My personal experiment...proves a certain hypothesis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Patrice and sorry about the way that your 'experiment' ended (well not really - it did prove a point!). I too, probably like lots of others, have thought, after some time being AF "Well, I maybe could just have the one" - and then posts like yours bring it back to us just how devious AL is!! Sheri posted a list a while ago that i printed out - all the different answers to why we should have that ONE drink - that list and your post show me equally why I just cannot do that. The others that replied to your post - how many of them, after that one, just went right back to square 1 - it just reinforces for me that i cannot have 'just' one!

Thank you for sharing this and thank you all for telling your story too - it really helps when one thinks they can have that one first drink.

Hugs, Sunshinedaisies
    How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

I did that after much consideration and planning. My inability to drink was the same as it was a year before. There is some relief in knowing that. So now I'm moving on towards my second AF year, not to be confused with two years AF. It's good to see you move forward.
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Great respect for your strength and determination Patrice
        AF since Sunday 27th June 2010
        One Day At A Time

Trying to be the best mother, daughter and friend that I can be.

Comment

Patrice, so happy you didn't let this pull you in farther. Great to chat with you this morning (evening for you) and hope your tomorrow is much better!
          AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Hi Patrice,

Your post gave me such hope, just hearing from someone else who had the same sort of experience, keep up the good work, and thank you for sharing...we will hit 30 days together!!
            BTW your part of the world sure is humid...took a few days to adjust to the heat
            30 day Challenge...started 16.08.2010

Comment

Patrice, unfortunately this is a lesson that so many of us have to learn the hard way. (I say "unfortunately" due to potential adverse consequences) I know I did. I'm happy for you that you 1) got right back on the wagon (it took me 8 months) and 2) didn't seemingly have dire consequences (although things like not reading to your son could become serious if that lasted a long time!)

Welcome back.

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I'm new - Patrice, your story could be mine. Sounds like this will be helpful to me. Thanks.

Comment

patrice, i did a similar 'experiment' after nearly 3 months sober. stupid stupid stupid. please be careful and on your guard. i found that 'slip' opened up the gate to drinking again. it was another month before i drank again. then only a week till the next time. im now 3 weeks AF but i feel i have to be even more on guard than i was originally. take care
                  Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                  Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Hi Patrice!!!

Just wanted you to know that I as well have failed the "experiements". I even thought that it would be a good thing to have a bottle of vodka in my home, because that way the obsession of buying it would be taken away and therefore I would drink less. HUH???? That experiement lasted a day or so. I thought how nice if I have "One" vodka drink. Ended up being in a blackout that day .

I like to write little notes to myself to remind myself of how powerful the demon is for me. I have this in my phone as a reminder.

"My drinking always starts as being a good intention. It almost ALWAYS ends up as a BAD idea"

Your not alone, many of us play these little games in hopes that things will change. Truly the best idea is to just not even pick up drink 1.

I think its good you did this experiment. Now you know right??
                    I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

I've tried moderation, Didn't Work!

I Like Alcohol too much!
                      I'ts kinda like smoking occassionally,sooner or later you'd start buying packs again(I've done that too). All I know is that if you find yourself addicted to a specific substance-
                      just keep away from it( you will be much happier)!

REMEMBER - THIS IS JUST MY OPINION

Comment

Patrice, I have to agree with Spuds. I found after trying drinking after a while sober, that it seemed to stop the impetus - I had to fight much harder for quite a while after drinking to stay sober, I'm ok now but it took me a couple of months to get completely back on track.
                        Molly
                        Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                        contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Hi patrice and to all the newbies that are here

For years i thought i could control my drinking,even convinced myself & anybody else who was bothered to listen that i had it under control,i could stop for about 7/8 weeks and got medals from friends & family for doing so,i was the main man in control..not, I was just fooling myself & others that agreed were fooling themselves for there own reasons,I positively and absolutely no that i cant even have a small glass of wine,I no where that will lead me to and i don't ever want to be there again,Jump back on board patrice and beat this monster.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hi Patrice,
                            I was thankful to read your post this morning. I have been AF for over 4 months, and a couple of days ago I thought it would be ok to have a few beers. I didn't end up drinking, but it sure seemed like a good idea at the time. I know that I wouldn't have stopped at one or two (or ten), and I'd be right back where I started.

I'm glad you were able to learn your lesson and jump back on the wagon quickly. Good job!

K9
                            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Working...
                            X