Sober (AF) September Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mornin Neart and Firefox, I too was HORRIFIED at the thought of never drinking again when I started out - it seemed absolutely inconceiveable, and telling the absolute truth now, when I started, in the back of my head I was sort of 'planning' on getting the body healthy - never even thought about the mind - thought it was great (yeah right!!) and then go back to drinking - which I duly tried, twice. Both times were an unmitigated DISASTER!! So now - yes I can honestly, hand on heart, say that I have no problem with the concept of never drinking again, but it took a while to get here so in the meantime deffo, today is the ONLY day that counts. going to look at the piano at the weekend Neart, I also love the musicals
    Molly
    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Pride Goeth Before a Fall...

Oh boy - so here I was all chuffed up about Day 22, no cravings for over a week, oh-isn't-this-just-a-piece-of-cake-now, look at me marching down the wine aisle and staring each bottle right in the eye - no effect.... when... all of a sudden... a craving hit:

I was driving along the street last night - people had begun dragging their garbage to the curb in anticipation of this morning's solid waste collection (Hurray - it's GARBAGE DAY today!) when I spotted an old beer box at the end of someone's driveway. That's it - an empty Bud Light box - and I actually started salivating. Not some glossy liquor ad with tony folk elegantly sipping or anything even remotely glamorous - it was a piece of TRASH - but it caused a mighty craving... I had to take myself sternly in hand and give myself quite a talking-to...

So here I am - Day 23 but a little bit humbled and quite a bit wiser. It ain't over yet.

Onward all - Happy "Hump Day" - stay strong! We're almost at the challenge mid-point!

Coco
      Coco

Comment

Coco - I was holding my breathe as I read your post.... thank God you didnt surcome to the craving, well done. I hope it was a VERY serious talking too.

I am going through some shit at the moment and although getting drunk would be a great temporary escape, the thought of the shame and self loathing I would feel afterwards fills me with horror and luckily this is a strong enough fear to save me from myself...
        "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
        AF - JAN 1st 2010
        NF - May 1996

Comment

Chillgirl;959760 wrote: Coco - I was holding my breathe as I read your post.... thank God you didnt surcome to the craving, well done. I hope it was a VERY serious talking too.

I am going through some shit at the moment and although getting drunk would be a great temporary escape, the thought of the shame and self loathing I would feel afterwards fills me with horror and luckily this is a strong enough fear to save me from myself...
          It's more the thought of waking up the next day and knowing you've blown it. What a horrid feeling that is...

And I'm so ashamed to be coveting GARBAGE - really, I thought I had a little more class.
          Coco

Comment

Good morning everyone! I am new to this posting, a couple of you have invited me to join in so here I am. Today is day 8 AF for me. I am feeling good and am greatful to have found my way back to MYO. This is my 2nd try here and I can only hope it is my last one. I havent posted much this time around but I have been reading and gaining strength from each of you! I too used to be horrified at the thought of never drinking again but I am more horrified at the damage that I have done to not only myself, but my children, family and friends by continuing to drink. That being said, I join your challenge and look forward to getting to know more of each of you. Have a great day!

Comment

Welcome Tired!!

Of course you can join in. Looking forward to learning more about you!

Coco Nut. Good job on resisting those cravings. Time for me to fess up. When those cravings strike me hard like that, 9 times out of 10, I give in! Thats why taking Antabuse is so crutial for me. I still get those cravings but a stopper is put into place. I cant drink on this med!

Im in awe of you and so happy you made it through. I guess if we never got those cravings, then all of this would be pretty damn easy wouldnt it?? And yes, they strike out of nowhere too dont they. Hopefully with time, and practice resisting them, they will get less and less.

Day 16 here! Feeling good! Happy Hump Day everyone! Be strong today, because YOUR WORTH IT!
              I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Like Chill I am going through some shit today...serious shit. But I am determined not to drink. I know it will only make it worse. Coco I get the weirdest cravings too. I don't drive down the street with the liquor store. and the billboards on the highway drive me nuts.
                All the beautiful people downing sweating glasses of good looking stuff. You are a champ for not caving. Day 24 I cannot wait to count in months again. Thanks for all the strength you all give me as I go through this difficult day.
                Sid

Comment

Hey Sid,

Dont know what your going through, but sending you some strength your way to overcome. I know you will be successful.

I still fantasize about those glasses of chilled wine. They look so lovely and they are lovely for the people who can enjoy 2 glasses. The last time I drank wine, I drank 4 glasses, then unknown to my new boyfriend, I drove to the store and bought 3 more bottles of wine! What kind of crazy behavior is that??? Anyways, kudos to the people who can enjoy their wine. We are not like them, so we have to just accept that we are different. Hey, there could be worse things in the world right???

Hugs, and I hope whatever is going on with you today is resolved QUICKLY!! Be strong Sidney!!!!

Comment

Sid & Overit - I keep getting thoughts about how nice it is to share a bottle of wine, or toast a glass of champagne on a special occasion but I have to keep reminding myself that its NEVER EVER just spliting a bottle of wine, the only thing that ends up spliting is my head :H
                    "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                    AF - JAN 1st 2010
                    NF - May 1996

Comment

Ha! I hear ya there Chill!!

Its also like this. I suppose I could force myself into having 2 glasses of wine. BUT WHAT FREAKING TORTURE!!!! 2 Glasses of WINE???? That for me is like having somebody stick a sharp object under my fingernails! TORTURE!!!

So knowing this... and knowing my nice 2 glasses of wine will turn into 10. Um... hmmmm, probably not a good idea!

Comment

Hey guys seems like a few are hitting a sticky patch so lets all hang tight and just get through the next few seconds, minute, hour and then odat. You have all done so well and I am so proud to be part of this great group. I?m sending on strong, positive vibes around the world to you all. I'm feeling strong today so lean on me. :l

Welcome Tired glad you decided to join us and Coco you do have heaps more class!

Dewdrop :h
                        Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

im the same, its much easier not to drink than to sit and watch your empty glass and wonder if anyone will notice if you top it up while they all have full ones!
                          AF - JAN 1st 2010
                          NF - May 1996

Comment

You are so right no point in 2 glasses of wine it never ever is enough. Just concentrating on how good it is not to have to drink all that awful stuff after the first one or two. Been out for a run and am planning on running a half marathon in November. So will have a goal to keep me of the booze. No pain from my broken bones and it is only 24 days since I fell over! Our bodies are amazing.

Comment

Crossed post Chill Yes I often had the empty glass first and hoped nobody noticed me re filling it and always filled it to the top

Comment

Anon - A half marathon is a great motivator!
                                What did you break when you fell over? My rock bottoms last year were a series of falls with broken ribs which took 8-10 weeks to heal, i was in agony! Still carried on drinking for 10 months then fell again just before I found this site.
                                AF - JAN 1st 2010
                                NF - May 1996

Comment

Working...
                                X