My doctor seems judgemental

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to stop drinking ... am up to 1.5 bottles of wine a day, and hiding it from everyone. I can function well and no one knows. I went to the doctor to get a blood pressure reading and it was through the roof - I told him the last few months had been stressful and that I had been drinking. He ordered an immediate blood test and results come in a few days. I have been drinking this heavily for about 5 years now and I am scared of what the tests will show and scared I have done some irreparable damage. He mentioned Antabuse, so maybe that is my next step. In the meantime I am coming back on anti-depressants (that I never should have stopped) and that is causing some anxiety and paranoia. I got scared by my doctor's double-take at the blood pressure reading and his stony silence. I dread going back to hear the results. In the meantime I am still drinking.

Hi Mickey, Join the club!!
    Ok you know you have to stop and that's the main thing. The attitude of some doctors can be very offputting especially when we are so vulnerable. However the facts remain the same - your blood pressure is high and chances are if you've been drinking heavily for 5 yrs the blood tests won't be brilliant, but if you are willing to give up the grog the body is incredibly resilient. I never really had blood pressure problems but my liver function tests were awful to put it mildly and now a few months later they are absolutely A1, so its usually fixable.
    Go back and get the results of the tests and if he is still not communicating with you and helping you maybe you should then find another doctor.
    Reading your post, you know you have to stop drinking and everything will fall into place then
    Good luck
    Molly
    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Hi Mickey,

I can feel your pain. Most doctors know only about Antabuse and not the other very-helpful anti-craving meds like Naltrexone (Revia) and Baclofen. You have taken the big first step in admitting it's gotten out of control. I'm with Mollyka, if your doctor seems judgmental or indifferent, find another doctor and tell him you're doing so. I did that and man, my doc woke up in a heartbeat. I will also tell you from my own experience when I was drinking heavily (not anymore due to Naltexone) that my blood pressure was also off the charts. If you even stop drinking for a week, you will find that your blood pressure will probably be normal and your liver function tests as well. My liver function tests were horrible when I was drinking hard liquor but after being AF for a week, they were just fine. You know you have to stop drinking and like Mollyka said, everything else will fall into place. Good luck and someone will always be around here at MWO to help.

Like Molly, sober today as well,

Rusty

Comment

Hi Mickey and welcome. There is no doubt that AL takes it's toll on us physically, whether we are high functioning or whether we are sitting under a bridge. Congratulations on your decision to quit.

There are tons of posts here from people using all kinds of methods to quit AL. As mentioned above, there are several options for prescription med support. There are the additional components of the MWO program - nutritional support, hypnosis CD support, exercise suggestions, etc. I hope you will take time to read a lot and post your questions. Your doc (this one or a different one) can probably help you even more if you are honest, and also well informed.

Strength and hope to you on your journey to sobriety. I can relate to your comment about hiding it. I'm so glad I live "out in the open" these days. I find a more honest way of living to be far less stressful than my cloak and daggar days with AL.

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Mickey, the 'problem' with a lot of GP's today and what I personally found with mine is that he didn't understand the nature of the alcoholism. He did all the necessary tests, (blood pressure, liver function etc.) prescribed the anti-craving meds. and anti depressants. Then finally continued to prescribe antabuse under the proviso that I sought counseling whilst taking it. It's an expensive drug to prescribe apparently.

My experience was this: I felt my GP tried his best to help me in the long run. But at the end of the day I got the impression (at the time) although very sympathetic to my needs he didn't know what else to do with me. He eventually referred me to an outside agency that he had heard was doing great things with alcoholics and addicts in the community. This project known as The Social Partnership was where things started to really change for me.

GP's can only do so much as far as I'm concerned (just my opinion). They can have a sympathetic ear, prescribe medication and make you aware of the physical damage you are doing to your body. But anything more than that is beyond their capabilities. I think my GP's frustrations, to me at times, did seem that he didn't care or I was being judged because of my consistent relapsing and time-wasting. Again this was how I perceived it at the time. I had high expectations of my GP too. I guess I wanted him to cure me and make everything OK. Isn't that what we go to see a GP for in the first place? :H

The Agency I approached was like a "one stop shop" if you like. I got a support worker who worked with me and this enabled me to see the choices ahead of me. He didn't wrap it up in cotton wool either. He had been sober for 12 years and all the people working within this project were either addicts or alcoholics who'd found sobriety. Some through the fellowship and some through other means. I was never forced to go to meetings or to go into rehab or a residential or anything like that. This was a place that could signpost me to places that I would benefit from. I had regular meetings with my support worker and it was me that made all the choices in my recovery. I chose to go to Narcotics Anonymous and go into a day treatment center. I chose to join up with other organisations that had activities running that would keep me occupied and in the company of other people who were struggling like me.

Is there nothing like this in your area that your GP may be able to refer you to? In the UK these agencies are becoming the norm these days. Funding from the UK's Drug and Alcohol Action Team (DAAT) has been incredible over the last few years. (nearly ?400 million alone last year). Recovery is big business in this country and it's obvious the government wants less burden on our already depleting NHS service. This includes time spent by GP's addressing the problems of alcoholism and addiction.

As far as the tests go I wouldn't be too hasty in assuming the worst. I had alcoholic hepatitis which cleared up quite quickly once I was abstinent for 6 months. My liver function tests were high and blood pressure too but it's amazing what a bit of sobriety will do for you!

Keep ya chin up.

Many Blessings
          Phil
          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
          Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

I wouldn't be too worried about one high BP reading...especially if you were anxious at the time. I suggest you buy a BP monitor and check it yourself. Do it at varying times through the day.

Comment

Thank you so much for all your support!

Thank you so very much for such fast and warming support. I have been called into the doctor to go through some tests, one of which is 'elevated liver'. I can't believe how anxious I feel. I am going to re-read all of your kind messages of support again before I see the doctor again today. Very much appreciated you would take the time.
              Love, Mickey16

Comment

Mickey, I am soooo in your shoes. My BP is high, my Cholesterol is High, my Homocysteine level is High (heart attack/stroke marker), my Cardio CRP is High (another heart attack/stroke marker).

I went to a Cardiologist on Friday and he was floored at the amt of beer I drink every day. Said that if I cut it way back or quit then all of those numbers would/should drastically improve, and quickly (unless it's too late and the damage has already been done).

Also, I have some high Liver function levels and the doc said those would/should diminish/lower greatly upon the cut-back/quit.

I was scared as heck last week when I received my test results. Now, I'm feeling much more calm as I've had the weekend to process it all, HOWEVER - bottom line is I HAVE TO make some major changes to my lifestyle OR......

Try to take some deep breaths, listen to the docs advice, do what YOU KNOW in your gut that you need to do, etc.

I'm just starting this journey as well - but together and with the help of others here, surely we will succeed!!! I'm feeling optimistic (but seriously, what choice do I have)
                NF - 3/17/09

AF since 5/24/10

Comment

welcome mickey16

i am so glad you have found mwo. i stumbled on the site on the 4th may and managed 18 sober days, just by reading and posting here. i had a slip up at the weekend and drank some but now i'm back here, thanks to the support of the lovely people here ready to get sober again.

it's a great place and it sounds like you are ready to make the effort to get well.

good luck, be good and listen to the advice given to you here and i will too!

your bp will be just fine in no time xx:l
                  The mind will intellectualize it, the heart will emotionalize it, yet the gut never lies.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9/girly-wirly-s-toolbox-2-45452.html

Comment

Mickey
                    If u want to stop, u should look into baclofen. I have been AF for 3 months because of baclofen. U can ask you Dr if they have heard of it. If u would like more info, let me know.

Comment

Hey Road,

Is that RX Baclofen available in the US? Sounds like it could be my magic pill.....
                      NF - 3/17/09

AF since 5/24/10

Comment

Hope the doctors visit went OK Mickey. I don't think 1 1/2 bottles of wine a day is too serious. My wife, who is French, has drunk a bottle of red a day for many years with no ill effects. Maybe it's in her genes? Her brother has done pretty much the same only more so. Mind you he is a man and at 210lbs can probably handle it better. These days he tends to drink 8% bottles rather than the 14% regular stuff.
                        I would like to write more but my cat is sitting in the Captain's chair...she is a dear old soul and 17 now so I won't arse her out. Keep posting and let us know how you're going. Have to stop now...leaning over is making me feel like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Comment

In all honesty your doctor simply sounds concerned for you. He's seen worrying signs of something affecting your health and he is hardly going to sit there and throw a party. GPs are limited but will/can refer you to other services plus there are places out there you can self-refer to too.

Comment

Blue Heeler;866101 wrote: Hope the doctors visit went OK Mickey. I don't think 1 1/2 bottles of wine a day is too serious. My wife, who is French, has drunk a bottle of red a day for many years with no ill effects. Maybe it's in her genes? Her brother has done pretty much the same only more so. Mind you he is a man and at 210lbs can probably handle it better. These days he tends to drink 8% bottles rather than the 14% regular stuff.
                            I would like to write more but my cat is sitting in the Captain's chair...she is a dear old soul and 17 now so I won't arse her out. Keep posting and let us know how you're going. Have to stop now...leaning over is making me feel like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.
                            Regardless of how well or not a person seems to handle it on the surface, I have never seen any literature suggesting that 1.5 bottles of wine per day is medically safe.

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I'm sure you are right Doggygirl.
                              The problem is how much is too much? I have read that one or two glasses a day can be beneficial. In my case I would see that as a complete waste of time and wouldn't even bother with it.
                              I know that there are many factors that come into the assessment of 'enough.' These include alc. content, speed of drinking, body weight, eating, sex and general health and fitness.
                              Unfortunately I don't know the complete formula and would love to hear if anyone has worked it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X