Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ODAT - Thurs 27th May

Hey SoFlo,

I have visited the Ft. Lauderdale area before pretty much just to party. Is it really that bad over there as far as drinking goes? I guess that might be a stupid question because it seems Florida in general is a Jimmy Buffet song and living in Paradise means with a drink in hand! It doesnt have to be though, just remember that. And even the most social drinking person, can have just as big as problems too, they just might be better at covering them up.

Glad your here and look forward to getting to know you better!
    I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

ODAT - Thurs 27th May

OverIt, Drinking is a HUGE deal on this part of the FL coast - to me it's a strange mix of fast paced party lifestyle, a la metro areas like NYC, and laid back tropical party time. Basically, there's always an excuse to booze if you want to (though I'm sure that would be the same for me even if I lived at the North Pole...)

Not to be judgemental, but I really have seen the negative affects of many of the "social drinkers" around me - bad hangovers "treated" with early beers at the beach, marriages on thin ice, kids growing up missing time with the parents, etc. In my case, it was all those plus lots of non-social drinking at home, which became anti-social in the last year or so.

FL does give us some nice non-drinking diversions like you say, and I'm looking forward to things like fishing without a hangover, trying scuba diving, taking weekend trips, etc. I'm trying not to get ahead of myself but I'm just really feeling like I've lost time. Just for this Thursday, though, I'll keep it simple and not drink.

Anyways, happy sober May 27 to all!
      "I will restore to you the years that the locust has eaten"
      AF since June 24, 2011

Comment

ODAT - Thurs 27th May

Hi everyone and :welcome: SoFlo! Glad you've joined us!
        I'm just checkin in, still taking it ODAT... Wow, you Florida folks sure have a lot of temptation! Guess I'm lucky I live in a boring little town. I am right smack dab in the middle of "Wine Country"....but thank goodness I don't even like wine! The vineyards are really pretty though. I live about 20 miles from Michael Jackson's ranch, although I've never been there. Guess I'll stop my rambling now and attempt to start my work day.

Stay strong everyone!
        K9
        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

ODAT - Thurs 27th May

Hi everyone and SoFlo, welcome. I live in an area where drinking is pretty much everywhere too. Of course, I usually am the first one at wherever there is drinking! But not today!! Today is Day 9 for me. Feeling so much better it is scary! But I couldn't believe it. Last night this fast thought went through my head....Maybe I don't have to give up drinking forever.....Maybe I could just drink on trips, etc. I was amazed. Given that only 9 days ago, I felt like I was going to die. AL is a worthy opponent. But for me TODAY I will be AF. And then tomorrow will be Day 10 and not Day 1 again.
          prancy

Comment

ODAT - Thurs 27th May

Congratulations on staying strong Prancy...you're doing awesome!
            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

ODAT - Thurs 27th May

Hey prancy, boy do I know those thoughts well... here are a few of my failed experiments:

1. Geographical - I'll only drink on biz trips, where customers generally expect it and I have to be on good behavior... until dinner is over, the hotel bar beckons, the package store is around the corner, yada yada.

2. Chronological - I'll only drink after 5pm on weekdays, noon on weekends, maybe morning mimosas or something on special occiasions... until a special occiasion just happens to be I'm hung over and feeling crappy, the weekend starts on Thursday, and of course, it's always 5 oclock somewhere.

3. Mathematical - I'll allow myself 1 drink when drinking alone, 2 if a social setting, 4 if an all out special occiasion (New Years, etc.), until my 1 alone drink got stiffer and stiffer, "social" started to be hanging out on the net and counted for 2, and special occasions come all the time when you add in BBQs, birthdays, holidays, etc.

I've tried these and other plans, all with the best of intenions, all ending in disaster eventually. In the end, I figured out that for me moderation just didn't make any sense - I mean why would you stop at 1 when 2 is better? Once you have 2, what difference does 3 make?

I think you and I are in almost exactly the same spot, my first AF day was May 17, sounds like you were a day after. Let's both of us not drink today.

Congrats on getting through the worst of it (at least for me).

Stay strong,
              SoFlo
              "I will restore to you the years that the locust has eaten"
              AF since June 24, 2011

Comment

ODAT - Thurs 27th May

SoFlo, you so know. (little humor there).
                I have tried all those things too many times over. Truth be told, I reach a certain point and I even forget I am counting. The next morning I wake up and think what the heck happened. I'm on. Let's both of us not drink today. prancy

Comment

Working...
                X