Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big rising of taxing cigarettes.. is alcohol next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Called a 'sin tax' in the USA. Cigarettes and alcohol heavily taxed here. California is proposing a huge tax on alcohol excise tax ie each six-pack of beer from 11? to $6.08. Great time to not drink. I'm thinking a black market is going to be the outcome though. TN has a huge increase in cigarette tax. The loose tobacco went up 150% which took out the choice to make your own cigarettes to save some money.

When they get through taxes our 'sins' they are talking of taxing sodas and fast food.

Comment

Yep - the main reason I quit smoking...

on Christmas Day (I like saying that..!)... of 2009: THE COST!!

Sad to say - I know it Should have been the health risk, etc. - but there ya go ... just became way too expensive.

Last year was the year of tax INCREASES, big time - my cigs went from about $2.50 to $5.00 (or more). And I know that's cheap compared to some places.

I quit drinking at the beginning of my quit smoking... two months! Longest ever? I did it partially because I wanted to get my drinking under control, but I Really did it because I was intent on quitting smoking - and I Knew that if I continued to drink, no way i wd quit smoking...

But now... I may be drinking more than ever! Or at least more frequently (as in Every day) -- I've been quit smoking for 4 months, and I think I'm drinking because it's my ONLY "bad habit"...

STUPID REASON, I know.
      Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

This is a really interesting thread - I had no idea there were so many different laws in so many parts of the world regarding AL and Cigs! Also had no idea they were so expensive in other parts of the world! I gave up mid Jan and am so glad I did! (both AL and Cigs). Thanks everyone for your input.

sunshinedaisies xx
        How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

I was just down the street and talking to a 70y-o pensioner; a fit old farmer in seemingly good health and a life-time, light smoker. He tells me his packet of roll-your-own tobacco has just gone up from $24.50 to $34.50. That's way more than the suggested 25% overnight increase.

So - does he intend to give up smoking? No way, he says. He'll just buy less food.

Wonder how many more addicted smokers will do just that?
          Didn't we always find some money to buy more booze? At the expense of something else?

Comment

TF - that's an interesting post.. I saw on the news this morning that the government actually don't want all ppl to stop smoking as the tax gives them too much money! And that is the problem, the poorer ppl that really shouldnt be able to afford to smoke, may end up buying less food or going without, even making their kids go without! I'm not sure if the price hike is worth it, though smoking does cause a lot of health problems, and that costs a lot of money too for the hospitals etc..
            When it comes to addictive substances though, ppl will do what they can to get hold of them.. such as heroin addicts stealing and commiting crime to fund their habit.. what is the answer here???
            Katie
            "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

Working...
            X