Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caffeine

Hiya,

I can't handle coffee at the moment after a few cups my anxiety levels go crazy...... anyone else experience this early in recovery?.... I've always drank coffee except when i'm on a mission to destroy myself when breakfast consists of whatever booze i had left over from the night before....

B
    AF since 7th June '10

Caffeine

Yes sir! You really need to avoid caffeine. Your CNS (central nervous system) is jangled enough as it is, try some herbal teas instead, right? HYDRATE!!!
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Caffeine

I avoided caffeine for the first 30 days or so. Now its my best friend. Just give your body a break from stimulants or depressents for a bit.
      Sober since 4/8/10 -OVER 150 DAYS AND GOING AF!!!!

Get busy livin or get busy dyin-Duane Peters
      No more bad future-Skull Skates

Comment

Caffeine

I'm a coffee addict, but it's noooo good for your anxiety, and anxiety is the last thing we need. De-caf was blashphemy for me until i found a good full bodied one. Less coffee, more relaxing nervous system friendly herbal tea's, as Greeneyes suggest's, i would suggest.

Great going on your af and df time Jon. Keep going!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Caffeine

I can't avoid cigarettes
          AF since 7th June '10

Comment

Caffeine

LOL. I don't think that should be a problem. Hang in there things do get easier.
            Sober since 4/8/10 -OVER 150 DAYS AND GOING AF!!!!

Get busy livin or get busy dyin-Duane Peters
            No more bad future-Skull Skates

Comment

Caffeine

Try killing one dragon at a time jon_doh. Make peace with the others until it's their turn.
              This is a simple and effective strategy used by successful generals down through the centuries.
              Try the tea for now and give the coffee a break.

Comment

Caffeine

I agree with BH, sometimes we try to take too much on and then cos it all seems unattainable we dump everything. If you have been smoking for some years another couple of months prob won't make much difference to your health - give the booze a go and get some decent AF time under your belt and then when you feel strong enough start on the smokes. Re coffee, I was never much of a coffee drinker but I do have some now, don't know why, just a sort of a crutch or something, I don't think it makes me feel good tho so I would give the tea a go
                Molly
                Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Caffeine

Hi jon_doh

I can't drink caffeine in coffee but apparently there is as much caffeine in breakfast tea, which is pretty much part of a stable diet in the UK. If I drink coffee it mangles my nerves and I become anxious.

Johnny
                  "The greatest hazard of all, losing one?s self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss - an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc. - is sure to be noticed." Soren Kierkegaard.

AF since 13 June 2010.

Comment

Caffeine

I don't seem to get the same side effect from tea...... but out of habit i drank coffee this morning and now i'm just really jittery..... Thatll teach me
                    AF since 7th June '10

Comment

Caffeine

Hi JD...I too agree with BH. You've taken two major addictions on and please give yourself pats on the back! I personally found that my nervous system could quite enjoy a couple of cups of organic coffee. As coffee beans are one of the most heavily sprayed products, I think it is often the chemicals playing havoc with the nervous system. Also, note that the decaffeination (sp) generally requires additional chemicals. You can get both organic and swiss water decaffeinated coffee. Fair Trade even better. Good for you , the workers and the environment. All the best! )

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Caffeine

Ahhhh if only i had the money for organic coffee at the moment instead of the muck i'm drinking this month!!!...... for now i'll limit myself to one cup in the morning that seems to be ok...
                        AF since 7th June '10

Comment

Caffeine

Hey JD!! You are not buying booze and whatever. You deserve the coffee, you can still limit it, right?

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Working...
                          X