Day1 to day5..My first post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don?t want to drink any more. I don?t need to drink anymore. Wake up feeling crap. Don?t want to do anything for the rest of the day. Feel guilty because my body is telling me its not doing you any good. So why the hell do I still do it.
    It?s the F word..FRIDAY. For 32 years after a hard week of work there is nothing nicer than getting drunk on a Friday after work. Be it with mates at the pub or at home with the wife or even by myself on occaisions. Or if I?m having a few weeks off,I just seem to want to get drunk every second day. I cant seem to control it and it scares me. I just don?t want to do it anymore. I can remember at times (on rare occaisions) that I wont have a drink for a couple of weeks and the clarity with my thinking had improved so much. My mind wasn?t cloudy anymore. I want that back. Every time I say to myself ?I?m not going to drink this Friday?, seems to work until that last second when I step out that door from work. Its like a switch that I cant turn off.
    I?m going to make an appointment to see my doctor as soon as possible (unfortunatly he has a 2 week waiting list). There are some tablets I heard that can help stop the cravings, maybe they will help.
    I have to do night shift this week (which is very unusual) which includes Friday night. Maybe this will break the cycle and be the begining of a sober future, you never know. But I?m going to count today as day 1 and see how I go. Wish me luck.

Well it?s day 5 without a drink, which really isn?t unusual if I?m working during the week as I?ve always forced myself never let the grog interfere with my work.
    But today is the dreaded F word? FRIDAY. Normally the mates will ring me or even the work mates will say lets go to the pub. Being Friday the end of a hard week I find it almost impossible to say no.
    Today I have an advantage over this poison. I will be doing night shift till 11pm (night shift is very unusal with my job) and as I found out last night I have another week of night shift next week which I think is fantastic.
    I am extremly confident that I will not come home at midnight tonight and get drunk. So if I can get through tonight I am certain
    I will be right for the weekend. As long as the mates don?t ring and pressure me to have a few.
    Wish me luck.

Math,

How about if the mates ring you, you say, "no, not tonight I am too tired."

You can do that. Go home AND get a good rest.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Thanks Cinders. Simple but good.

Comment

Hi Matho, 5 Days is very impressive to me. Before I found MWO I hadn't gone without a drink on a daily basis for many years. Planning something different before the mates call is a good idea then you have a response ready to give them to get you out of drinking. I hung out with all my old friends this weekend, all weekend without a drink and no one questioned it. It did take me over a month to get comfortable with that though.
        Glad you found this site, come on here if you need support, it's a great place to get AF! :welcome:
        AF since April 19, 2010
        NF since Nov 10, 2000

"One reason I don't drink is I want to know when I'm having a good time."
        -Lady Nancy Astor

Comment

Hi Matho and welcome to MWO you have taken the first step admitting you have a problem and the second step coming here.

My advice 'Don't answer the phone'. Your habit sounds very much like mine only I had wine almost every night. Since joining here I have found lots of support, advice and more important people who care and understand. April had AL on 8 days before joining here, possibly could have managed 8 days without. May so far 6 days with AL. I am starting to realise I will never be cured and that it is down to me to control this awful habit. Day by day this place is teaching me about me.

Good luck and you CAN do this.

QQ
          Success is knowing when to sit back and enjoy the moment

Comment

welcome matho,

great that you are on nightshift so you can perhaps break some drinking patterns. just tell your mates you are having a cosy evening with your wife, then do just that, watch a dvd together with maybe a few comfort foods and some fruit juice. good luck on your journey and remember

if nothing changes, then nothing changes.
            The mind will intellectualize it, the heart will emotionalize it, yet the gut never lies.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9/girly-wirly-s-toolbox-2-45452.html

Comment

Hi Matho and welcome. The fact that you say you are ready to quit is great news, and you already have five days racked up - good job. The dreaded Friday, I remember it well. I spent so many Monday - Wednesday's fooling myself that I had quit, and by Friday, it had all started again. The weekends were the toughest for me to work through in my early weeks of sobriety. You can do it Matho, it is hard work, but it is worth it. Like you write, you feel so much better waking up sober, and walking around clear headed - without guilt too! All the best,
              Hill
              Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Hi Matho,

We are all here for the same damn reason, trying to beat this alcohol monster. I personally drink every 3rd day why? Who the hell knows. I know deep down its not worth it. We all do.

Welcome here and I hope you find great success with us! Were all in the same boat so lets help each other stay afloat!!!

Overit
                I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

:thanks:Wow! Thank you all very much for the warm welcome. I already feel that this place will give me heaps of support and in return I will definately give mine.

Comment

Hi Matho!
                    Welcome, we're glad to have you here. You've taken a great first step by posting. We all understand where you're coming from. Over the past 10+ years I can't remember how many times I went 4 days in a row without drinking...for some reason day 4 was always where I would give in. Now I am at 57 days alcohol free, and I know that a lot of it has to do with the wonderful people and support from this site. So please keep reading and posting, and let us know how you're doing. I look forward to getting to know you!
                    K9
                    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Working...
                    X