Sober (AF) September Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right back at you Coco! I find I drink gallons of anything I think because I am use to having a drink in my hand. We can do sober October too.

Comment

Just downed a bottle of wine. Jesus, that was so easy. Still committed to an AF life however, just a glitch in the program. Off to change DrinkTracker.
      One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

I drink sparkling water which is mindblowingly boring but so are all AF drinks to me so I wouldn't waste calories on sweet sort of things. My hubby has just gone 2 weeks without booze, no idea why - he has no problem, and I haven't really a problem with him drinking, I think he won't admit it but I think he wants to loose a bit of a belly?! Anyway he had pomegranate juice and sparkling water and I had a taste and it was quite nice.
        I gave up drink because I am 54 now and without ANY doubt I would have been dead within a couple of years the amount I was drinking and I would have lost my children and husband in the meantime - simple as that.
        Molly
        Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
        contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Change's post..(sorry dont know how to do the highlight thing)

Just downed a bottle of wine. Jesus, that was so easy

Change, you just drank a bottle of wine? Are you ok?

Oh Lord, that was me just a few days ago. I was being in robot mode and kept buying wine, then getting mad at myself, then throwing it away or drinking it.

It took me a month of this behavior before this challenege. I just started thinking of how I wanted to break the bonds so badly, how its just not worth it, not to mention I was just throwing my money down the toilet.

You can do this!!!! The shit is poison to people like us!
          I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

sidney;949874 wrote: Right back at you Coco! I find I drink gallons of anything I think because I am use to having a drink in my hand. We can do sober October too.
            Right? My glass of wine is gone before I leave the kitchen. I don't know how to sip.
            (It's VERY ladylike.) I fill my glass three times before anyone else needs a top-up.
            Coco

Comment

Good morning all,

Day 5..had a drinking dream last night already Was soooo happy to wake up...a couple of nightmares as well.

Looking forward to feeling at peace, but know that it will take longer than 5 days. The day will come when everything is brighter and the thought of AL is gone.

I am a little bit nauseaus this week as well..anyone else??

PS

Comment

-- from Sunbeam

was thinking about a week by week curruculum here - do you think I've done some teaching??? People can always post whatever they like: by the time you figure out your question, you are half-way to the answer. But if you are unsure about what to post, here's my thought: this week we can have a getting-to-know-you theme. Think about: what's your favorite AF beverage, what made you decide to quit drinking right now, what do you tell your friends, how do you deal with cravings, describe your family support or lack thereof. Please post additional questions you would
                My favorite AF beverage (this week) is sparkling water mixed with lemonade in a tall glass with lots of ice. It has been very warm here.

What Made me decide to quit drinking -- I decided to quit because it was becoming a habit. I was drinking about a bottle of wine - 4 x a week. I really don't do that anymore, but have failed to quit completely. I sometimes (alot really) drink beer - about three 5 x a week.

I don't think I have family support because they don't think I have a problem. I do and I want to quit, but without support it is hard. Last night hubby comes home with beer and asks do I want one and I had three. ARGUH.....I am so mad at myelf. He does not have a problem. I need a backbone.

Thanks to everyone who reads this post....I feel like it is so self indulgent...I will try to be more help to others and hope this post helps someone, somehow.

Comment

free bird;949916 wrote: My favorite AF beverage (this week) is sparkling water mixed with lemonade in a tall glass with lots of ice. It has been very warm here.

I don't think I have family support because they don't think I have a problem. I do and I want to quit, but without support it is hard. Last night hubby comes home with beer and asks do I want one and I had three. ARGUH.....I am so mad at myelf. He does not have a problem. I need a backbone.

My problem exactly - people constantly offering me drinks (pouring them and handing them over - even after saying no). My husband doesn't want me to quit - he just wants me to be a normal drinker. I can be a lot of things, but I can't be that.
                  Coco

Comment

Coco -- I know. What is a "normal" drinker. By all the standards I've seen, I don't comply. For that matter, many don't. Never really wanted to be "NORMAL", but in this situation, it would be nice.

Don't get me wrong. I d not want to be a normal drinker either. I want to be a non drinkier.

Comment

Hi All!
                      Just checking in on the September Challenge. Hope everyone is doing well. Just finished Allen Carr's "The EASYWAY to Stop Smoking"....so I am currently reminding myself that I am no longer a slave to nicotine and Yay! I'm Free!
                      I hope everyone enjoys their AF day!
                      K9
                      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Hi K-9!!!

After a month of going RIGHT BACK to the EXACT same patterns and habits, I decided I had had enough. I was literally buying bottles of wine, getting mad at myself, then throwing the full bottles of wine away, or drinking them. Oh, also had a few bottles of vodka bought in the process too.

Then the September Challenge came about and I did a comparision. Hmmm... Was I happier sober or was I happier being in bondage again??? Hmmmm....

Well to answer my own question, I decided to join the Challenge and also go back on the Antabuse! So I am again your Antabuse popping Sista!!!

155 Days AF!!! You ROCK GIRL!!!

IF YOU CAN BEAT DRINKING.... YOU CAN BEAT SMOKING!!!!!!
                        I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

hello friends!
                          how's it going?
                          well this is day 3 for me and I am feeling fine, looking forward to cooking up some corn on the cob shortly
                          for me whenI decide to give my body a much-needed rest from alcohol, I turn to food in a big way, that is my pattern for A/F periods, lots of food, mainly healthy but not always! yesterday i had a real urge for a magnum icecream, almond flavour and i enjoyed every lick as I walked along the street-earlier i had been chatting to myself (I know! I know!) about the groups of people who do not drink any alcohol and are happy and I thought about children, so I reckon that was why i indulged in a "guilty" pleasure and loved it, much like I did when I was a child. I enjoy working out what food I'd like to eat today and will continue like this for the forthcoming Sept days- planning meals, shopping, preparing, cooking- all help to fill my non-drinking hours! So! Anyone else keen on talking about food over the next few weeks? I find it's really important to fill that gap, that desire to be satisfied, and what with the whole blood sugar yoyo business, if I eat lots of brown rice for example, it curbs cravings for alcohol and unhealthy sugars-works for me anyhow! i probably tend to overeat when i am not drinking but that could be sticking a raw carrot or a bit of apple in my mouth, just to keep it away from harm. also certain foods just don't "go" with wine, which has to be a plus! Homemade lentil soup is another standby, especially now it's getting a bit colder here in the UK. No way would i think of sipping wine with that!
                          Why have I joined the challenge? because I drink too much white wine too easily and too often. lately I have been AF but only for a week at a time. I need more time to think seriously about my drinking and what needs to be done, so an initial month-long commitment seems a good starting point. I would like to wish everyone every success with this and I am most grateful for the thread :thanks:

Comment

Evening

Beautiful sunny evening here and I?m still feeling positive and well supported by all you lovely friends from around the world ? isn?t that quite an amazing thought?

My favourite AF drinks are tonic with ice & slice (seems popular), elderflower & lemon spring water, tomato juice, also chamomile, peppermint & fennel tea. I stopped drinking 9 days ago because I simply reached my bottom and couldn?t face another day in despair. I?ve never gone longer than 9 days AF for the past 25+ years so tomorrow is a milestone for me :happyheart: My family don?t know about me quitting drink so far, I want to get a few weeks under my belt first and I'm not sure how they feel or if they realise I have a problem?

Am off for another long walk ? got to keep moving at this time of night but I'll check in later.

Dewdrop :h
                            Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

Anna, I love talking about food! Only prob is all the things I like I'm told aren't good for me anymore and that pisses me off cos they used to be sort of good things - bugger!
                              Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                              contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Hang in there Pinky!
                                "The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes

Comment

Working...
                                X