Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A position of pain..

Hi All,

I've been hanging around this forum for awhile now and thought I might contribute my ten cents worth of anguish. I know I have a drinking problem when I use it as a crutch for my life. I never use to be addicted to it. In fact, I avoided it with gusto because of the way I was brought up. You see, both of my parents were alcoholics, especially my mother. My father on the other hand drank at social events, and did he got to a lot of social events. Their problem was that my mother was addicted to my father and my father was addicted to himself. You can safely say that my father wasn't much of one as I was growing up. So for along time, I avoid social events, thinking I would turn into my parents.

This hindered my growth as a man, especially with women. I was befriended by a female neighbor last year and very quickly, we were involved (a week later actually) and it lasted for three glorious months. During this time, we drank a lot and had a great time, but soon cracks started to appear. I'm a pretty laid back person and would absorb her rants as personal attacks. But they got more and darker as it went on. Until on new years eve, just gone. I arrived at her place and realized something was wrong. Her niece(8 years), who was staying with her at the time opened to door. I stepped into the house and it was as I stepped into a freezer. To get to the point, she didn't want to talk to me and I couldn't get her to talk about it, whatever it was and I took it as a problem with me. In hid sight, it was a problem with me. The fact I couldn't deal with her crap anymore.

My biggest problem was that for the last 8 months (not including the drinking time with her) I've been drunk ever since. I hear her voice over the fence and see her kids and grand kids play in the front yard (which I use to play with also). I also know that she has a new BF who's a old family friend that has a lot of money (yes!.. I know that's got nothing to do with relationships) but each time I see her,hear her or even see her car, I get reminded about our time together and it makes my drink even more.

The biggest of all my problems (other than drinking) is I'm in government housing and can't move. I have no friends to speak to, no family (I was abandoned at 18 when me parents got divorced, my father left and didn't come back and my mother went and lived with my auntie in another state), no relatives to rely on (I only have my auntie but we were never close because my father hated her and made us stay away from her) and no social life. Alcohol is making me relive my ugly history and I can't seem to beat it. At most I've been AF for a few days at a time but something would happen, or I see or hear her again and back to the local I'd go. I brought myself a cheap mp3 player to stop hearing her each time I go outside but because I'm using the mp3 player to drown out her sounds my mind goes off to relive our time together.

I know I'm only complaining and have canceled this rant several times before now but I just think someone out there in internet land might offer some advice to a broke and very drunk guy who can't handle his own crap anymore.

Regards

A position of pain..

Hi Brian and Welcome!
    I was touched by your story because I could feel your pain. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. The alcohol may seem like it's helping you, but it isn't. It's making you feel bad and depressed (at least adding to it). How do you manage to get 2-3 days AF now and then, what do you do different on those days?
    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

A position of pain..

Good bye!

I'm sorry I opened my big mouth.. forget I said any of it.

Comment

A position of pain..

fryerbrian, welcome to the site. you sound in so much pain. i can relate a ittle as my parents moved away too and left me. even thoughn im 33 i feel utterly abandoned. please let the folk on here reach out to you. they are all a kind bunch with wise words, i hope you stick around to get to know us all.

we come on here, share our problems and get some good advice from those who have either a long time sober, those who are trying to quit or moderate their drinking aswell as offer our own advice to those in need. hell, sometimes it's just for a bit of banter. stay around, read lots and post some more. we are here to help and get to know you in cyberspace xx

much love

gw xx
        The mind will intellectualize it, the heart will emotionalize it, yet the gut never lies.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9/girly-wirly-s-toolbox-2-45452.html

Comment

A position of pain..

G'day Fryer!

Glad you opened your big mouth, and i hope you stick around here. I was in a very similar situation once, and it really, really hurt's emotionally. It is a horrible feeling. I got over it eventually, and time will heal, but the sooner you get active, and put in some work, the sooner you'll be able to let this go. And let it go, you must. Get busy doing something else. Get your mind distracted, and not dwelling on the negative. Let it go, and do your best to move yourself forward. You can do it. Drinking can numb us to a point, but mentally we are still hyper alive, and re-living and exagerating past pain, and this is very unhealthy for us, as you well know. Try to ease up on your drinking, and get yourself active, and out for walk's, to the library etc. Have a shave and a shower, get out and about more, and you'll see there are plenty of other way's to live your life, and plenty of other fish in the ocean. Maybe spend more time out of the house, and in town, or at the library for a couple of hours a day to break up your day. Try a day or two, or a week off the grog too. Take your life back. Demand it.

Best wishes buddy, G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

A position of pain..

Dude, It fucking sucks. Relationships suck and they can sometimes destroy people. I have been battling the same thing my friend. She seems to be happy and you are not. You want her to be miserable too. I know how you feel. She is a fucking bitch who is now taunting you. She dumped your ass so fuck her. that stupid cunt.

Yes, Yes, and Yes. But.... you can also take her power away by getting your life back together. Stop drinking, become positive and show her you are a good healthy man. She will be pissed at you and you just wait. Her house of cards will tumble again. You will be on top laughing at her misery.

The only way to do it is take the steps to stop drinking one mother f-ing day at a time. It will suck before it gets better but it will get better. this forum is great , stick with us. you are not alone.
            Starting over again 09/06/11

"When its good its good its so good until it goes bad" Pink,Sober

sigpic

Comment

A position of pain..

Don't Go...Most people here are kind and supportive

Hi F-Brian

Please don't be put off my one person's comments, sometimes people can be a little too straight-talking, they don't mean anything by it.

It obviously took a lot of courage on your part to post this thread on the forum and you just needed to get it off your chest and talk it over and that's just what this site is all about. People here drink for all sorts of reasons and you're no different and deserve the support from this site just as much as any of us.

I'm sorry that things didn't work out for you and your ex, I'm sure those 3 months brought you a lot of happiness at the time, but also by the sounds of things the lady had issues of her own, why would she treat you as she did, turning hot and cold towards you in an instant.

Also the fact that you regularly got drunk together, this isn't the ideal start for a relationship, drink distorts everything, can cause arguments over the silliest of things.

I know it doesn't seem like it at the moment but you will get over the split but not while you're drowning your sorrows in drink, all it's doing is making you depressed and thinking/acting illogically.

Please try to turn yourself around, instead of trying to drown out her voice from the garden, go out, walk in the park, go to the shops, cinema anything but hanging around hoping to hear her voice, it's only going to make things worse and by the way .....you're never going to meet Ms Right moping about the house:h

I hope you'll come back to the site and post again, if you want help or just to chat there's always someone here to listen 24/7
              Good luck:l

Comment

Working...
              X