Can't Sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Sleep

I have been tapering off my beer habit for the last week and am down to 5 to 6 beers a day. My problem is that i can't sleep. I have meds i can take to sleep and they aren't helping. I am mentally exhausted. I think that I am not sleeping since I am not going to sleep wasted and I am reluctant to take the meds because I am still tapering. It's an anti depressant (remeron). I usually wait at least three hours after my last beer to take it. This tapering thing has me very neurotic but going cold turkey kills me for months after my last drink. I suffer from severe anxiety to begin with. Well thats about it. Any advice would be of help to me.

Can't Sleep

Hey Robbie, sorry it's so rough! Passing out isn't sleeping, though, so don't miss AL on that account.

I know it's a huge drag trying to stay focused on quitting when you're exhausted, but the insomnia's pretty common during withdrawal. All you can do is ride it out. Go ahead and take the remeron if you haven't already (it wasn't clear in your post). It won't interfere with tapering off alcohol, and if you're anything like me, it'll knock you out like a light (I actually stopped taking it because it made me so sleepy). Hang in there, xoxo Pride
    AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
    "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

Can't Sleep

Hi Robbie61, I hope that you got a little more sleep last night. Unfortunatley I don't have a lot of experience with remeron. For me, exercise has always helped me sleep better. Decreasing your daily beer intake is great for your health, so keep up the good work. Are you eating proper servings of all your food groups - healthy nutrition? I find that the better I eat the better I feel and sleep.

All the best,
      Hill
      Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Can't Sleep

Hi Robbie61. I suffer from a Panic Disorder, so anxiety is sort of built in. I went through three or four days of paralysing anxiety (kept having to gasp as I was forgetting to breathe it was so ghastly) and didn't sleep a wink in that time. Also, a headache that almost blinded me. However, it did pass and I am so much better for going through it. Bear with it and the symptoms reduce. My anxiety level is way below what it's been for years and I wonder how much of it had to do with AL in the first place. All the best in your journey.
        :h Mish :h
        :h Mish :h
        sigpic
        Never give up...
        GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
        Remaining a perpetual possibility
        Only in a world of speculation.
        What might have been and what has been
        Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

Can't Sleep

Hi Robbie,

I suffer from anxiety - not so much with AL out of my system. When I first quit it took a good week before I really slept, and was it ever nice to have a real, honest sleep. Not one that is AL induced and caused me to wake in the middle of the night with anxiety.

Melatonin works for me..sub lingual type that melt under the tongue.

Keep coming back and once you are totally tapered you will no doubt enjoy a restful night's sleep.

Comment

Can't Sleep

Robbie, some have had success with the herb valerian taken before bedtime. Passion Flower extract may be helpful as well (taken when you wake up during the night).
            sigpic
            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Can't Sleep

After nearly 5 months without AL, I no longer fear the night. Even on nights when I sleep poorly I stilll feel refreshed. I may feel a little tired but I don't have that heavy feeling. And, I am in my mid '40's and now I never look tired, even after a restless night.

This is kinda cool! And worth the effort. If you have the ability to keep tapering down, keep doing it and get to the other side. The first week may be tough but what's a few bad nights relative to a lifetime of exhaustion?
              AF since May 6, 2010

Forget the past, plan for tomorrow, and live for today.

Comment

Can't Sleep

Robbie

Yes this is normal, AL really messes with our sleep pattern and it rebounds badly when you stop or cut the AL out. Really is a matter of riding it out as sleeping tablets are habit, as well as tolerance forming.

I try to remember that the unpleasant effects of withdrawl are something to be gone through, part of the dependency and without that we would not be put off drinking again.

Comment

Can't Sleep

Robbie,

My last bottle of wine was Sunday night, have had nothing since. The first two nights were bad, no sleep and weird half awake/half asleep dreams. Wednesday was so much better, I woke at 4am and said out loud "Wow, I actually slept". I take ativan (small amount 1.5mg at most) at night to sleep and for anxiety anyway. Told my doctor I was quitting AL and he told me I could up the ativan since I was initially afraid to try to sleep. I think I'm going to be fine. I can't believe what a difference 2 days made for me!!! Now about all those TV commercials/shows that show that lovely bottle of wine...... UGH!!

Comment

Working...
                  X