Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your plan to battle Alcohol?

Mazzie,
    Great plan also.. definately with the self-love part.. that's something I have to learn to do aswell.. though self-love and acceptance go hand in hand..
    I think I should try to abstain too.. moderation has failed for me too many times..
    Katie xx
    "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

Ah, Katie, our love affair with just that one glass!!!!
      Developing an Attitude of Gratitude

Comment

I think I will also write out a plan for the weekend.

I enjoy being at home, alone, puttering around my house & drinking beer. I can't say I enjoy being "out there" doing things that normal people like to do. Socializing with people, shopping, traffic, noise, the hustle & bustle, is hard on my psyche. It leaves me feeling about as empty as AL does. When I do get out & about it is to hurriedly grab what I need & get back home.

So, my plan is to get 'out there' and deal with it. This will probably be harder on me than AF.

Or maybe I just need to stop trying to distract myself and face 'the void'. Just sit with it & acknowledge it's existence.

I'm confused.

Comment

Hi Katie, I agree with newone. There is a major sugar metabolism issue with alcohol. The day after I drink alot all I want to do is carb out. I know I read a really interesting article specifically about this and if I find it I'll send it to you. That makes it very hard to stop at 2 glasses. Have you thought about prescription anti-depressants? Maybe you need to attack the problem on all fronts. I take them, but would still drink, not recommended, but I think my cravings were more alcohol/sugar related and stress than depression. Of course drinking makes you depressed. The supplements are helping me trememdously. If I find myself feeling the slide into depression, I will probably see if my Dr. will try something else or adjust dose. Good luck to you, you can do it!! Going on day 5!!

Comment

I kicked sugar about 10 years ago. One of the hardest things I ever did. The cravings were so painful it felt like being poked in the eye with a needle all the time....poke poke poke poke. It took years to beat the demon down.

I still have to stay on a low carb diet. But, as you can see, I am still doing it, I'm just doing it via alcohol. Same addiction, different delivery system.

I've had every addiction known to man. I beat one down just to have it manifest itself with a new face.

I've never been addicted to sex, shopping, or work. As you can see, it is easier to name what I haven't been addicted to. Right now I have 3 jobs. It's not hard to see where this is going for me.

Comment

Spam, I'm 50 and I was No. 6 in a family of 8 kids. I married young and then had 4 kids of my own so I have still been No. 6 in my family :H

In trying to get sober and stay that way I have discovered it a futile exercise unless I first change myself. By loving myself I mean that I want to treat myself at least as well as I treat other people. I would never criticize others, talk to them or think about them the way I have habitually treated, talked and thought about myself.

I can change the way I am and the way I think with a lot of work but I cannot do that at all if I continue to drink al because these roads are going in totally different directions.

Bom and NewOne - keep going - we're all on the same journey its just a bit different for each of us.
              Developing an Attitude of Gratitude

Comment

Spam;852954 wrote: Sorry, going off subject now..

Mazzie, I don't know how old you are. Katie - I know your age.

I am 39 and we were NOT raised to love ourselves. Liking / loving ourselves was considered vain. We were not allowed to think we were attractive, we were not allowed to say "I'm good at....". I was once banned from the school netball team because I asked to play a certain position because I was good at it.

Luckily, this has changed. The other day I asked my son if he was handsome and without any thought or embarrassment he said "yeah, I am."
                Spam - that is so true for the UK - we are told it is the right thing to take "the piss" out of yourself, and you are right - loving yourself or even liking yourself is considered vain in the uK - if people take "the piss out of" you, your supposed to be strong and laugh and joke and join in.. no wonder there's so many ppl with self-esteem issues there..
                Like you Spam, I was an excellent goal-shooter with netball, but I was never picked - when I scored a goal, everyone looked away like it never happened.. i gave up and became introverted.. seems like we had some similar experiences!
                Luckily its different in Oz - they support the underdog here...
                "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

Working...
                X