Just an observation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just an observation...

I don't often start threads but I was just wondering the other day that isn't it odd that it is the 'done thing to do' to render ourselves completely useless and incapable by drinking alcohol.

The majority of people do it regularly without thinking or without questioning it. It's as normal as it is to write a shopping list as it is to make plans in advance to get home after an evening out so as to prevent you drink driving and potentially killing somebody or yourself because you are going to be incapable of operating machinery such as a car, walking properly or having a sensible conversation. You are going to become a different person. Heavy headed, slurring and out of control.

Hangovers are depicted as humourous on the TV and on films. That tell tale sensitivity to loud noises and the bright sun shining in your window. It's painted as funny and acceptable that you feel like death, that the best you can achieve hungover is a day on the sofa curled up with stomach pains, looking like crap.

Just makes me wonder if it's all part of some conspiracy theory - keep the masses under control by dulling their senses with booze and while we're at it we can make a fortune out of them in tax!
    AF since Sunday 27th June 2010
    One Day At A Time

Trying to be the best mother, daughter and friend that I can be.

Just an observation...

Booze is always glamorized or funny. You see pretty women sipping Cosmo's or you have films like The Hangover which is all about drinking and it's aftermath and is very funny.

Tis the way of the world I'm afraid, been like that forever.

If it is a conspiracy theory..Ireland is fecked then lol!
    "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Just an observation...

I don't care for the glamorization of AL in the media.

There is another perspective though. My own hangovers were certainly not funny. They were every day and they were interfering with my ability to function in life.

Mr. Doggy has had one hangover in the 12 years we've been married. Now THAT was FUNNY.

What is humorous or whatever for a normal drinker ceases to be funny for an alkie like me. I always have to try to keep that in perspective.

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Just an observation...

My hangovers were far from funny....trying to struggle thru the day when entertaining kids was horrible, altho I did not get hangovers on a regular basis, when I did they were horrible and absolutely debilitating.

I actually feel quite sick when I think back.

AF 10th May 2010
        NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Just an observation...

Kids and hangovers are a bad mix... the noise, the guilt because the noise is normal.. the noise again and the wanting them to be quiet... Mum, i'm 4 and a half and I'm a boy how can i be quiet??
          Shit the guilt again because fair cop Guv!!!
          Glad its not for me anymore ( not the boy but the booze!!)
          Patrice

Comment

Just an observation...

patrice;927915 wrote: Kids and hangovers are a bad mix... the noise, the guilt because the noise is normal.. the noise again and the wanting them to be quiet... Mum, i'm 4 and a half and I'm a boy how can i be quiet??
            Shit the guilt again because fair cop Guv!!!
            Glad its not for me anymore ( not the boy but the booze!!)
            Patrice
            EXACTLY Patrice, the guilt is shite, knowing that they are not getting the best of you.....

So happy too that my weeknds are so much better because theyare their weekends too.

AF 10th May 2010
            NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Just an observation...

Yes Oney it is their weekends... my little boy is 5 next week and I will be sober.... He sure does deserve it after the year he has been through.. For our beautiful children who need us sober!!!
              xx

Comment

Just an observation...

You are so right Patrice!

I have 3 kids, 10, 6 and almost 3.

I am lucky in the fact they have never seen me drunk but they have seen me in foul mood, hungover and shouting at them. That is so hard to write but it is a thing of the past.

I make a point of doing something with them every weekend, sober and happy and the way it is meant to be, I was blessed to have kids and the very least I can do is be sober for them and for myself. They deserve that and more and I am so very glad they will never grow up with the memories of a drunken parent like I did because it can really feck you up.

AF 10th May 2010
                NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Just an observation...

Oh star statement!!! yes me too I was blessed with a lovely child, and at a very older age (42) - I grew up with parents who were fantastic so why should change the mould ( mold ? English teacher OFF duty)
                  Thanks my dear xxx

Comment

Just an observation...

I have 3 kids also, 16, 14, and 12. One of the things that I hated most about drinking was that they called any alcohol in the house "Mom's beer" or "Mom's wine." Although I never missed getting them to an activity or a practice, I spent more than one early-morning soccer game dry-heaving in the car. Nice, eh? "Where's your mom? She has a stomach flu." Ugh. NEVER again.
                    AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
                    "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

Just an observation...

So good to be out of that hell isn't it Pride? Well done on your AF days too.

LMAO mould/mold.......I think it is mould. Or is it mold...lol

AF 10th May 2010
                      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Just an observation...

Oh pride, not funny but I did laugh... I haven't enrolled the little one in anything yet for that very same reason...but now i can sober

Comment

Just an observation...

Shit Oney I'll post tomorrow when I get back to work and a dictionary... no wonder the kids here in Malaysia are failing!!! Its all my fault with bad spelling and bad attitude.. but really do they still do Olevel in Ireland ? Here they need 5 just to become cleaners!!!

Comment

Just an observation...

The excuses are so absurd, and there are so many, it is funny! One of my favorite drunken-denial articles from "The Onion":

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f4...ank-43716.html

:l
                            AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
                            "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

Just an observation...

We do Leaving Cert here in Ireland. You serious, you need that much to become a cleaner?

AF 10th May 2010
                              NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X