New Here...Where To Start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having been a heavy drinker for quite a few years, I can't imagine being sober all the time. I would like to try moderation to see if I can do it. I have found this site, but am not sure where to start. I know I do not want A.A. My wife is very concerned about my drinking and wants me to "Take it easy". I think finding this site is a good first step (no pun intended)!
    If you don't take care of your body....Where will you live

hi and welcome. this is a great place for advice and support. its usually recomended to try 30 days AF (alcohol free) before moderating. keep reading and posting and let us know how youre getting on
    Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
    Keep passing the open windows

Comment

welcome mariner49
      I tried moderation but just ended up drinking the missing units on the weekend. I have to quit for good. But I am okay with that. Stay posted as its a very supportive forum.
      Be strong-
      We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
      Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

Hello and welcome,
        If you have been a heavy drinker for a few years, it may be too difficult to moderate at first.. I would suggest, like Spuddle, to try to abstain for a certain amount of time.. setting a time limit might seem too much, so you can just try ODAT (one day at a time) - we have daily threads for those of us who are trying to abstain for as long as possible.. and if you add up the AF (alcohol free) days, and see the improvement to your life, being AF will seem a much better choice than drinking at all..
        AL is a depressant.. and has many detrimental health effects.. being AF makes you feel so much mentally stronger, and physically healthy..
        You have found a great place to get some support.. read and post often!
        Katie xx
        "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

Thanks to all who replied! I needed help to quit smoking (10 years tobacco free) and I'm sure I'm going to need help to quit drinkng. I know I can't just "Flip a switch" to slow-down or quit! I will try ODAT!
          If you don't take care of your body....Where will you live

Comment

Hi Mariner and welcome. One-day-at-a-time is the only way to realistically deal with any stage of sobriety. I tried to moderate so many times, I can barely count. Everytime resulted in more and more drinking. As suggested get some AF time under you and then evaluate what direction you want to proceed in. I wish you the best of luck. Stick with us here and keep posting on your progress!
            Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Welcome Mariner!
              You've found a great place for support, advice and encouragement. Trying to quit completely can seem overwhelming at first. I know, I felt the same way. But I also realized that I cannot moderate. One, two or three beers would never have been enough for me...never. I agree with what others here have said, maybe you should try a set amount of time where you go completely alcohol free. Whatever you decide, we will be here to support you along the way. Keep reading and posting. I look forward to getting to know you!
              K9
              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Hi Mariner, and welcome. Whether you need to slow down, or stop, there are many people here who can give you some great advice. Moderation does not work for me, but everyone is different. The only thing I always hope is that I can help people not have to reach rock bottom before they gain control of alcohol in their lives. All the best to you,
                Hill
                Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

hi & welcome mariner, This indeed is a great place with lots of advice, support and information from people who can relate to what your going through, you are not alone.hope to see you around.:-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                  I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

It always bring a smile to my face when I see newcomers mention the 'dreaded' Alcoholics Anonymous (AA). I too saw AA as a last resort and was convinced I could do it alone. Don't immediately discredit ANY options open to you at present. There are a lot of people who still follow some of the principles of AA here who aren't actively engaged in fellowship. Use all the tools available to you right now. You never know your life may depend on AA at some point in the future. You have to be willing to go to any lengths if you really want to change your life.

Keep an open mind and keep posting.

Many Blessings
                    Phil
                    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Mariner49;898238 wrote: Having been a heavy drinker for quite a few years, I can't imagine being sober all the time. I would like to try moderation to see if I can do it. I have found this site, but am not sure where to start. I know I do not want A.A. My wife is very concerned about my drinking and wants me to "Take it easy". I think finding this site is a good first step (no pun intended)!
                      I can't stand AA, either. I wish there was an option without all the "god" talk, structure and annoying slogans, lol!

Moderation is far more difficult than abstaining, unfortunately. As the others have suggested, take thirty days AF and see how that goes before attempting moderation. I hope to see you around!

Comment

Hi Mariner - Welcome to MWO. Like you, I was not keen on AA, however this site has been transformational for me. I have tried moderation in the past, and it always lead to right back to an abusive relationship with alcohol. Getting some AF time under your belt will give you a much better perspective on things. There is so much encouragement and support here, read, post ask and share. Also I have found the supplements to be a big help in reducing cravings and evening out my emotions, so I would highly recommend them.

Very glad you have joined, and I look forward to getting to know you better!
                        While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
                        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                        X