Tyring to be supportive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyring to be supportive.

My husband is currently combatting alcohol abuse. After nine days he has no bouts of drunkeness, just partaking. I know this forum was not created for my types, as I do not have this battle, but felt assured that I would find support that would help me help him. We have been married for almost a decade and it took me most of that time to realize this was not just something he could switch off. Ultimatums, bargaining and pleading do not work. It was never about me, although I thought it meant he was unhappy and therefore did not care that he would drive me away. He had to make this choice and and choose it everyday, with our without me. My inability to fix this for him and us was incredibly frustrating and sometimes hopeless. Each time he would overuse he would earnestly make plans promises pronouncements that he would eventually break. I had to balance being supportive vs not believing so much that the plan would be successful so that I would not have my heart broken when he failed. I have hope that he is able to make this work and appreciate this forum: he does not feel alone. He was able to chase away his feeling of being insane as he found so many that shared his mindset. Thank you all for your encouragement, be strong in your fight, and choose the life you wish to live everyday. Oct21
Working...
X