First AA Meeting Tomorrow night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So over a week has past since my last Binge and trip to A&E for self harming. I went to see a counseller today and she told me that she doesnt normally work with anybody if they are not being supported by AA.

So I got on the blower to AA and have arranged to go to my first meeting... eeeeekkkkk....
    Don't Let The Bastards Grind You Down - Eat Them Alive

1 - 2 - 3

Flip Top, If it's like the one that I went to you will love it, when people share their stories you will feel such an understanding and empathy with them, and you will think 'OMG I used to do that' ....... even though I don't attend the meetings anymore I still keep in touch with several of the friends that I made .............

Good Luck with it and please keep us posted
    sigpicXXX

Comment

Flip Top, Like BB said, I too enjoy the fellowship with people I can relate to. It's a lot like here only face to face. Keep an open mind and enjoy the experience. It beats hanging out with AL.

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Flip Top....congrats on deciding to go to your first meeting. I have never been to one but have definitely considered going. Please let us know how is goes for you!!
        AF Since Sept. 20, 2010!!!

Comment

Hi All
          Flip this is really doing what ever it takes to get sober. Until we try new paths we have no idea if that one will be the one that is the key to our success. Also sometimes we try a method and for what ever reason it isn't the answer. Maybe it wasn't the answer at that point in time. We do change it might be the answer now. You will win this battle as long as you are willing to search for your own answer it is out their.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
          AF 5-16-08
          Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
          AF 5-16-08

Comment

Hi Flip Top (I keep wanting to call you Flip Flop!)

I haven't gone to AA but I would say just do whatever you need to do to get sober and if you get the counselling you need what have you got to lose?? I also haven't ruled AA out at this stage, I am only 29 days AF but determined to stay that way and I have read so many stories on these threads of people with a good length of time AF cracking so I am under no illusion that I am different.

Good luck and keep posting

Dewdrop:h
            Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

hey Flip. Stay posted and tell us what you think about your first meeting, Dont let the mention of God put you off cause it's not a religious program ok? x
              Be strong-
              We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
              Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

Flip - wishing you all the best at your 1st meeting, they are a wonderful bunch of people and it could be just the support you need, please check in and let us know how it went...
                "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                AF - JAN 1st 2010
                NF - May 1996

Comment

Flip Top......What ever works ! Go to AA.....good support their. You don't have to go through the 12 steps if you don't want too.
                  Have a cup of coffee on my dime while your their ! Ha!
                  (They make damn good coffee......miss that. Ha!)
                  ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                  those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                  Dr. Seuss

Comment

Iad they make great tea to.

OK went to first meeting. The counselor that I am speaking to wants me to give it a go for at least 6 weeks. I felt like everybody there had been through a lot more than I have with this beast.
                    I am going again tomorrow night... It kind of gives me a goal to stay off the al.

It's plucking up the courage to say something in the meeting as I feel that I should or should I just sit and listen?

I'm not religious at all so I sort of get that feeling that I don't belong. But maybe that is just how I feel all in all.

2 weeks AL free yesterday......
                    Have had cravings but smacked them away with a 5kg sledge hammer.

My GF says she wants to go out to meet people with me which usually means meeting in a pub but I don't feel up to it, am I being unreasonable? I have been out for lunch with friends twice now and have just had a pint of coke which is one goal hit....
                    Don't Let The Bastards Grind You Down - Eat Them Alive

1 - 2 - 3

Comment

Hi Flip Flop! First off, HUGE congrats on 2 weeks AF! That is great! Have you given some thought to what you've been doing that is working, so you can make sure to keep doing it?

On AA - you are really free to share if you want to, or just listen if you want to. You may find that one day some topic or other will really hit home to you and you will feel like sharing then. Go with the flow - it's fine either way.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. ("Religion" is not required)

I'd really think about going to any pubs for the time being. At two weeks AF, I sure wasn't ready to handle that atmosphere without drinking. I have to always, always, always put my sobriety first. Does your GF understand that? Is she supportive of your efforts? If so, I hope she understands that you may not be up for the same life style that was common while drinking.

Strength and hope to you!

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Flip

I wouldn't recommend meeting in a pub. AA say you should avoid "wet" places, coke also isn't great because it's full of caffeine which can put you on edge too. Can those people not meet you in a cafe instead? I never go into a pub unless it's my very last option or part of a definite other activity i.e. bar where there'll be an activity I am interested in like an act or group, plus dancing and then I don't sit around a table with drinks -I'm up on the dance floor or at the front.

By the way I'm not religious either but did get the 'higher power' thing eventually. To me it's basically whatever belief I have in me that gets me through the day.

Comment

Flip Top - When I first went to AA, one member who was very resistant at first advises newcomers to "take what you get out of it." The higher power, or God whatever you want to call it in particular was what he had the most trouble with. Many, many people do. UKB's description is great. It's anything. I have heard it be dogs, the wind, a moving van (?), as well as God.

This member also said don't worry about it if you don't get all of it. "Get what you can right now." I find it's a process, it is very individual in how it comes about, and when, and that's OK. I'm slow, trust me!

If there are different groups or different meetings in your area you may want to try them. Groups, and even particular meetings within the same group, can vary a lot. If you feel like sharing, share, if not you don't have to. It's not a matter of how low you go (as far as alcoholism).

I wish you the best, and congratulations on 2 weeks AF - hang in there!
                          ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Good for you Flippers...Report back and let us know! xx Good Luck.
                            "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                            NF 12th May 2010

Comment

excellent job Flip on 2 weeks.....
                              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Working...
                              X