Something that helps me through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just checking in with everyone here and sending along warm wishes and sober thoughts to everyone. I know one of the things that initially bothered me was thinking, "How can I never have a drink ever again?" Well someone finally said to me, "You don't have to think about not drinking for the rest of your life, you only have to think about not drinking today." Of course this is the essence of one day at a time (or hour, or minute as the case may be) but it was put another way and I felt relieved that I didn't have to take it all in at once...just a piece at a time. I stopped worrying about the rest of my life and focused on the now. Anyway, it helped me and I'm rounding out week 6 and wishing everyone the best!

Congrats on week 6! That is phenomenal. The one day at a time philosophy is also what they use in AA. Don't think forever, that can be incredibly scary for us alcoholics. One day at a time is the best way to go. Looks like it's working for you. Congrats!!!

Love and hugs,
    Uni
    Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
    :h

Comment

Hi seila and uni.
      I used the same approach and it does work. just got to have a back up plan when the cravings hit you. I would devour chocolate!
      Be strong-
      We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
      Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

Well done Seila,

ODAT makes it so much less scary, it certainly helps me to think about it that way. Well done on 6 weeks, Thats a great achievement!

x
        AF since 19th August 2011

Comment

AWESOME!!!!
          Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Seila1 - Congratulations on 6 weeks! Thanks for sharing that too - you never know when someone else might need to hear that said the same way - glad it clicked with you! Much love! :h
            ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Working...
            X