New to this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to this

Hi. I've never blogged before. I've been reading the blogs for a couple days now. Finished the book "My Way Out" yesterday-read it so quickly-I feel excited and terrified. I read an analogy about dipping your toes in and swimming to the other end of the pool....I am definitely on the side, maybe dabbing my finger in a bit.
    I do have a question: I am nervous about taking the meds. How long does it take to get off them? Is this an indefinite thing? I'm so excited about the possibility of breaking this insidious habit, but also am really nervous about a long term medication. It feels good at least to reach out and make a move.
    Sincerely,
    Norcalhope

New to this

hi norcalhope.
    i've not been on any good meds,but did try the topamax from a dodgy Indian supplier whom i think made substandard stuff.
    no side effects & i don't think any real benefits, for me anyway. haven't ordered any more. was on 300mg per day but still nothing really.
    i'm curious about the bac but like you am a tad worried about being on it, but wtf we're slowly killing ourselves with alcohol right?!!
    hang around, it's a good place here.
    saved my life (literally).

Comment

New to this

thanks beagle,
      It's a great feeling to know there's someone out there who is listening and responding. This is all so new to me. I'm taking it really slowly....thanks so much for your input.
      norcalhope

Comment

New to this

you're welcome.
        just feel free to input into any thread....everyone here really makes you feel welcome.
        i'm just a dorky rookie trying to make sense of things.....
        & :welcome:

Comment

New to this

:welcome:
          Just adding my hellos and welcomes.
          Sorry can't help you on the meds front but have a look on the link below to help you get some ideas.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

J x
          :l
          It could be worse, I could be filing.
          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

New to this

I can't help on the meds either, but welcome norcalhope! Been here seven days now and everyone here is so supportive. This is all pretty new to me, too. It's the first time I've ever taken a step to stop talking about not drinking and actually doing something about it!

:welcome:

Comment

New to this

gasping for air

norcalhope;939922 wrote: Hi. I've never blogged before. I've been reading the blogs for a couple days now. Finished the book "My Way Out" yesterday-read it so quickly-I feel excited and terrified. I read an analogy about dipping your toes in and swimming to the other end of the pool....I am definitely on the side, maybe dabbing my finger in a bit.
              I do have a question: I am nervous about taking the meds. How long does it take to get off them? Is this an indefinite thing? I'm so excited about the possibility of breaking this insidious habit, but also am really nervous about a long term medication. It feels good at least to reach out and make a move.
              Sincerely,
              Norcalhope
              hi nor,your in a good place,use it to your advantage,and like everything else in life everything takes time,but mostly patience,as far as meds,som hav to take them the rest of there life s ,i beleive the swimming pool thread was probably one of the many interstin threads made,i think all can relate to it,other then that i wish you well,remember most of all,we all have the Choice from doin rite and wrong,over indulging is not are rite,hav a wonderful day gyco:thanks::goodjob:

Comment

New to this

HI NorCal-:welcome: to MWO!! Make yourself at home on any of the threads but 2 might be of greatest help: The Newbies Nest in Just Starting Out and the Med thread since you asked for advice about meds.
                Myself, I used the book, these forums and the supplement program in the book and it all has saved my life!! You will make some great friends here and learn tons. You do need a plan for each day so definitely check out the Toolbox link JC sent you. Some people also find that starting a journal on here is a great help. It was for me. It kept me honest, accountable and grounded and the feedback helped tremendously.
                Good luck in your journey-you won't be sorry!
                :l
                New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

New to this

Hi Norcalhope,
                  Like you I read No Way Out-excited as hell, ran out got a script of Topa, and just hit 30 days without a drop of alcohol(and believe me,I drank daily-Vodka)!
                  Where was this book years ago, after years of AA, Rehab, and all the other 1000 self help books I read.
                  So I've been taking 75mg -always in the afternoon(it will make you a little sleepy at first), but it's been working. Good Luck!

Comment

New to this

Wow, thanks everyone for your welcomes and responses! It feels really good to just share with someone and bring this blasted beast onto the table. While I don't feel my life is being ruined by my habit, I do know that I've been living at 50% for too long- for years and years. I'm so sick of feeling bad that once again I drank a little too much, didn't sleep, don't want to do something because I feel fuzzy, got into the ice cream because I was buzzed, did I say something stupid? etc. etc. The thought of giving it up completely makes me too nervous, so I think I'll just move forward, buy the supplements and the cd's, continue to research the meds, and see. I'll take a look at the tool box link and I'll root around to find the journal. Today's a new day!

Comment

New to this

good luck! this site is amazing! it's wonderful to sign on and know that you're gonna find SOMEONE who understands what is happening with you. i don't feel so alone any more, and what a wonderful feeling that is!

Comment

Working...
                      X