I have become my mother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have become my mother

Laying in bed this morning thinking about how I drank again last night.....it occurred to me that my mother was just about my age when I was a teenager.
    I was born when she was 37, and basically an only child. I had a half sister 12 years older than me, who died before she was 30 of a drug over-dose.
    When I was very young I was mortified at her drunkeness.
    When I was about 23, I worked for a dentist and my mom came as a patient.
    The dentist asked me after she left if she had "a drinking problem"
    I was horrified and wondered how in the world he knew? He said he could tell by "the state of her oral mucosa"
    So here I am in the exact same shape as her.......and I remember just being repulsed at her actions.
    It must be true that alcoholism is hereditary.
    I'm sorry for this ramble.......just needed to share.

I have become my mother

Your not rambling Fran, thats what were here for and what this website was designed to do. To let you get your feelings out.

Well, you might be behaving like your mother, but you are not your mother. You can choose to quit if you really want to. Maybe this can be a turning point for you. Im trying to quit too. Its hard, I know, but if its something that you really want then go for it. Everyone here will support you.
    I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

I have become my mother

Well you can chose not to be like your mother and quit, I don't believe it's hereditary
      my grandfather was a drunk it skipped my mother and I am one.... an old wise man
      in AA explained it to me as.... "monkey see monkey do" meaning if you weren't
      exposed to someone else's drinking you might not have become a drunk yourself.

Comment

I have become my mother

What a legacy most of us carry with us. As children my sister and I swore we would never become an alcoholic like our mother. Ten years ago my sister died of cirrhosis in her early 40's. I've have finally managed to put some sober time together now in my late 50's. Don't really know why quitting just seems to be working this time.

Comment

I have become my mother

Well......as a matter of fact my mom did quit. Just one day after my son was born she decided to quit. So maybe I can too.
          She died of cigarette smoking at age 71.
          Thank GOD I don't smoke!!
          I believe a big part of my problem is because my husband continues to drink every night.

Comment

I have become my mother

We both drink too but he can stop easier than me and he sips whereas I gulp. Talk fast, eat fast, read fast, DRINK fast. I am a friggin' Energizer bunny with Alki batteries. Not funny I know but... Franzi, my mom drinks like a fish and smokes like a chimeney and she's 80 and still trippin' around visiting us all over Canada and the USA. Go figure !!
            Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
            ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

I have become my mother

Previous evidence indicates that genes play a major role in liability to addictions, including alcoholism," "Yet genes are certainly not sufficient to produce disease by themselves. The individual must be exposed to alcohol, which, in common with any chemical encountered in the world, is explicitly environmental. When you consider that addictions also involve that incredibly complex and unpredictable thing that is human behavior, then the real complexity of the problem is clear

Yet even with genetics having a massive influence in the cause of alcoholism and addiction ? it only tells part of the tale. Environmental and Social factors play huge roles as well. So when people start talking about cures for alcoholism and drug addiction, it?s virtually impossible to achieve because there are so many other complex uncontrollable factors at play.

So unless you?re particularly interested in the scientific side of things or are doing particular research on the subject, I think the alcoholism and genetic link shouldn?t let you get sidetracked from the root of the problem and what to do about it.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

I have become my mother

Memories

Thanks Mario~ that was well put.
                Actually what I am focusing on the most is how I hated my mom when she was drunk.
                I can recount so many episodes that simply disgusted me. I loved her dearly and begged her to stop so many times. I used to put notes in her purse. I would "make deals" with her. I never invited friends over because I didn't want them to see her. When I was dating my husband he carried her to bed, I thought for sure he would never call me again after that.
                I could go on and on with stories........so I need to keep reminding myself that this is exactly what I am turning into........

Comment

Working...
                X