Effortless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effortless?

Okay, so I finished reading "My Way Out" and was struck by Roberta's lack of struggle when she changed her drinking habits. I see a lot of people here (including me) struggling or even white-knuckling. I'm wondering if it's the Topamax that helped her so much...or was it just letting go of the fight?

Sometimes we just fight too hard, no? One of the biggest appeals of this program is that the struggle is over. Not that it's effortless, we down the pills and supplements and listen to hypnosis CDs... and do the work. But the struggle is over.

I'm gonna shout it from the rooftop -- THE STRUGGLE IS OVER!!!! No more guilt!!!!

The neighbors will think I'm drunk or something.

Effortless?

Lol. Well yeah. But I don't know about you but the way I have embarrassed myself in front of my neighbors in the past, this wouldn't matter so much anynmore :-)

I yearn for feeling inner peace and not to struggle with AL anymore one day. But is it really realistic tho? I mean if you don't watch out you can be sidetracked so easily as well?!!

But I love the thought of positive thinking. I think there is a lot of power in that. If you start obsessing about your struggle within it can only get worse.

I wish I had never touched that first drink...
    AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Effortless?

I know that sense I started taking Antabuse, my struggle is over. The only time I think about alcohol anymore is when I'm on here. I will continue to post and read though, as a reminder of how things used to be, and what could have been.
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Effortless?

K9Lover;863832 wrote: I know that sense I started taking Antabuse, my struggle is over. The only time I think about alcohol anymore is when I'm on here. I will continue to post and read though, as a reminder of how things used to be, and what could have been.
        LUV Antabuse. It's still the miracle drug to me. I do fight the battles at times tho. It's amazing. I know I can't drink, yet I struggle with the thought of how much I would want to.
        AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Effortless?

That's called acceptance. When we get to that point, it's just a lot easier to let it go. I know I wasn't what I'd call happy about it, but I had to accept I have to be AF, or suffer the consequences, which at this point in my life, and at my age, meant keep going downhill to the end, which seemed to be getting closer and closer every day. When you just accept it, you can move on.
          ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Effortless?

You are spot on dancelot, acceptance is key to recovery. I have tried many times in the past to quit, but I do not believe that I really accepted I had a progressive disease. This time I have completely accepted that my life will not function, that it will gradually deteriorate if I do not stop. This knowledge gives me some peace.
            While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Effortless?

Not tonight - Your words are perfect. Exactly my way of looking at it too.

some great threads and posts out there this week!!

Talk is cheap - Action is what matters

Acceptance is the key to recovery and knowing if we continue down this path WE WILL DETERIORATE

good stuff. Will say this over a few times tonight when the cravings hit!

Many Thanks!

Comment

Effortless?

Hey Meech and you all are right...im over being sick and tired, drunk and depressed...Keep it up Not Tonight!!!

Comment

Effortless?

Some great points here and a lot of positive thinking.

I do believe in the saying 'I think therefore I am'. We all need to change the thought process.

I think (I am sober) therefore I am (sober)

Right now I think (I am going to do the ironing) therefore I am (going to do the ironing)

Catch up later

QQ
                  Success is knowing when to sit back and enjoy the moment

Comment

Effortless?

You lot are so right. When I finally gave in and accepted that I cant drink, I cant moderate, it makes it so much easier. That struggle is over. I still have to remind myself I cant drink even after nearly five months sober, but it certainly is getting better.
                    I dont often think about drinking now which helps if I am not so focused on AL. It really is a journey but one I am glad I am on.
                    HC
                    I finally got it!
                    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become" Buddah

Comment

Working...
                    X