Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming clean with my psychiatrist

Meggie,

I wish i could drink like normal people.
    All of us wish that. I sure can't. It took me many years to figure it out.

I am glad your meeting went well. That is great news.

On the subject of wishing, though, my brother wishes he didn't have to wear an insulin pump, jab his finger 3 times a day and have to watch what he eats like a hawk. He can't. If he didn't take the insulin and ate whatever he wanted, he would die.

I liken our situation to his. It is what it is.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cinders;923399 wrote:

On the subject of wishing, though, my brother wishes he didn't have to wear an insulin pump, jab his finger 3 times a day and have to watch what he eats like a hawk. He can't. If he didn't take the insulin and ate whatever he wanted, he would die.

I liken our situation to his. It is what it is.

Cindi
      Great point, Cinders!
      ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Nothing to add, except Popeye, Cinder, you are my Yodas. I wish I didn't have a chronic pain problem with my illness, but , as said, it is what it is.
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Everything that was said is so true. Need to concentrate on being Af. Thanks guys.

Comment

Jewel,

When I was seeing a psychiatrist, I too hid my alcohol problem. I went to him for 3 years for anxiety and depression and was prescribed antidepressant and anti-anxiety drugs. I finally fessed up about my drinking problem and he didn't even blink an eye. He was very supportive. Do not worry about your medical records, patient confidentiality protects you.

FYI, I have been AF for over 2 years. I have not seen the psychiatrist at all during that time. I no longer take meds for anxiety and depression...it was all caused by the alcohol.

Also, I'm sure you know this but feel compelled to add that the mix of anti-anxiety meds like klonopin and ativan with alcohol is not good at all. It exacerbates the effects of alcohol and from my own personal experience with ativan, I think it made my drinking worse. There's also the risk of accidently overdosing from this mixture.

M3
            AF Since April 20, 2008
            4 Years!!!
            :lilheart:

Comment

Jewels83;922363 wrote: I have an appointment with my psychiatrist early next month. I have never told her about my drinking. I'm being treated with meds for depression and anxiety. Little does she know that my symptoms are probably mostly related to the AL. I'm thinking I need to come clean with her about my drinking so I can get the right help. The only help the meds do (Ativan and now Klonopin) is control the shakiness in the morning and withdrawals. The antidepressants don't do crap because of the AL. Anyways, I'm scared to tell her because than she'll know I lied and won't trust anything I say anymore. I don't know what to do. I need help but am scared to ask for it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know I can't go on this way. It will eventually kill me. I've recently realized that I can't do this on my own. I need help.
              Your post was like I was reading about myself. It took me 4 years to come clean to my psychiatrist. Did he judge me? Nope. Did he still trust me? Even more because he knew how hard it was for me to come clean about my drinking. I was suffering (and still do) from depression and anxiety. It was only by getting sober did we realize that I was actually bipolar. Now I'm on the right meds and nothing in this world could make me drink and screw up the last couple of years of struggling to get my meds correct.

My advice is to come clean. She can help you get well again. There's only one caveat: you must do exactly what she tells you to do. You can get well. I have.

I hope you make the decision to come clean.

Best wishes,

SK
              AF since 1/2009

Comment

Working...
              X