How do I know this. This is the type of business I operate and I am an Herbalist. Sometimes just a cup of chamomile tea is all you need...as long as you have not daisy allergies. Ok....I could go on.... Hope this helps.l
      Sounds like it might be a good sleep aid?
      Coco

Comment

That's the beauty of it. You can just take one and feel calmer or you can take a couple to aid sleep. I don't use it much for sleep....I don't usually have problems with or without al....I have used it when my mind was racing, but I find I have wicked dreams then. wah....For folks with Fibromyalgia up to 300mgs per day is recommended.

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Ringing Cedars;845303 wrote: That's the beauty of it. You can just take one and feel calmer or you can take a couple to aid sleep. I don't use it much for sleep....I don't usually have problems with or without al....I have used it when my mind was racing, but I find I have wicked dreams then. wah....For folks with Fibromyalgia up to 300mgs per day is recommended.
          I may try it. I got some Melatonin from Dr. Mercola's site - doesn't do much for me. I prefer something natural over stuff like Excedrin PM - which makes me slurry and sluggish.
          Coco

Comment

I prefer it to melatonin as well. 5 HTP comes from a plant source--griffonia seeds--whereas melatonin is synthetic....gave me wonky dreams too. I am natural all the way....never take pharmaceuticals.....I even make my own wine I don't like the chemicals in store bought....and it does taste better....maybe I shouldn't say stuff like that here???

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Wow...Ringing...you are a font of information!!!!
              You can't take 5HTP if you take SSRI's (antidepressants) though, right??
              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna google 5HTP.... Okay, just googled it. Wow! That sounds great. I love that it says it "balances" the serotonin. Thanks. I never heard of it before. Im not depressed, but something has to be done about the irritability.

Comment

It can be used with antidepressants but must be balance with declining the med with increasing the 5HTP dosage.....if on heavy or high dose meds....best to work with a knowledgeable holistic doc or naturopath.
                  Thanks mama....tis my passion.:h

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

For mood stabilization early on, I got help from

Calmes Forte (part of the MWO recommended supplements list and starter pack, or at least it used to be!)

GABA (I bought the MWO brand)

L-Tryptophan

I wasn't necessarily taking these all at the same time.

Best wishes. Anything is better than drinking. And with time, healing takes place and you will most likely find the irritability vastly diminished or gone entirely. (other than normal ups and downs of life)

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Calmes Forte works for many too. L-tryptophan is synthetic like melatonin.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Ringing Cedars;845313 wrote: I prefer it to melatonin as well. 5 HTP comes from a plant source--griffonia seeds--whereas melatonin is synthetic....gave me wonky dreams too. I am natural all the way....never take pharmaceuticals.....I even make my own wine I don't like the chemicals in store bought....and it does taste better....maybe I shouldn't say stuff like that here???

What is a good source for the 5HTP?

Can you make us some non-alc wine??? (Most of the store bought tastes revolting and nothing like wine!)

I'm with you on the "natural" - I'd go raw but it's just way too much work!
                        Coco

Comment

lol...not sure how that's done.....I don't actually make the preparation...it is a blend my local winemaker has.....it's consider a premium like a VQA with less chemicals.....I can ask her the next time about something like that though....she's very knowledgeable in her profession....great idea Coco!!

I agree I don't have the time or commitment for a raw diet. Although I do make sure to get my greens and protein in sups.

Seeds from Griffonia simplicifolia are the natural source for 5HTP. Look for a product that is free from "Peak X"--a contaminant.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Here's another thought....the liver is the mother of all organs and when moma's not happy ain't nobody happy.....soooooo make sure you are keeping your liver happy with lemon juice....dandelion/milk thistle and NAC.....don't get me started. haha

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Ringing Cedars;845453 wrote: Here's another thought....the liver is the mother of all organs and when moma's not happy ain't nobody happy.....soooooo make sure you are keeping your liver happy with lemon juice....dandelion/milk thistle and NAC.....don't get me started. haha
                              No - this is great stuff! I'm taking 100 mg milk thistle daily. I also take Living Fuel - it's a wonderful product.
                              Coco

Comment

Working...
                              X