Boredom is the killer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boredom is the killer...

want2Bhealthy wrote: Habit, habit habit is very true, lush. When I'm doing something out of my normal routine, like a children's party or something, I don't even think about it. But when I'm home at night, I can't imagine not cracking open a beer and going with that for the rest of the night.

Any suggestions on the "small steps" idea?
    no idea like minded person do same thing need some advice

Comment

Boredom is the killer...

Unregistered wrote: Gateway, I'm trying to imagine you in a Girl Scout uniform....not getting there

Want2be, I don't think I want to go the topomax route just yet, sounds kind of scary. But I may try the hypnotherapy and the herb stuff. About 10 years ago, I quit smoking using an herbal formula and I never looked back. Very weird because I LOVED cigarettes. However, I will say that just as I was about to cave in and start again, I found out --I'm not making this up--that my friends had a betting pool as to how many days it would be before I caved. Well, that did it!! I wouldn't give them the satisfaction

I look forward to talking to you all more. It is so refreshing just to have a conversation about this. Very freeing.
      u still there smoke and drink need advice

Comment

Boredom is the killer...

u stuill there have prob

Comment

Boredom is the killer...

Hey unregistered, I feel like you are mocking us but perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps you could consider registering and then we could have a real conversation. Thanks!
          I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Boredom is the killer...

hi there mr. boredom

I have only realised in the last couple of weeks, that I may have a problem with drinking.
            It all started with having a couple of drinks after work on evening shifts to help me sleep.

Well, now, it only takes a shit day at work on ANY shift, and I want to drink. And most days are 'shit' because I hate my job.

From last night to tonight, after coming home from work, I consumed a whole 750mL bottle of vodka. NOW.... I'm not sure if that's boredom or just to relax. I just think I've drunk too much and I'm worried it will be a problem.

I am actually on trial for a different and interesting job and career opportunity, in a completely different field, SO, why am I still drinking so much? Shouldn't I be happy about a potential career change and not dependant on alcohol?

My partner's away today and so I feel 'bored'. But is that why I'm drinking? At times I think it is, although, i cant deny there must be underlying reasons. But I don't know what.

It just starts with one drink, and then I just HAVE to have 2 to 5 or more. I can't just have one. I also hate my habit, because i want to have children. I can't, if I treat my body like this. I hate this. Anyone out there have advise or ideas to stear me away from this addiction?

:new: ZG

Comment

Boredom is the killer...

re mr boredom

hi zaragirl
              as you know alcohol is a drug very similar to tranquillizers.this means that
              it wil require you to keep increasing your dose.also alcoholism is a very nasty progressive disease.so what may have started out as a fun thing turns into
              a drug addiction and you have to then heal your body,mind and spirit.
              the average person can either take or leave a drink but approx 10% of the population can't.
              it's too bad that we don't understand this until we develop problems.
              hang in there ,do the program and have faith.this will help a lot

Comment

Boredom is the killer...

i wanted to add that ive worked at a job i hated and it also included shift work
                i eventually quit that job because of insomnia and too much drinking
                my health was going downhill and i had to do something
                you may have to reconsider your situation
                our health is totally important and without health we can be faceing much worse things than boredom

Comment

Boredom is the killer...

Wow your story rings true to me on so many levels. Boredom is a killer. I used to be like you on the weekends...get a cask of wine and watch it slide on by...writing that makes me want to have a drink!

I don't know about you Sasquatch but I live on my own and sometimes those nights on my own are tough. I have a boyfriend who has no idea that I have a problem because I have been able to control myself around him (except once..see my post Newie needing encouragement).

When I first decided to be committed to kicking this habit I signed up for a bunch of different courses so I would be out of the house. These days I have been making mental lists of things that I want to do. I also have written a list of all the bad things alcohol contributes to my life ie how I feel when I drink mentally/physically, how happy you feel when you achieve alcohol free days/nights.

In saying all of this it is still a struggle, that is why these message boards are so important so we share what works and give encouragement. Something I like to keep in mind...anything that is less than what you were drinking regularly is an important step so don't give up.

Comment

Working...
                  X