Week one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Week one

It has been exactly a week since I have last drank....I feel good and I feel safe and happy that I havent done anything terrible this week. I will admit I feel kinda lonely though. My social setting on the weekends involved alcohol, at dinner, drinks with friends....I was reading another post and somebody had said that they felt they needed to drink before they went out to bring em out of there shell to start their personality so to speak...thats kinda how I felt last night. I was around people drinking and didnt drink and I could tell I was much more quiet and friends were asking me what was wrong with me and why was I so quiet? I had nothing to say...It was interesting to watch people engage in drinking from a sober perspective. Tonight I am at home while friends are out, laughing, drinking, and having a social life and I chose to be home. It will take time but I will have to find new friends. I remember a friend of mine telling me a story about a night out I missed and she said "we had soooo much fun it was a blast" I said well what happend what did you do? and she said "I dont know I was sooo drunk I dont remember?" Man, I dont want to do that anymore, I dont want to be that woman anymore. I am home lonely but I am safe for tonight.

Week one

Congratulations on your week sober. You may not have to find new friends. As a group you all think you need to drink to have fun. You may not be alone in wanting to quit, you may just be the first to admit it, a trendsetter! Quiet is okay, its possible to be having a nice time and be quiet. You are doing really well keep it up.
    Suz
    Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

Week one

hi okkslady,good post,congrats on your sobriety,even after a week you can see the benefits of not doing the over drink thing,ive had my sobriety days , for now,ive tried to ,like yourself,teach my self, how to enjoy life with or withourt it,it can be done,even without pills,this site has many avenues to chose from,but it stillcomes down to being our choice,my wife has seen the worse in me,and the best,we lern , and it took me 40 years to do so,drinking is not normal,and im talking for me,the way i did it at one time,i wish you well but remember,stick around and it will help you make the rt choice for You gyco

Comment

Week one

Hi Okkslady, good job on your new lifestyle, keep up the work. And it is hard work. I used to "warm up" before going out too, to get ready for the social event. But it was not my personality that I let out, it was me on my stages of getting drunk. Now that I am sober, I am finding my true personality again, and I am way more outgoing than I was when I was drinking. It is amazing being able to talk with people without worrying about booze breath, and being able to look people in the eyes at any time of the day, etc etc.

I do miss some of the partying aspect like you say. I love being able to get up early, work out, do whatever, every day of the week. Attending parties sober, is not as bad as I thought, it is still fun. Some of them, I don't go to and stay in, like you said, and that is Ok too.

I am glad you are safe, and sorry that you are lonely. It is, in my opinion, better to be lonely than to be drinking alone - which is what I used to do every weekend. All the best,
        Hill
        Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Week one

Hi, I am at home right now and alone. My social life has always involved drinking. I grew up in a relatively small town so that was what everyone did for fun so to speak. I also drink for confidence and to "come out of my shell." I am on day at so basically a week sober for me also!!

Angel
          Courage is not the absence of fear, it's acting in spite of it.

Comment

Week one

I found that when my drinking became a problem the 'social' aspect of it went out the door anyway, I was home alone anyway and drinking and hiding and lying and hating myself.
            Molly
            Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
            contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Working...
            X