Extreme Irritability - HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am on day 15 AF. While some days are harder than others, I'm very pleased that I haven't caved in to any cravings - BUT I am extremely irritable! I have been such a bitch to my hubby for the past several days and cannot find it in me to be nice. He said that I have so much hatred and anger in my voice when I'm talking to him, and he's right. I'm just being mean, really really mean and I can't seem to stop.

Have any of you gone thru this with your Spouse/SO? If so, what advice can you give me? Does it get better? If so, when (I know everyone is different, but a general time frame)?

I'm doing the AF thing without any supplements, hypnosis, etc. Are there supplements that would knock down the irritability?

I need to kick this shitty attitude of mine, and fast!! It's stressing me out but also tearing apart our marriage of almost 15 years. Thanks for any help you can provide; I appreciate it
    NF - 3/17/09

AF since 5/24/10

hey 4myhealth.

Went through phases like that as well...

I'd just see and wait it out. If it persists maybe see your doc and see if he'll prescribe you something for anxiety, etc.

I think it's probably fairly normal. I mean you're changing your lifestyle, habits, learning a new way of life. A sober one.

Can be tough on the spouse, but the alternative much worse for sure?
    AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Hi 4MyHealth,

How bout get a different husband? I AM SO KIDDING, just wanted to see if I could make you smile

Im sorry you are going through this, but it is probably just a phase. Could you get outside and get some exercise when you feel especially bitchy?

Im sure it will pass, just keep hanging in there.
      I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

I think it's completely normal. Just because we are sober we don't change into patient angels over night.
        I can still be as grumpy as all hell with my husband, irritated if the bus doesn't turn up on time and get very frustrated if I can't get the lid of a jar.

But like Johnny says, the alternative would be much worse.

J x
        :l
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

hi 4myhealth,What you’re trying to do right now is very difficult, so recognise that you need to off-load to people, to talk it through, to schedule in some relaxation time, some treats for yourself. If you’ve got a family to think about too then this can be hard to justify: “I’ve been such a strain on them already, how can I ask them to sacrifice even more?”, or “How can I take time away from my children when I’ve already been neglecting them because of my drinking?”

The point is, you need some time to relax if you’re trying to stop drinking, because it’s an incredibly draining task. Acknowledge that, be honest about it. You can’t be strong all the time!,give yourself a chance.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Yep 4myh, I agree with previous. I remember being very grumpy and down and vulnerable around the 3 week mark which is near enough where you are, but it did lift mostly. Still get quite irritated when he's having a drink tho!
            Hang in there, it does get easier, if it continues I would agree with Johnny and discuss it with your GP, depression and anxiety seemed to be so linked in with alcoholism, just to have that checked out?
            Molly
            Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
            contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

4myh - if you were to go back to some of my posts 2-3 weeks ago I was exactly the same. I did not have a kind word for my husband. I am now at day 29 and it is getting better. I am taking the supplements and 3 doses of evening primrose oil a day, which I believe has helped even out my temperament. Also I think you just get used to being sober. It's new, the world is the same yet different. The further you get into your sobriety, and the further you get away from alcohol the more you will find yourself able to deal with things. Give it time, like a new pair of shoes, at first they may be a bit tight, but once you break them in they are oh so comfortable!
              While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I Started taking all the supplements mentioned in my way out prior to taking the meds and getting the CDs. i also added Siberian ginseng and GABBA calm. on the whole, I'm much calmer than I used to be!

Hope that helps and well done to get so far

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your wonderful advice and reaffirming that it is "normal" to feel grouchy.

Not Tonight: I happen to have an unopened bottle of Evening Primrose Oil 500 mg here at home. Question - how much do you take - how many mg's per day? How quickly should this stuff begin to work to calm my bitchiness? Hopefully by the time my hubby gets home in 2 hours - LOL.
                  NF - 3/17/09

AF since 5/24/10

Comment

Good luck with that 4MH41!!!!
                    Molly
                    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

G'day 4. I'm just the reverse. So mellow I'm almost sliding out of my chair on day eight.
                      I almost never argue with my wife, it would hurt and upset her and I couldn't live with myself if I did that Once, a long time ago, we did have a disagreement...I was right and she was wrong but I wrote her a little letter, reassuring her that I loved her more than anything else in the World. Did the trick and explained how I felt. Maybe give that a go?

Comment

I the capsule are 1000mg and I take 2-3 over the corse of a day. I'd say it takes at least 3-4 days to realy get into your system. Also take 3 1000mg of Omega 3 fish oil capsules.
                        While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
                        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

What a difference a day makes. I haven't been bitchy for almost 24 hours I started taking the EPO and will continue to take it due to a number of health benefits I read out on the web this morning. If it helps to keep regulate my moods, then that will be another huge bonus!

I have to say that even though I was so grouchy yesterday, it was a really easy day as far as staying AF. So, just because I was feeling pissy, I never thought about popping a beer. Now that's progress for me Today is day 16 AF and so far, so good!

Thanks again for all your help and insight. And, Over It ~ your comment did make me laugh! :H
                          NF - 3/17/09

AF since 5/24/10

Comment

Happy to hear that you are feeling a bit better today. When I was starting out, I found that taking Omega 3, 6 and 9 along with exercise, even just brisk walking really helps to take the edge off as well as helping with mood swings.

Well done on 16 days! It just keeps getting better!
                            Kate
                            A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Well done on the 16 days AF. It really does get easier as you go.
                              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X