Time shift / Enjoy the moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone noticed that when living without alcohol, how we experience time differently? I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that we can enjoy the moment. Now that I am sober, I am not ALWAYS lining up when I can start drinking beer - so I enjoy the moment that I am in - I am not rushing through what I am experiencing to get to a beer fridge. Whether it's fishing with my kids, or talking with someone after work, whatever - I am not trying to speed through it to get to what I want. Perhaps it's a variation on enjoying the journey of life, smelling the roses as we go etc.

The other time shift I have experienced is how the days are different. The days of the week used to have such a distinctive feel. Mondays, regret and hangover etc, Thursdays was the start of the real drinking etc. Now the days feel different, and the weekend lasts so much longer. The days are so much more productive, and similar in feel. Has anyone else noticed this?

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this too.
    Hill
    Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Hill - thanks for posting this. It reminded me of what sobriety (REAL sobriety, as in AF!!) can be... I've been sucked back into the vortex of drinking for the last 4 months, justifying it because I'm "ONLY" drinking 2 drinks (big ones!) during week and overdoing "JUST" one day on weekend. (HUH???)

I have gone AF for month(s) before - not too long ago... but how is it that I forget the good things about being sober?

I really needed to hear this. I need to understand how to really enjoy my life, before it's too late. (And I'm not getting any younger!!)
    Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

YEAH - what you guys all said!

Comment

yep and its just going with the flow of life as you see and feel .. isnt it great
        :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
        best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Sheri - it sounds like you and I are on the same journey of discovery, lets keep on trucking!
          Savon19 - I am glad this is starting a dialogue that you needed to have - life is indeed very enjoyable af
          BallsTlrgs - it is great to just go with the flow and enjoy not being tied to the beer fridge, beer supply, cash supply to buy the booze - and to truly be in the moment.
          Hill
          Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Working...
          X