X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, this is strange...

:new:

Greetings all,

I just created an account here today. This will be my obligatory long rambly introduction post/story. Without further adieu?

So. I?m a male in my mid 30?s. I started drinking in high school, but it didn?t become a daily habit until after I graduated college. During HS and college, I was an honors student and generally ?together? person. Drinking back then was always social/party based, and didn?t really seem to interfere negatively with my life (although in retrospect there was a lot of binging going on, and it set me up for where I am now, etc. just that at the time it wasn?t a ?problem? for me).

A few years after college and into working life is when my drinking became a daily habit and a real ?problem?, although I was in denial at the time. That point was about 10 years ago. In that time, I have maybe a few months total of AL-free days. Units on drinking days varied up and down and trended higher or lower over time, sometimes trending very close to moderate/almost-within-healthy-limits, and other times going to 10-15 units a night for days or weeks (or, *gulp*, months).

I have always considered myself a ?highly functional alcoholic? (actually, I question the label ?alcoholic?, but it gets the point across). I drink only in the evenings/at night?it?s actually weird but I generally have no desire, almost an anti-desire, to drink during the day. I have demanding engineering job that I maintain a high level of performance at. I have never been drunk (or had any AL) at work, as I couldn't perform if I did. None of my coworkers or professional acquaintances have any idea how much I drink?many think I don?t drink at all because the never see me drinking. Friends and family know I drink, but nobody suspects a problem that I can tell. Most of them drink socially as well, and wine with dinner is the norm. If I want more to drink than I feel is socially acceptable, I?ll figure out some way of sneaking. The only time I'm "wasted" to the point where people would notice is when I'm drinking at home by myself. For the first few years of steady drinking, I didn't really even have any physical symptoms, apart from occasional hangovers.

Being able to "handle" and disguise the problem well bolstered my denial for a while. But cracks in the denial wall started developing when I started really noticing what lengths I would go to to make sure I could have my AL when I wanted it. Things like detailed planning for how I would have access to enough during family visits, or on trips. Things like noticing I had pretty much given up many activities/hobbies I used to really enjoy because I couldn't do them well drunk. Or noticing I was slowly deteriorating physically, becoming increasingly lazy and short-term-gratification-focused.

These things all built up slowly, but surely. About 5 or 6 years ago I realized I truly had a problem, but at that point I was basically willing to live with tradeoffs and figured I'd do something about it "next year, maybe". I bought a couple self-help books, did some research. Nothing changed. I was now very conscious of my problem, but simply chose to continue drinking regardless.

A couple years ago I "got serious" again about cutting down, and actually found this site and a bunch of others. I browsed and read, thinking about participating (while sipping a glass of whatever the favorite drink was that week) and then never quite getting around to it.

Fast forward to now. Today is my 3rd consecutive AL-free day, I think since probably I was in my late 20's, but for sure in the last 3-4 years. For some reason I'm actually posting here after all these years of thinking about it.

I don't actually know what allowed me to not drink on monday (Aug 2 2010). I had finished what I had in my house on sunday (as ususal) and monday after work is the traditional resupply run at the market, which always just happens on auto-pilot. For some reason, when I got in my car after work on monday I just drove home. It felt so odd. Cravings that night weren't too bad, but I slept like shit. Overall, it wasn't too difficult and it was my first AL-free day since I don't remember exactly when. On tuesday, I figured "f-ck it, might as well try for 2 days". Yesterday felt and went like monday. Today I'm thinking, "holy sh-t!! If I don't drink tonight that will be 3 days in a row!". I'm not going crazy (yet), but I feel weird, almost like in a dream, but lucid. I'm not sure what's going to happen next.

I picked the username "HoldingPattern" because I feel like my life has been in one for the last several years-- life is carrying on in the same routine, but going in circles wasting time. I'm not sure where I want to go next, but I'm sure I want out of the holding pattern. I don't want to die in the holding pattern.

Well, this is strange...

Hi HP. Welcome and thank you for sharing. Congratulations on day 3 and wishing you many more to come. You are young and what a great time to recognize the beast has been holding you back! I am realizing that I have put my goals on hold for several years now for various reasons but definitely alcohol has run interference. All the best on your journey!

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Well, this is strange...

Hi Holding Patter :welcome: You are doing great already! I know what you mean about a holding pattern - leading up to stopping, I found myself thinking about how much drinking I'd done over the past decade (I'm 30) and I realised that I didn't want that to be my story - you know, when people look back over a person's life, what the dominant theme was - I don't want the first thing people say to be "oh, she was a big drinker..." - I don't want drink to be the story of my life. I remember reading Johnny Cash's autobiography a few years back, and being fascinated by the turnaround in his life. For him it was religious, but whatever the trigger to stop is, embrace it!!
      AF since 13th July 2010
      NF since 5th July 2010

Comment

Well, this is strange...

Holding - Fabulous first post.

Man, do I relate to that "auto-pilot" thing. That's what I'm going to TRY to snap myself out of tomorrow. (Had about half pint left in house & I'm not one to pour down drain... for whatever reason.)

I've been reading more on here lately, trying to wrap my mind around this AF thing - again. Although I've done a few months here & there.. I seem to easily get back in the pattern. TOO easily.

I think you've inspired me, Holding! And that's one of the cool things about this website: you never know when what you write will encourage someone else.

Sooo, thank you and WELCOME!!
        Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Well, this is strange...

Hi HP. I can relate to a lot of what you posted. Drinking to pass-out status only at night and when alone, planning around its availability but only half-acknowledging that to myself, sneaking alcohol (usually via 'topping off' my glass with a look of studied disinterest on my face), high functioning in some social arenas, dropping out of others because I'd rather get home for that drink(s). Even the sense of unreality you're feeling.

I took the following test a few weeks ago and answered it as honestly as possible. It shook away what was left of the denial I had about how much I drank and how central it had become in my life. Welcome, and check in if you need to.
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...est-43794.html

Pride
          AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
          "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

Well, this is strange...

Hi Holding & :welcome:

You're going to find a fabulous group of people here, all on their journey for sobriety. Some are like me, sober for a long period of time, some that are in the first few months of their sobriety, some in their first couple of days and others that are struggling to get to that first day. No matter where each is at in their quest for sobriety, the important thing is that they are on the quest.

I bumped up my post from yesterday. That will tell you my quit story. If you search my screen name, you will see lots of posts while I struggled to get sober.

Advice is always available 24/7, so don't be afraid to post.

The reason why my screen name is skinned knees is because every time I would get drunk, I would fall and skin my knees. It's a constant reminder of where I refuse to ever go again.

Best wishes,

SK
            AF since 1/2009

Comment

Well, this is strange...

Welcome holdingPattern good to have you here. Well like other have said this is truly a great place to be. I was getting deeper into my alcohol abuse prior to joining here. This program saved me. I only hope I hold those gains. There are lots of resources to investigate in the threads. It's best to put a game plan together for yourself and stick to it. I look forward to getting to know you better. Best of luck here I wish you well!
              Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Well, this is strange...

Hi Holding!

YES, I read your post. I would love to know you better and so would many others on here who share in the same battles. Lets help each other along shall we??
                I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Well, this is strange...

Hi HP and welcome! Some of us are just beginning AF again and others are AF for years but we are all here to help where we can and do this together so join in as much as you like and get to know us.
                  Well done so far, Pink xx
                  HOUR BY HOUR, DAY BY DAY

Comment

Well, this is strange...

Welcome Holding,
                    I relate totally to a lot of your story so far,
                    I love the pic of the aircraft in holding pattern, in the last couple of months I have taken off several times, climbed to altitude, only to find myself descending onto a downwind leg, onto final approach and then land back where I started!..however am in the climb now!! one day at a time,
                    Look forward to hearing more of your journey
                    30 day Challenge...started 16.08.2010

Comment

Well, this is strange...

Hi HP:

Thanks for sharing. As I read your story, I thought, "Wow! This is my story". Never drank during the day, always drank in the evening (by myself), and for the most part, considered myself functional. For the past 4 years, I think I was really in a holding pattern myself. Knowing what I had to do but just circled around getting nowhere.

That has changed now. The difference is I finally made a commitment to myself 22 days ago and I have been AF since then.

Welcome to our community and best wishes!
                      John
                      AF since 7/13/2010

Comment

Well, this is strange...

Hi Holding pattern and :welcome:. Good you have decided to do something about the problem drinking.

Funny you should mention the phrase "functional alcoholic." I used to think I wasn't a REAL alcoholic because I was a FUNCTIONAL alcoholic. I guess I missed the "alcoholic" part of that. To me, I am no longer offended by the word alcoholic. To me it is simply a factual descriptive term about my addiction. And I am certainly addicted. Accepting that fact was instrumental in getting free of it.

Alcohlism is progressive. It just gets worse with time. I can't tell you how many homeless alcoholics or desparately hanging on alcoholics I've met who were quite "functional" at some point in time. I realize today that I was thoroughly kidding myself when I thought my "functionality" somehow meant I "wasn't like those people and didn't have their problem." And I wasn't so terribly "functional" in the end. Because of that pesky progressive thing.

Being brutally honest with myself about these facts helps me get free. I hope you get free too. Daily drinking nearly sucked the life out of me. It certainly sucked the soul out of me.

Congrats on 3 days AF! You are on your way if you decide sobriety is what you want more than you want to drink.

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Well, this is strange...

Welcome HP!! I can relate to just about everything in your story except your age. Please don't wait until you hit 50 to start this journey-you're on a good roll now, keep at it. If I had realized how bad my drinking was 20 years ago (OK, I did know, just didn't want to admit to it), it's anyone's guess how my life would be now. It's not a bad life, but it's not what I know could have been my best life.
                          Lots of tools here to help you and of course the support and camaraderie is amazing!!
                          You might want to hop over to the Newbies Nest-we're serious but fun and crazy!! Also, don't forget to check out the https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html thread for some great ideas to jumpstart your plan.
                          If you never downloaded the MWO book, now's the time. For me, the supplement program was key and i'm just now coming off it. Many people here also use the meds to help taper or control cravings.
                          Your sleep will get better and better the more days you are AF-at least that is the experience of most people here.
                          Good luck and we hope to hear more from you!!
                          New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Well, this is strange...

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and thoughtful replies. It's funny: I had read this forum on and off (well, mostly off... checking in every few months during the "bad" cycles) for the last couple years and generally largely identified with other's stories, yet somehow I didn't expect anyone to identify with mine. :duhme:

I just about to leave work. This is the time I would normally buy up. I am feeling strong today and know that I won't do that today (I'm positive). I am worried about what happens when I am not feeling strong, though. I guess that's what ODAT's all about.

Another funny thing: "One day at a time" always seemed so insignificant to me. I mean, sure, I'll not drink *today*, but were talking about a lifetime here. It's beginning to make more sense...

Comment

Well, this is strange...

Hi Holding...I can relate to your story as well. I can totally identify with the binge drinking until you pass out -but only when alone!- and the high functioning the next day. Also, the slow deterioration of your life and the short-term gratification curse.

I'm 25 years old and I'm trying to get control of this addiction and learn how to handle it early on, before it progresses so far that my life is in shambles. I'm on day 18 AF...I have found this website to be extremely helpful and though I don't post much, I lurk and read every day. I rarely come on here without learning something.
                              Tomorrow's another day.

Comment

Working...
                              X