New here, need support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here, need support

:new:Good morning everyone. Newbie Here! I came across this forum doing a search for Kudzu and it's exactly what I have been looking for. I needed something other than the 12-step, strictly AF program. I just want to get back to a healthy moderation. Right now drink of choice is a 1/2 pint of bourbon at night. Normally 4-5 nights a week. My husband and I don't keep anything in the house so I have learned if I just go and get a 1/2 pint, then that's it for the night. If we keep it in the house, it would be a lot more (it used to be a lot more so I have cut down).

I am trying to get to the point where I drink only on occasional weekends. My husband and I do like to actually set aside a Saturday (once a month maybe) to have drinks at our bar at home. He does great with just that, but I have never been able to get past the cravings everyday! After work is my "witching hour". I'll go sometimes 2-3 days without (went 9 days once) and then one day the craving is just to much to handle.

I have started kudzu (nature's way) and L-glut (pill form) but haven't really noticed a difference. I actually upped my dosage today hoping that might work. I was only taking 2000mg of l-glut and I just started the Kudzu yesterday so I only took 2 pills.

Really hoping something will work, any other supplements that help?

I also think finally having a support system like this forum here will help greatly. I don't really have anyone that understands.

New here, need support

Welcome Poe!! You have come to the right place. I know that a lot of people have used the starter pack and that included different supplements that helped with the cravings.
    Just read & post and read & post. There's a good thread called 'The Newbie's Nest' and there's another one called 'OverIt's Challenge - EVERYONE INTO THE POOL'. Both of those are great places to meet people and ask questions.
    Looking forward to getting to know you. :welcome:
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

New here, need support

:welcome:
      Poe - Im glad you found us, this is a great place for getting support and for venting when things get tough. Check out the toolbox link below for some great advice.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

You say you want to moderate which I found way to difficult having tried for years and failed. Exactly like you I started to crave AL every night at my witching hour of 6pm and I found that on the days I didnt drink I was so miserable counting the days until I would allow myself a drink it became unbearable. You may come to the same conclusion and eventually decide to abstain completely. Whatever you do please keep checking in here, this site is truely a Godsend. Wishing you much strength.
      "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
      AF - JAN 1st 2010
      NF - May 1996

Comment

New here, need support

My advice is to read My Way Out and go from there!
        :welcome:
        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

New here, need support

Welcome Poe - I was looking for a way to moderate too, but was not successful. I am now struggling to remain AF but it's getting easier each day. I wish you the best in your attempt to mod or whatever path you decide is right for you.
          Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

New here, need support

Hi Poe, welcome to MY Way Out!

I highly encourage you to read the book My Way Out by Roberta Jewel. It can be downloaded on this site in the Health Store at the top of the home page. The wealth of information in this book including the research is well worth the $12.00 that you will pay for the book.

According to the book, and the research, if one is attempting to moderate, you should first do 30 Days completely alcohol free before attempting moderation.

I too wanted to moderate when I first came to this site. But, after going 28 days AF and taking the full recomended range of supplements, I drank and followed true to form for me and got drunk. After honestly considering my drinking patterns of many years and the consequences there of, I decided to begin living alcohol free for life. I am very happy that I did this!

Each one of us is different. You will figure this out for yourself. But, begin with the book and 30 days AF and see what your conclusion for you is.

Best Wishes,
            Kate
            A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

New here, need support

Hi Poe and welcome,
              MWO is a great forum. Like you I struggled to relate to a 12 step programme. Also, once I start drinking I can not stop, which is why I have come to the conclusion that moderation is just not going to work for me. If your goal is to moderate I would defiantly recommend going 30 days without drinking first. It will give your body an opportunity to regenerate, and give you some perspective overall. Keep reading and posting, glad you found us!
              While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

New here, need support

Welcome Poe!
                You have found a wonderful place for support, advice and encouragement. Nobody here will judge you, we only offer encouragement. Congratulations on taking the first step towards moderation or abstinence (whichever one you choose). Personally, I know that I cannot moderate my drinking, so I have chosen to completely abstain, however that is a personal decision. We will support you in whatever you choose. Keep reading and posting, we look forward to getting to know you!
                K9
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

New here, need support

Thank you all so much for the advice and kind words!! I am definitely going to download the book and hopefully read it this weekend.

Comment

New here, need support

Welcome Poe, you've come to a great place. I like many can not moderate either so have decided to become AF. Keep posting and all the best to you, great support here.
                    AF since April 19, 2010
                    NF since Nov 10, 2000

"One reason I don't drink is I want to know when I'm having a good time."
                    -Lady Nancy Astor

Comment

New here, need support

Hi Poe and :welcome: good luck on your journey whichever one you choose look forward to seeing you on the boards

P x
                      Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

New here, need support

Hi Poe and Welcome. Like others have said, try the 30 days without booze and see how you feel then, your mindset could change, I know mine did and I didn't want to throw away my AF days. Anyway keep posting and visiting here, its a good place
                        Molly:welcome:
                        Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                        contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

New here, need support

Welcome Poe, wishing you lot's of luck. I, like others, have not been very successful with moderation. Give me one drink and I want to drink many more. But I wish you the best and we are here to support you!

Comment

New here, need support

I'm new too and I'm with mollyka and agree that 30 days is the starting point. That's what my research here suggests. I would also like to moderate but I'll think about that after 30 days. I'm onto day three now and have no problems yet. In fact it is a bit of fun. What sort of shite will I try to drink next? So far ginger beer is winning. Tried the imitation wine and almost spewed.

Comment

New here, need support

i agree with LVT 25. I have read the book am taking the supllements recommended by her and have been fully endorsed by my doc! I've been looking to moderate rather than abstein, but that is what the doc wants me to do so I will. I'm down to 2-3 glasses of wine a night, from 1L! Got the CD's yesterday and am looking forward to them tonight Not sure about the meds tho. I won't use it unless I have to.

You'll find alot of support here!

Comment

Working...
                              X