WANTED- MIDDLE AGED FEMALE WINE DRINKER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you in what you consider to be middle age?
    Do you drink wine?
    Do you feel that you drink too much?
    Are you worried about your health?

if the above describes you, I need to hear from YOU!! When I read about others drinking I sometimes convince myself that I don't really have a problem with overdoing it because I only drink wine, most days just share a bottle with hubby, never wake up with much more than severe thirst ... but deep down I know I have no control over it. I can only give it up for a day or two then it takes control over me. What works for you? If you are in he same boat as me you know why I want to quit or at least be able to have a glass without eyeing the bottle to make sure I get my true and fair HALF. That's certainly an indication I have a problem. I sure don't do that about coffee, cake or chicken... just wine.

Just need to connect with women like myself to help each other. It hasn't ruined my life yet and I love my life which makes it harder to admit it's a problem. Help !!!
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ? Lao-Tzu

Tipplerette, I am 48 years old and an alcoholic. Wine, like alcohol, is a progressive disease and a road of hell to go down. It doesn't sound like you have hit bottom yet, which is very admirable that you ask for help before that happens, but if you don't quit completely, you will hit bottom and it is no fun! The way I got off alccohol is to stay on this site. Every night when I wanted a drink, I went into chat or read posts and posted all my feelings, because there is so many people here who want to help you and encourage you on your journey to quit. I would like to invite you to a loving, supportive small group called "The Journey begins here so get your asses in gear". Come in and share your story and we will all help you, love you and support you every way we can! Best of luck to you. Love, Vicki
    I'm not what I should be, I'm not what I could be. I'm definetly not who I want to be,
    but I'm sure not who I used to be!

There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still.

"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME." Phil 4:13

Comment

I am in my 60s so beyond middle age but your little story resonates with me especially eyeing up the wine bottle to make sure I get enough! It is an addiction I have got but I am starting to beat it into submission!
      Keep close to this site
      Liz

Comment

Thanks, Vicki, those words are scary and I think part of me realizes that I am headed down that spiral of alcoholism and it's just beginning. Credit card is out and I am buying the supps. Got the CD's already and the book. I just noticed that I have now been a member since last JUNE and still visiting the site so OBVIOUSLY I HAVE A PROBLEM. See you on the Journey begins here if I can find it.
        Love Deb
        Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Thanks Anon, it's good to be in the company of others who understand. I'll check in tonight when he comes home and asks if I would like a glass...
          Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Tipp...
            I am 49 and an alcoholic and addictive personality. I have had issues with food, booze, cigarettes, and sometimes drugs.
            I have not hit rock bottom, but I was causing deep fractures in my marriage and that is why I am here. I love to relax with a cold beer, but I cannot stop at a reasonable amount.
            Try stopping for 30 days and see how it goes...
            I love my family more than alcohol.:h
            Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

40 yo alcoholic

Hi, there. While my story is a little different (problem drinker since day one) I can still relate. I really like my life. Wish I didn't have to fog it up with alcohol every night. It is an addiction, and progressive. Imho, you can progress to alcoholism from simply drinking too much/too often.
              Either way, though, if you're thinking about it you might want to do something about it. Like start looking at your consumption with clear eyes, and investigating that whys of what you're drinking and the hows of it's effect on you. Both before the first drink and after the last one of the evening.
              Good luck. I've found this site invaluable. (Oh! and BTW, my listing says that I joined in 2008. I can assure you I didn't...don't know why or what that means, but I did stop and think, "Well did I?" But I didn't for sure... Anyway. Best to you!)

Comment

I would love to be here for you. I am much more of a wine drinker than you. I can drink 1 1/2 to 2 bottles in a night and still function well in the am. I am 42 and a mom of 3 boys. I am worried to about my health. I just started today so I don't have much to offer you in advice. Just wanted you to know that you are not alone and look forward to sharing.

Comment

Glad to hear from all of you. Don't think for one minute that because I joined in June 2009 I am ahead of the game. DAY ONE... as usual. I did order the supps. I had bought them in a health food store but from what I have heard the ones purchased here are far superior. Does your resolve fade as the day goes on? I was awake since two this morning and was damn well quitting come hell or high water. But ODAT as they say. Why is it that we want to end up in a place where we can sip a nice glass of wine (or beer) and not crave any more? What is it about alcohol that wants moderation rather than abstinence. My friend (in dieting) had me over the other night and I was proudly drinking my water. She pushed and pushed me to put vodka in it and guess what I had a shot. There went that planned day one. Socially it's almost not acceptable to NOT drink. Anyone else relate to this?
                  Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

bkyogagurl;892955 wrote: I would love to be here for you. I am much more of a wine drinker than you. I can drink 1 1/2 to 2 bottles in a night and still function well in the am. I am 42 and a mom of 3 boys. I am worried to about my health. I just started today so I don't have much to offer you in advice. Just wanted you to know that you are not alone and look forward to sharing.
                    When I said we drink a bottle between us, that's stretching the truth... we often open the second. I know I am not a two bottle gal ... yet... but I see it coming. I weigh only 130 so I imagine my physical reaction could be magnified compared to hubby.
                    Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

I'm your gal!

EVERYTHING you said Tipp is me. I started years and years ago.....believe it or not with my second son. My obstetrician actually advised I drink a glass of wine before going to bed in my 8th month of pregnancy. Can you believe that? I was having a terrible time sleeping and she said "it won't hurt the baby". How things have changed!

Anyway.......25 years later I am still drinking that glass of wine each and every evening except now it's about 4 to 5 glasses. I don't know how many bottles that is because we buy boxes! My hubby drinks with me and doesn't see a problem.

I am just like you~ I panic if I think there is not going to be enough to last me through the night. And yes.......it is definitely a social thing with friends. All our friends drink, and if we are together there is absolutely no way to say "NO".

Our children drink too- not a problem yet, but if they are coming over for dinner, we feel as though we have to have beer and wine in the house.......

My problem now and has been for the past few years is I also take prescription pain killers. I have had two back surgeries and am in constant pain. So basically- I'm drugged 24 hrs a day!

I am going to try desperately to have an AF night tonight. I have to for my health, I know that now because I honestly can't see living this way for much longer. I am 52 and can't see myself reaching 60!!

I have a beautiful 2 year old grandson, and want to be able to take him to Disneyland next summer.....:h

Comment

Wow, we are alike. I am 53 and expecting my first grandchild in August. It's a GIRL !! My middle son who is 28 and such a good kid is now fighting alcoholism. His Dad is an alcoholic and when the kids vist the cottage where my current hubby and I live we always have booze and the last time they were over he drank so many beer that I thought he would die. What a terrible example I am for him. Hubby drinks as much as me but doesn't seem as desperate and sometimes forgets to suggest it (imagine that!!!) at dinner time.

My mother is an eighty year old drinker and weak as a kitten. We don't want that.
                        Let's take tonight by storm and say no to wine. We make our own and it's limitless.. $4.00 a bottle and it's delicious.

Like you, I want to be there for my grandkids and keep them safe when they visit. Imagine if one of them drowned in the river whie we were having a drink...

We can do it!!!
                        Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Hi Tipplerette,

I am 43, and before I quit drinking in May, I would put away at least one bottle per day, and open the second if there was one. This level of drinking was defiantly progressive. It went from having a glass or two a couple of nights a week, to half a bottle 3-4 times a week, to drinking most nights, to where I was over the last year. If I opened a bottle I knew I would be finishing it by myself within a period of three hours. I may be able to go 1 or 2 nights without drinking. But this abstinence was generally preceded by a massive hangover, which could motivate me to stay sober for the first day.

That much wine takes such a toll on the body, on the brain, on your ability to function and deal with others. Now I would console myself with the fact that I did not drink during the day, but that's no assurance that there is not a problem, and quite frankly I believe only a matter of time before I started drinking during the day. Since finding this forum I have found the strength and motivation to stay sober, even through some very difficult times. Life is much better sober, I don't ever want to go back. Alcoholism is a progressive disease, it will continue to get worse, (there is no stabilising for those of us who can not drink in moderation).

The supplements have made an enormous difference in curbing the cravings and evening out my temper. Reading and posting every day provides motivation and reminders. I have tried several time to quit, and have never had the kind of success I am having now since joining MWO. This place is a life saver! So glad you are here and I look forward to getting to know you better!
                          While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
                          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Congratulations!

A baby girl! Wow!
                            We have absolutely no girls in our family....I have 2 sons, 3 nephews......if God would give me a grandaughter I don't know what I would do with myself!

You brought up some points that I forgot to mention. My mom was an alcoholic. I would get off the school bus and find her passed out in the back yard. I don't know how I could have endured such a childhood and be doing the things I am doing now. I have to say that when my boys were young I never was "drunk". Those were my days of "light" drinking.

My oldest son is 29 and has a great potential of becoming an alcoholic. He has had a DUI, lost his driver's license for a year and spent one night in jail. This was about 5 years ago and he NEVER drinks and drives now. However ~ I have been told by his younger brother that he has passed out at parties and vomited after drinking with buddies.......so I know he has a problem. My youngest son who is 25 drinks but never out of control like his brother.

I am ashamed to say I have again chosen to drink wine tonight. It is 7:30 and I'm on my third glass. I wish I could bottle the attitude and ambition I have at 10 in the morning and save it for evening. What is it? Why does it happen? Why do we do this??

Maybe reading this tomorrow will help........God I hope so.

Comment

I so do wish

that I could too!
                              Growth means change and change involves risk, stepping from the know to the unknown."
                              Author Unknown :h

AF - Sept 4, 2012
                              10 days - Sept 13, 2012
                              2 weeks - Sept 17, 2012
                              Slip on the weekend but tried too moderate!
                              AF - Sept 24, 2012 (get back on the headaches not worth it)
                              Slippery slope Oct 1 ..... Trying to not give up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X