Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My plan

Hi everyone, new in town here but have been lurking for a while... :new:

First, on behalf of lurkers everywhere, thanks to all for such an active, open and honest forum - I love that everyone supports each other no matter the goal or approach, just sharing what worked for them.

Now, about me and my plan, so far. This isn't my first rodeo, as they say, so I've come to where I am with just enough insight into myself to know being AF is what my goal needs to be. I tried moderation and in the end, the only thing I could reliably keep control of was the brand of vodka I was buying, not how much ;-) Nightly drinking turned into a couple in the morning to get rid of the headaches, earlier and earlier happy hours, etc., you probably know the drill.

So far I've managed to scrape together just over a week AF, using a combination of supplements (L-Glut, PC and DMAE), shifting goals to family activities, a bit of exercise, and grinding through the craving, insomnia, and other nasty stuff. I am planning on using Bac to support me since I identify with the anxious, overactive brain stuff it seems to help with in addition to the craving. It hasn't come in yet but I'm really hopeful it will help make this just a little easier. I've been through the AA route, and am not ruling it out, but given my previous experiences, travel schedule, etc. I think I am looking for my own MYO.

I'm am looking into counseling and wondered what type others have found useful - group, one on one talk therapy, CBT, hypnotherapy, etc. What have you guys found in that area that helped you?

Anyways, thanks again for all the posts I've read over the last few weeks - it brought me to where I am today, which is a much better place than a week ago even with the craving and other nasties.

SoFlo
    "I will restore to you the years that the locust has eaten"
    AF since June 24, 2011

My plan

Hiya SoFlo
    You seem to be very clued in to what you have to do! I am very admiring - I was all over the place when I started here first. I'm afraid I know nothing of meds or counselling, I just sort of wing it, but just wanted to welcome you and loads of people will be along with answers to your questions
    Molly:welcome:
    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

My plan

Hello SFo, You found the right place, you are very welcome, keep reading and posting - this place is a life saver.
      Regarding counseling yes go for it, it has helped me, someone to spill your guts to and feel good about it after.
      I will leave you with a saying I found yesterday "We have good news and bad news here. The good news is you never have to drink again even if you want to. The bad news is that we're your new friends."
      Wishing you all the best in your journey

Comment

My plan

Welcome SoFlo! I can sure relate to the escalation of problems related to Vodka (earlier and earlier in the day, etc.) and the inability to drink in moderation. I too found exercise and the supplements such as L-Glut to be invaluable ( I used the whole Starter Pack). I spill my guts at AA and it only costs me the voluntary $1 I put in the basket each time. It's been working great for me! :H All kidding aside, I do think it has helped me a lot to talk through a lot of stuff. If AA isn't a good route, I would certainly encourage something else such as counselling. There are lots of people around MWO who do group therapy stuff, individual stuff, etc.

Best wishes to you on your journey and congrats on your first AF week!

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

My plan

Thanks for the welcome guys, and DG, now that we've met, congrats on the two years, I can't even imagine that right now. :rockon:
          "I will restore to you the years that the locust has eaten"
          AF since June 24, 2011

Comment

My plan

Hi SoFlo1 - You are in the right place. I found the supplements to be very helpful. Just started one-on-one with a therapist and as painful as it has been, I am starting to feel better. Keeping yourself busy and not focusing on activiites where you were drinking is very important. Everyone has their own way of making it thru each day, but I can tell you that I tell myself over and over - "there is no option here, start drinking again and you will ruin the rest of your life." It's a hard truth for me, but it's the truth. Good luck on your own strategy to go AF - we are here to support you!!

Comment

Working...
            X