My plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My plan

I'm now coming up to 6 weeks/42 days AF and though it was time to post my plan - I'd never really written it down before but here it is. I've been using it since day 1 when things were really bad and it was very difficult at first to do some of the things - but now it's second nature.

What was/is my plan?

1. Be AL free ODAT, 1 minute at a time if need be
    2. Take each day as it comes
    3. Do everything I can to give myself the space I need so;

Work less
    Say "No" a lot
    Stay in a safe place if I need to no matter what
    Spend time posting and reading on MYO
    Do whatever I need to to not have a drink even if it isn't what others want me to do
    Talk to someone completely independent to me but whom I can trust on a daily basis - for me that was a counsellor I was lucky enough to have found.

4. Eat well avoiding simple sugars whereever possible
    5. Use camomile tea, L-Glut to help with relaxation and cravings
    6. Allow myself a bedtime treat of a lo-cal hot chocolate or hot milk
    7. Believe in myself and remember my mantra "It will all work out as long as I don't have a drink" whenever problems come up.

Some of the things like "Work less" didn't make sense at first, especially because that meant a drop in income. Actually it didn't since I was no longer spending money on AL, junk food plus taxis everywhere and I stopped having sick days/weeks off (I don't get paid when I have time off).

A year or two ago I'd have thought an AF plan would have to include lots of 'doing' things, such as filling my time. The truth is it's more of a change of mind plan and I actually spend huge swathes of time just chilling out, mooching around. Running around like an idiot, cramming activities into my days used to drive me back to drink to escape all the action.

My goal?not to drink ODAT. One other thing I've done is stop projecting to day XYZ number. Don't give a stuff about day 43 as long as I'm ok this minute in time. Of course 90 days is going to be the next landmark for me as they say it takes 3 months to make, or break a habit.

My plan

GREAT Plan Blonde!!!

Fair play to you..and I agre about the down time...it is very important to sometimes just sit there and "be".
    "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

My plan

one2many;852836 wrote: GREAT Plan Blonde!!!

Fair play to you..and I agre about the down time...it is very important to sometimes just sit there and "be".
      Yes I remember a keyworker in rehab telling me that's one very important thing - you need to learn to sit with yourself, without any distraction. We are so used to being with AL.

Comment

My plan

Yes....You have hit the nail on the head.....be with your sober self instead of slumped with your drunk self who, in fairness is not the real you anyway.

It takes time to learn and rediscover yourself again.....but it is always a happier, healthier, nicer person you find. xx
        "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
        NF 12th May 2010

Comment

My plan

fantastic plan,,,, you're gonna fly up to your 90 days with this great attitude
          Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
          Keep passing the open windows

Comment

My plan

blonde your plan is fantastic. so focused. you are doing amazingly well, keep going!

your posts always give good advice and best of all you are following it yourself. sometimes its so easy to look after everyone else but when it comes to ourselves, our wisdom and care falls on deaf ears, as if we are not as important as those we advise. 90 days will be at your door before you know it!:goodjob:
            The mind will intellectualize it, the heart will emotionalize it, yet the gut never lies.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9/girly-wirly-s-toolbox-2-45452.html

Comment

My plan

Well done you and congratulations on 6 weeks AF - It looks to me like it makes sense to have a plan and yours has worked for you.

Gonna sit down and work at mine.

Thanx UKBlonde
              Success is knowing when to sit back and enjoy the moment

Comment

My plan

Fantastic UK Blonde. I always enjoy reading other ppls plans. It gives great inspiration at times and ideas for ones own plan and at times its just cool to see how other ppl cope so differently. I definately am on the keep busy thing but then I have a relative relaxed life at work (mostly). So keeping busy at night time helps to distract me and is a lovely contrast to my day.
                Love the hot chocolate treat. :-) i'd definately be up to that. Must include it :-)
                AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

My plan

Thanks sometimes I comfort myself with the thought of the nice chocolate at the end of the evening. Seems to work.

Funny thing is I didn't start out with a plan written down, it sort of forumlated itself as I went along. Borne mostly from the fact I realised my sobriety HAD to take presidence over everything and everyone - because without it I was a very horrid and sad person who was causing a lot of pain for all concerned. I think that's the bit most people struggle with - "I can't do that because it would upset mum/dad/brother/friend/partner". Well my drinking was causing them about 10 times the distress me simply wanting to stay in posting on MYO was!

Comment

My plan

Very happy for you UK. Your dedication and determination is working so well to change your life. You are an encouragement to all. )

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

My plan

Great to read your plan, UK Blonde. Thank's for posting it.

Point # 3 is a great one. We must put ourselves first, and do whatever we have to do to get started. Congratulations on your af time, and keep going! Remember also.....gratitude thinking over deprivation thinking mode.
                      Don't forget yer Toolbox. Bravo!

Best wishes.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

My plan

It was nice to read ,thanks

Comment

My plan

UKblonde, thank you so much for sharing your plan. Since I have joined MWO I have always read your posts as you seem so sensible and honest in your recovery and in your support to others, including myself.
                          I loved your plan and hope to incorporate some of it into my own recovery. :thanks:
                          AF since April 19, 2010
                          NF since Nov 10, 2000

"One reason I don't drink is I want to know when I'm having a good time."
                          -Lady Nancy Astor

Comment

My plan

Ukblonde,
                            Sounds like a great plan, and you have covered all bases!
                            You have shown enourmous dedication and strength, which is to be admired.. well done and keep doing as you are, you are doing great!
                            Katie x
                            "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

Working...
                            X