day 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

day 2

Having soo much trouble getting past day 2.seem to get to 5pm & lose the plot....got annual get together with the girls in 6 days wine etc.cant get out of it as Im the hostess & panic is kicking in already really dont want to make a fool of myself but know I will be under much pressure to take that fatal 1st drink .....I know that only I can do this & I really want to but any tactical advice ....should I pretend that Im drinking ????

day 2

HIya Tara, wooo, girls night in 6 days - have to say even after quite a while sober a girls night hosted by myself would scare me a bit. Is there no way you can get out of it? Dose of the flu perhaps? Tactically, yeah, do anything it takes to not drink, worry about pretending to drink is that anyone during the night could hand you anything thinking you are drinking? I don't know Tara, I would get out of it at all costs, but that's just me! If you do go ahead with it, the important thing is to be 100% (not 99%) committed to not drinking - only total commitment will work, read the tool box so it's fresh in your mind and look to the positives of not drinking on the night i.e. no hangover next morning, not talking shite to your mates, that sort of thing.
    Before all that, get thro Day 2 anyway you can, Day 3 just feels soooo good, it really does
    Good luck and stay on here, posting and reading - prob my best aid of all!!
    Molly
    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

day 2

Hi Tara. I absolutely understand the "Day 2" challenge. Once the hangover is gone, the addiction kicks in and we want a fix. That is normal and it's difficult to push through it, but it can be done. Lots of people here are doing it one day at a time and you can too.

Getting sober was really a life and death thing for me. I was suicidally depressed and unable to even go one day without drinking. It is a miracle that I am sober today, and I treasure my life which is full and meaningful now instead of a dark and depressing, lonely place. I am not willing to risk that for anything. Sobriety HAS to be my #1 priority or I won't be able to stay sober. And if I'm not sober, I give up all that I love in my life today.

So...if it were me, I would find a way to not host the girlfriend party. The REAL friends will still be there down the road. The not so real friends won't. That is OK. I have had to make some big changes in my friends and activities in order to make the change from my old drinking life to my new sober life. Sometimes these changes have been painful, but they have all been worth it.

I'm not big on lying and pretending. I did enough of that when drinking. I don't want that garbage in my life any more - just drags me down.

2 cents for your consideration. Strength and hope to you.

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

day 2

Hi Tara,
        Great job on day 2. Getting together with old friends can be such a difficult situation. The familiarity makes saying no to that first drink so much more difficult. I had a girls night out with old friends in my first AF week, and I called in sick. I just didn't trust myself enough, and I did not want to lose my momentum to get sober. If you feel that you really can not cancel, then maybe you could say that you are on antihistamines for allergies or something similar, and that is why you aren't drinking. If you do decide to go, make sure you have a plan, and if the pressure gets to be too much, make your excuses and leave. If you end up drinking you will wake up in the morning with a hangover and regret. If you get through it sober you will wake up stronger. Bottom line sobriety is the priority.

You can do this thing!
        While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

day 2

Hi tara, way to go on getting to day 2! You know you will be under pressure to drink? I wouldn't go. Period. Even if I told them in advance not to give me any shit about not drinking, I still couldn't do it. It amazes me how we think the world will stop turning if we don't go along with what we think others expect of us. I wish I'd figured out sooner it doesn't. Or maybe I just needed excuses.
          sigpic
          Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

day 2

Gongrats on day 2 Tara. The annual gathering sure sounds like it will be hard. At this stage perhaps you need to cancel it? Or postpone it until you get a few weeks under your belt?
            Eventually you are going to have to be able overcome these situations but right now may or be the right time to do it. Only you know if you will have the confidence to deal with it in a weeks time.
            Diggin' being alive

Comment

Working...
            X