Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it get easier through time?

Thanks DG
    I realise that hubby likes to keep me "downtrodden and plied with booze" - its his thing, and a great excuse for him to control things. Well, here I am, wanting to do this for me. No, he doesn't like the idea of me talking to others - he wants to put me into a private health facility of his choice (which he may never let me out of) - so... anyone willing to take the ride with me. It could get ugly, but I'd like to see a few sober sunrises before I die.

Comment

Rebirth
      I'm on day 15 too. We can do this!!!
      I downloaded the MYO book, got the CD's they recommended, (they really help me sleep) the supplements and my doc got me the Topa. It seems to knock the cravings on the head the first day for me. really. I've always been a loner and am lucky to have support from my friends and my boss.

Hope that helps

Comment

Hi kslc2001. Hey! You are on day 15 too? Thats great!! I am watching you! lol
        Be strong-
        We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
        Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

stillbreathin;889754 wrote: Thanks DG
          I realise that hubby likes to keep me "downtrodden and plied with booze" - its his thing, and a great excuse for him to control things. Well, here I am, wanting to do this for me. No, he doesn't like the idea of me talking to others - he wants to put me into a private health facility of his choice (which he may never let me out of) - so... anyone willing to take the ride with me. It could get ugly, but I'd like to see a few sober sunrises before I die.
          I had a real chuckle thinking what his reaction might be if you said you were joining the local AA! :H (I go to AA myself and find it helpful - not for everyone...just sayin what works for me!) Seriously - you ARE in control of you so do what you feel is best for your life.

:welcome: kslc! Isn't it great to find out we are not alone?

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi rebirth.

Any physical cravings will usually subside within a matter of days of you putting down the drink. What you are more likely experiencing now is the psychological 'cravings' or mental obsession that drives you to use alcohol; for whatever reasons that may be. There has been some great feedback already and differing opinions on how best to combat that. It took a lot of trial and error on my part and many relapses before I was finally convinced I was an alcoholic. It's not easy accepting you're alcoholic. It was easy for me to admit it to other people. In fact I took great comfort in telling everybody I was an alcoholic because the only person I wasn't telling was ME!!

It can get as easy or as hard as you want it to be at the end of the day. It got a lot easier for me when I gave up fighting it and admitted defeat. Fighting to stay sober was not going to keep me sober because the pain of not being able to drink was virtually the same as the pain I was in whilst drinking. When there's very little difference between the two you know you're in trouble!

I can only speak for myself when I say this but I feel the paradox with sobriety is that at times it actually gets more difficult. My life has become much more fulfilling and purposeful I agree, but living life on life's terms can be very difficult at times the more I move forward in sobriety. I'm able to handle problems today that in the past would of sent me straight back to the bottle. I still feel like I'm growing up in sobriety though and learning to deal with my feelings in a healthier way is not easy. So use all the tools at your disposal and don't ever give up giving up. Welcome to the club!

Many Blessings
            Phil
            "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
            Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

hippie37;890191 wrote:
              It got a lot easier for me when I gave up fighting it and admitted defeat.
              Many Blessings
              Phil
              I agree - I have been down this road many times and I finally realized, this is it. I cannot drink - period. It is just not an option for me or I will end up dead. The second I realized that I have felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulder and this time around I know it's over. There is no doubt in my mind anymore. and it feels so damn liberating.
              Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
              :h

Comment

Good posts Hippy and Universal. I too have accepted the fact I can bot have even 1 drink. As soon as you do that things go alot smoother. I wish i could tell you how to do that but its different for each person. You'll know when you are ready to "accept" the fact drinkin isn't for you.
                Sober since 4/8/10 -OVER 150 DAYS AND GOING AF!!!!

Get busy livin or get busy dyin-Duane Peters
                No more bad future-Skull Skates

Comment

"Fighting to stay sober was not going to keep me sober because the pain of not being able to drink was virtually the same as the pain I was in whilst drinking. When there's very little difference between the two you know you're in trouble!" By hippie37

That just hit the nail on the head as to why I always failed in the past to give up drinking. I have been in denial for years and never wanting to admit that I am an alcoholic. I was detemined to control my drinking. Now that I have accepted that I cannot ever drink like a lady..that I use it as a drug to knock myself out literally, I do feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

I am hoping this time that I can quit for good.Thank you all for your advice. Its greatly appreciated. x
                  Be strong-
                  We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
                  Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

Working...
                  X