Where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to start?

Today is another day that I wake up and say I am not going to drink. But today is the first day that I really mean it. I don't want to drink anymore. I don't want my son to see me staggering to bed anymore. I don't want to feel sick anymore. I don't want to hate myself anymore.

So, any advice where I should start? How do I really do this? I have been reading a lot here this morning and have gotten some ideas.

I am worried about withdrawals. I am scared I will find myself at the store buying more wine. I don't even know how I got to this point.

Where to start?

Hi LookingAhead,

Welcome to MWO, this is a good place!

Start by downloading the MWO book from the Health Store. It explains all the components of the program. I highly recommend the Hypnotherapy CDs as well. They really help you learn to relax without AL & getting you thinking in a more positive fashion.

You also need to make a good for yourself. Take a look in the https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html for good ideas.

Be prepared to drink lots of water to keep yourself well hydrated. If you have serious concerns about withdrawal symptoms, by all means contact your health care professional.

Please feel free to drop in the 'Newbies Nest' thread for additional support!
    Wishing you the best on your journey!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Where to start?

Hi LookingAhead -
      Welcome! This is a great place for help. I joined only last Sunday, and have found so much information and support. I am now on day 7 and am feeling very positive. Go to the Newbies Nest which a great forum for those of us starting out. If you are worried about withdrawal then perhaps you should consult a doctor first. Spend some time reading other peoples posts and you will find how not alone you really are. Read and post, read and post. There are many people here to help. Congratulations on the first step!
      While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Where to start?

Hi & welcome looking ahead, you have taken the first big step in fighting this monster, as lavande has said check out the site,you are more than welcome and remember that you are not alone, we have all/are been there,hope to see you around.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Where to start?

Lookingahead, I was in exactly the same place just a few days ago. Just have a look around and come back and talk.

Comment

Where to start?

I know everyone has to find their own plan, but for me baclofen is looking like a way out. I'm so new to this that I hesitate to comment, but the truth is I have not had a single craving today-- as of yet, and yesterday I drank half of what I normally drink with ease.... and I just started on the bac yesterday at the low starting dose.

So for anyone who hasn't read in the med section.... it could be for you too.

Comment

Where to start?

Thank you for the supportive replies. So now I am off work and home. On the way home, I started with the usual...."I should just stop and get a bottle of wine, I can stop drinking tomorrow". It has been tomorrow for over a year now. I don't want to drink anymore. I used one of the tips from another thread. I told myself that I don't drink. Now maybe I will go for a walk, anything to get out of the house and not think about it. I know I have to change my routine. But I am determined. I don't want to drink anymore. I don't want to drink anymore. I am so afraid I will give in, then I will give up on trying to quit.

Comment

Where to start?

One more question....when is the biggest risk for withdrawals?

Comment

Where to start?

Hi LookingAhead. This is a very good place to be for information and support. Not tonight's handle says it all, I think. Start with tonight and each night becomes *not tonight*. Sometimes moment by moment. Set your goals and reach for the stars. All the best.

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Where to start?

I keep repeating in my head everything I hear. "I don't drink" , "Not tonight", and esp tonight..."moment by moment". Thank you!!! I had a great sober night with my son. I could tell he was so happy, and I was so proud. I am going to bed now so I can wake up tomorrow and feel good about myself. I don't want to drink anymore.

Comment

Where to start?

keep going

After not drinking one day you will feel great.Never forget that.You need a strong reason to keep you going,for me is losing weight,and in order to do that I have to diet and go to gym,things you cannot do when you are drinking.I now it sounds shalow but I started to look so bad,my face is swelling,I am fat ,and I have heart palpitations,cannot sleep well...
                      I lost self confidence,I used to be a sexy girl and now I am a fat woman.You have to find something to motivate you,something very strong,otherwise you will sleep back.
                      I am only 7 days AF ,I am in no position to give advices,but somehow I feel stronger than any other time I tried.
                      I know if I will have just one glass I will go back ..I cannot stop at one glass...not yet.
                      I consider it as a chalenge in a way.I need to be better and have a stronger will so I can look in the mirror without seeing an ugly fat cow and hating her...
                      Just find your reasons.
                      In this state of mind I better die than have a glass.
                      God help us all!

That?s my way out!

Comment

Where to start?

Congrats on day 7 Katzy!!! Any reason to stop is the best reason. Mine is my son. And it feels wonderful this morning that I could look him in the eye without shame. I will do it again tomorrow morning because I will not drink!!!

Keep strong Katzy!!!

Comment

Where to start?

LookingAhead;859789 wrote: Thank you for the supportive replies. So now I am off work and home. On the way home, I started with the usual...."I should just stop and get a bottle of wine, I can stop drinking tomorrow". It has been tomorrow for over a year now. I don't want to drink anymore. I used one of the tips from another thread. I told myself that I don't drink. Now maybe I will go for a walk, anything to get out of the house and not think about it. I know I have to change my routine. But I am determined. I don't want to drink anymore. I don't want to drink anymore. I am so afraid I will give in, then I will give up on trying to quit.
                          Looking Ahead,
                          Those were the exact thoughts I had at the end - from first thing in the morning until I started drinking at night - " I will quit tommorow, I want to drink tonight". That is what alcohol is doing to our minds - you are not weak and you are normal. Unfortunately alcohol has a way of controlling our thoughts. I started on baclofen too just like Chi and by day 7, I started thinking of alcohol less and less. It started to control my thoughts less and less. Soon m7y thoughts became more about how glad I didnt drink than why I needed to drink.
                          Just my experience but Baclofen helps sooo much. It makes it alot easier to give up alcohol and lets you see why you should.
                          Good Luck!

Comment

Where to start?

I must start that mantra, 'not tonight I don't drink'.

Comment

Working...
                            X