Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a new start to ending an old habit

Hi Not Tonight
    Great that you have found us. You sound strong and resolute. I keep losing my resolution, but like you I have kids and I have to be strong for them. Anyone else find it disturbing that NT drank because it was normal and expected at home? That is a big reason for me to stop, because my 19yo already binge drinks occasionally (although this is a peer pressure problem in this country), and I don't want my younger ones to think it's normal. I'd like to sit them down and say "I am going to quit drinking from today" I haven't yet had the courage in case I disappoint them and myself, but I fear it may come to that if I can't do it on my own.

Convincing yourself of the need to stop is the big part. Some people like to take it ODAT (one day at a time). Others like to say "I don't drink" and that's it.

Comment

Hey Nottonight and DancingOn, I so agree with you NT, when I was stop/starting drinking I too found myself eventually drinking even more each time after abstaining - scary!! Don't know if its the same thing but I do know as regards food, the reason crash dieting is so harmful and useless is that people go back to even worse eating habits each time and most put on even more weight than they had in the first place - I reckon its the same something in our brains or something?
      Dancingon, I like the 'I don't drink', am committed to announcing that now, no more pussyfooting around!
      Molly
      Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
      contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Dancigon - I know what you mean about not wanting to tell you children that you are going to stop drinking. For one thing I fear it just draws more attention to the problem, which I foolishly hope is not so apparent. Secondly, if I relapse then they will lose faith in me. Last night I didn't drink, and was able to read 2 chapters of a book to my children before putting them to bed. Can't do that if I have started on the wine at 5:00. It's important to them.

Mollyka - What has become undeniable to me is the progressive nature of this disease, which is scaring me. Got to put on the brakes before going over the cliff. Just talking about the struggle on line these past couple of days has made a huge difference!

Enjoy your day all!
        While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Last night I didn't drink, and was able to read 2 chapters of a book to my children before putting them to bed. Can't do that if I have started on the wine at 5:00. It's important to them.
          Well done Not tonight and may I offer you a belated welcome. Great that you have decided to take your life back. MWO is a huge help to so many of us in making that choice, one that nobody ever regrets.
          Keep safe
          KTAB
          Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

not tonight;853575 wrote: Hi Pink Angel,
            Fantastic, I will defiantly be messaging you. I feel good now, but it's early days ( and only Tuesday) and I know the urges ahead will be menacing. It seems that each time I abstain for any amount of time, when I start drinking again the habit is stronger.
            I too worry about the impact my drinking is having on my children.

Last night I watched a documentary produced by the BBC called Rain in My Heart which follows 4 serious alcoholics, very hard to watch, but worth doing. Here is the link.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...ary-37717.html

Lets team up and beat this thing!
            :welcome: I was/am like that too. Get the Kudzu from this site and L-Glutamine in bulk.
            You can read about these here. The longer you stay AF the better you feel after a while you may find that you don't think about drinking anymore.

Remember this: The hangover lasts longer than the buzz.

Comment

Hi Florida Boy,

The hangover certainly does last longer than the buzz. It can rob me of a whole day of work. Thanks for the advice, on day 4 and feeling great! Have a wonderful day!
              While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Havent' been able to get on here for a few days. Wondering how Not Tonight is doing!! I'm on Day 9 - again - but really hoping I can do this, I have a few things to think around, but I have a difficult evening tomorrow. Meeting friends who I KNOW will want me to have just the ONE

Comment

HI tylr - thanks for thinking of me. I am on day 4 and feeling good. Went for a nice long run this morning. I know how hard it is to meet up with friends. I am supposed to meet some girlfriends for diner on Saturday, but going to pull out. Just too much of a temptation. When your with them could you try the old I'm on allergy pills and can not drink or I will vomit? Vomit usually puts most people off. There was this really interesting thread that daybyday posted, about nutrition and getting sober. If you have not already read it hear is the link.
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...ing-42332.html

Hang in there, and keep your eye on the prize!
                  Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Good to hear you're OK not tonight. I'm on Day 10 now, and feeling OK. Having cravings, and some thoughts of - I haven't had a drink for so many days, one will be fine - and so on. I will try something like the allergy pills tonight I think, I've been wondering what to do. I've bought a non-al bottle of wine for after the meal, when our friends come back to our house - I will probably get away with that one. Anyway, I feel quite strong at the moment.

I've got to do this, because thinking about AL all the time is draining. I don't want to be like this. Well done you on Day 5 now.

Comment

Working...
                    X