Major temptation - the grocery store!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yikes, went grocery shopping where I always pick up that bottle of chilled white wine. Boy I could taste it. I just kept think of something I ready from Molly where she says to herself "I don't drink (that may be misquoted - I apologize)." I thought I've got to eat something so I bought some baked corn tortillas scooper and some salsa and had it out of the back of my care - and more when I got home and a power bar! Whew....thanks for being here. I'm going to make it through this day:new:

Hi mere! Congratulations on getting through the grocery store. Early on there are so many triggers it's like a mine field out there!

You might find it helpful to shop at a different grocery store if you can, and change some of your habits and routes so that things are not 'calling your name' so loudly. "Change your people, places and things" as the saying goes.

Good job!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi mere,

Congrats on a successful AF day!
      Keep going, you'll love the results

Wishing you the best!
      Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Mere, Wow yes, the shopping centre is SUCH a temptation for me. I find hmm well if I can't buy that wine I am going to buy some lollies/chocolate instead, and maybe a dvd too.

Angel
        Courage is not the absence of fear, it's acting in spite of it.

Comment

Sometimes can be good to avoid any trigger places for the first, early days.

Comment

Congratulations on 8 days, that is great. I'm so glad you are feeling better too.

I also have a related question to people that have been successfully abstinant for awhile.... When does alcohol stop calling your name and being on your mind constantly? I am waiting for the day that I can go to the grocery store and walk by the alcohol aisle like I do when I walk by the dog food aisle.... don't even notice it's there, don't need it, don't care. Does that ever happen?

Perhaps since I have been trying to moderate (relatively successfully) it has not happened for me. But, that's another topic that I will post about soon.

Comment

time

looking for peace;953568 wrote: Congratulations on 8 days, that is great. I'm so glad you are feeling better too.

I also have a related question to people that have been successfully abstinant for awhile.... When does alcohol stop calling your name and being on your mind constantly? I am waiting for the day that I can go to the grocery store and walk by the alcohol aisle like I do when I walk by the dog food aisle.... don't even notice it's there, don't need it, don't care. Does that ever happen?

Perhaps since I have been trying to moderate (relatively successfully) it has not happened for me. But, that's another topic that I will post about soon.
              good thread i beleive all go thro that,problem,alchohol will never go away,any more then wars,i think everyones mind set has to change,when i went thro treatment in 2008,i asked the same question to councillors there,i almost got kicked out,if society was so concerned,with us addicted people they would treat us as cancer patients,to society it is not the same,as someone said learning what triggers you AS AN ADDICTED MINDED PERSON IS THE ULTIMATE GOAL,ANYONE CAN DRINK,staying stopped is the key question,Time heals all, gyco:goodjob::thanks:

Comment

ranting is good hahha hi zen hahahaha

Comment

When I'm at the market, I act as if I'm wearing blinders when I get to the wine/beer cooler section. Move past quickly, and get on with shopping!

Comment

Sometimes the bottles glow!! Well done Mere
                    Be strong-
                    We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
                    Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

It's even worse when you're at the fag counter and there's a queue - always a load of alcohol offers behind the counter! I also find it worse in Summer when there's loads of offers on crates of beer, Pimms and spirit mixers etc.

I would suggest DO NOT go shopping if you're craving - otherwise I try to be philosophical about it and look at how expensive the alcohol is compared to my very healthy basket of proper food and drink. I try to maintain a sort of amused distance from the booze if that makes sense - and try to think of it as something that I no longer connect with me.
                      Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Actually funny that you should start this thread Mere, On Sunday just gone I had to go to the supermarket to get bits and pieces for family dinner - veg, cream etc. I went up about 10.30AM and realised FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER I had forgotten that licensing hours in Ireland you can't buy alcohol before 12.30PM on a Sunday - I felt empowered! Prior to that I turned 'supermarket treat' from bottle of voddie to a Brunch (icecream!) I now automatically think of a brunch when I go there. Now just remembered I have colour in my hair for 50 mins instead of 35 - what shagging colour am I going to be byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
                        Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                        contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

yep supermarket shopping can be lethal as can colouring hair. What colour Molly?

Comment

Orange now
                            Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                            contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Fab Molly. Can always be reversed by products fro the chemist. Husband watching footie I am going to play on laptop and drink orange (yes orange Molly) and soda

Comment

Working...
                              X