Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Help

:new:

Well Ive just turned 35 today and I know its time to drive to sort out my drinking

In the last 18 years I would be lucky to have been sober 5 days!!!

I try not to drink. Last night I told my wife that I would not drink. I got home and didnt even feel like drinking. But before I knew it I made the excuse to have a beer with my dinner. Before I knew it I had had nine beers and a bottle of Baileys.

Some nights I will drink up to three bottles of wine and some beers.

I am not a nasty drunk and I just end up falling to sleep.

I am going to try a one month of no alcohol. I would appreciate any suggestions

Please Help

Angus,
    Welcome. You have made a first step by coming here. 3 bottles of wine in an evening, wow?! I can do about 12 beers and feel like s*&t. Have you looked at the book? You can download it ya know. Cruise the boards here, there are a lot of people like us and we are kind.
    Hang in there.
    By the way, it is great to have another male here.
    Love and Peace,
    Phil
    Love and Peace,
    Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Please Help

Hey Angus,

I always feel a bit stupid trying to give advice to people due to my lack of current general life experience and the relatively short length of my...problems with drink...mainly posting because others don't seem to have had a chance to yet, though I'm sure you'll get loads of support here.

I've been AF for 6 days now - drinking heaps of alcohol-free beer though- I've found the cravings/ habit are tough to cope with. However I certainly feel a lot better now than when I was drinking. I'm also aiming at a month.

Tomorrow I'm going to go into town and by some kudzu/ Ge Gen. Its some sort of Chinese root extract - you can read about it in the 'Health store' part of the site and search for it on the web. Its supposed to reduce your cravings for alcohol and from what I've read on the posts on this site so far, it works for a lot of people.

Plus theres also the topa...have a good read around some of the threads and you'll be suprised at the amount of info you can pick up. I've really found this place helpful.

Plus, as Phil said, its good to have another guy on board.

Your on the right track.
      francis

Comment

Please Help

Hey Angus,

How are you getting on?

Hope all is well,
        francis

Comment

Please Help

Hi Angus and everyone.
          I would do exactly what you did.Didn't even feel like a drink and then something would click. I'd make some sort of excuse and tell myself ,just one.1 1/2 bottles later(wine)
          I agree with Frances, the habit.The hand to mouth is hard to break.I am finding that if i have a wine glass filled with iced peppermint tea sitting in the spot where i always sat my wine helps.The other things that help me are Kudzu and Glutamine. I take them 2 hours before i get the click.This has made a big difference over the past couple of weeks.Its still hard but it sure does take the edge off it.Hope this helps.
          Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X