Just starting out on Topamax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everybody, wow this is so weird writting this down as I have a tough time admitting I have a problem with my drinking, it's very scary to be writting it down as it makes it real. Anyway I thought I'd give the supplements a try first to see if I could get by on those, but they didn't pack the punch I needed, so I've resorted to Topamax with some trepidation, I was on it about 5 years ago for migraine headaches and expereinced the worst kind of anxiety and irritatbilty. I was a young Mum with two young Chn under 3 at the time, so I'm hopeing it won't be so bad this time round, but only four day's in and on the lowest dose I'm irritable and teary....I have left out my reason for taking it to my Dr saying I want to try it again for my headaches, which is also true, plus I know it helped me loose weight before, so I'm just trying to hang in there. I'm also mourning the loss of the escape that my champs gave me and that lovely Buzz that got me through the crappy routine. I'm self aware enough to know that I need to change some things in my relationship too, but it was so much easier hiding in a blissfull bubbly haze.:new:

Hi and Welcome Chickey,
    First of all, I know nothing about Topamax so someone else will come along to talk about that. We all understand the mourning of 'the escape', it let so much go by without hurting didn't it, but as you well know its not real, it IS just escaping and the day comes when we have to face up to all those things. My tuppence worth to you would be don't dwell too much on what needs to be dealt with yet, just get the booze out of the equation for a couple of weeks at least, a lot then will actually seem to fall into place and the things that don't will be much easier to deal with with a clear mind and a healthy body. Just concentrate on yourself for now - it all stems from there.:welcome:
    Molly
    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Hey Chickey Babe. Welcome. Good to have another fellow Aussie on board.

I havent tried topa although I did order it at the start but just didnt bother taking it. The supps and CD's have worked for me. And coming here each day, sometimes a few times each day, has really helped. I have made some wonderful friends (hi Moll x) and got so much support from them when the going got tough.

That blissful bubbly haze got me in too much trouble and I am guessing you too or you wouldnt be here. I still miss that buzz I got from AL (champagne was my poison too) but it is just not worth it anymore.

Good luck with your journey, come visit us often.

Hippy Chick
      I finally got it!
      "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become" Buddah

Comment

Hi Chickey and a big welcome to you. sounds like you are facing a doubly hard problem. I do take Topa and have had no trouble on it at all - I started on it in December and was AF by early Jan. I also have lost weight although that wasn't something that I particularly wanted! In the book there are various supps that are suggested for various side effects - check and see what might help with your feelings. Some of it might be your situation.

I know what you mean by the escape - I had THE worst day on Saturday and as I drove home I could almost taste the Guinness and just wished and wished I did drink so I could experience that wonderful feeling in that first hour. Instead I came here to this site and read lots of posts! It is hard to lose that, BUT you will feel so much better once you have stopped. That first hour just isn't worth the rest of it, and the day that follows.

Try the Topa again and if it doesn't work for you, a lot of folk on here have had success with Baclofen or Naltrexone. I have been very lucky with the Topa and no side effects but I know that like everything, it doesn't work for everyone.

I wish you well with it - see what is suggested. Rhodiola is excellent and works very quickly but gently and to me, might be worth a try for you.

Take care Chickey, Sunshinedaisies xx
        How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Thanks so much everybody, you are all so lovely, words can't express the overwhelming relief and gratitute I feel for your open acceptance and support, and for welcoming me into what I can feel deep within me now will be a great source of strength and wisdom.

Sunshinsdaisies it's reassuring to know that you are having success on the topa,:l I'm going to keep going with it as I'm hoping the supplements will counteract some of it and it could also be a bit of withdrawal too perhaps??, and thanks for your wise advice about the first hr not being worth it, you are right:-), I'll look into Rhodiola I hadn't heard of that yet thanks good to know of back up options. Happy to hear the topa is working so well for you, thats so fantastic!!!!, :goodjob:

Hiya Hippy Chick, hey there from down under, and yes my bubbly got me into some trouble here and there, but mostly I just want to get fit and healthy again, I'm finding I'm forgetting way too many things and and being blond is only going to get me so far:-), plus I'm missing out on my boys childhood too much. But the great thing about the topa so far is that I've cut my drinking waaaay back, and even though I miss my buzz I'm feeling so much better the next day and my eyes are sparkling again without the help of the eyedrops. Just got to fight these side effects somehow, and my hubby knows he has to pull his socks up and he will do it when I prove he has to I spose. Anyway nice to meet you and thanks for making me feel so welcome, your an inspiration, :goodjob:good on you for getting by on the supps and the cds, I haven't got the cds yet they were my next try, but the postage from America was so costly for my supps and book I was putting it off, is there anywhere is australia I can buy the cd's??:thanks:

And Molly :lwhat a kind sweet soul I sense you have, thanks for welcoming me here and for your intuition into my home situation, yes I agree I need to get healthy and strong befor I can work through my issues at home here, and they aren't really too big, just will take a bit of time and effort.

Take special care all of you and have a great day
          Warm thoughts
          Chickey Babe xo

Comment

Working...
          X