Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sober October Challenge!

Hi everyone!

Hippy, mucho respect for writing that post - I know myself how hard it is to commit some of the things done under the influence to writing and admit them "out loud". If I were there, I'd give you a hug :l My lowest was waking up in hospital and I still struggle and cringe about the details of that incident, not to mind all the other million stupid things I did. I have to say, I feel a sense of relief a lot of the time at the thought of remaining AF. Like Dextie said - what's the point of having a good time if you can't remember it?! I do miss AL sometimes, but if I were drinking I'd miss the feeling of being able to trust myself a whole lot more.

Dewdrop, so glad to hear your job is coming together for you! Witchy, sounds like you are busy - coming up to Hallowe'en, eh?! haha Peace, have a great weekend. Guy - you are doing great! I love that bounce out of bed feeling - I think it's coming back to me this week. This morning I was up early to drop my mum to the train, and I was lying in bed before getting up looking out at the sky (it was still dark) and I saw a big shooting star!! A happy start to the day

Molly, how is the kiddo? Spinning, I guess it is a bit stressful, but I do love the kids - they come out with the funniest things. Anon, sounds like you learned a lot from your experience. Icandothis - sorry about problems with your hubbie.

Hi to everyone else!
    AF since 13th July 2010
    NF since 5th July 2010

Comment

Sober October Challenge!

I just had to add that a few hours later, I am tucked up in bed early, and the rain is lashing outside - I love being in bed when I can hear the rain - so cosy!! Gonna settle down with a book and a cuppa now. Hope everyone's been having a great day
      AF since 13th July 2010
      NF since 5th July 2010

Comment

Sober October Challenge!

Hi Neart!
        I totally agree that being in bed with a good book while it's raining outside is one of life's best and simplest pleasures! Now, you know I gotta ask....what are you reading??
        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Sober October Challenge!

I don't know!! I just finished a book earlier this evening (Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella, disappointing). So I'm torn. I am toying with: Anna Karenina or Shantaram. And I have to finish Allen Carr's Easy Way to Control Drinking, but I'm only reading bits of that at a time. And I got a book from the library today about a kid who became quadraplegic after an accident. Decisions!! What are you reading at the mo?

I was at my friend's house the other day and his 10 year old nephew was there. He picked up John Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath, we were talking about it and we said something about how he might like to read it some day but that it might be a bit heavy for him now, etc. The kid starts handling the book, jigging it up and down to see how heavy it was in his hands - so cute
          AF since 13th July 2010
          NF since 5th July 2010

Comment

Sober October Challenge!

I am reading "Father of the Rain". I read Anna Karenina a long time ago, and I have Shantaram on hold at the library....hmmmm, so many choices! Either one would be a good one!

Kids are funny aren't they? They take everything so literally! (Well, everything except "Go clean your room") LOL
            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Sober October Challenge!

I know, they're so funny A friend of mine was teaching 5 and 6 year olds and they are always coming up telling you random stuff like "I like clouds" and "your hair is the same colour as mine" etc.

So this kid comes up to her one morning and told her that he couldn't sleep the night before. She was sympathising with him, and asked him what did he do when he couldn't sleep.

To which he replied "I got out of bed and went downstairs, and Mummy and Daddy were sunbathing in front of the fire".

I thought it was a brilliant excuse
              AF since 13th July 2010
              NF since 5th July 2010

Comment

Sober October Challenge!

Hi all,

Anon sorry you had a slip but glad that you are back on track again, it doesn?t negate all the time you?ve already put in. Ican I?m sorry to hear you are having relationship problems that is never easy but drinking wont make it easier just as you say. Peace have a lovely break and Dextie you are doing really well and getting stronger every day. As for cmhguy my goodness you are on top of the world by the sound of it !

I?ve had another good day at work and have been in a great mood today ? long may it last!! And I am so looking forward to the weekend, you know when I started this I dreaded the first few weekends but now I feel completely the opposite, I am amazed at how different life is these days. I find it hard to understand how much alcohol distorts your thinking and perception, it?s like a veil has been lifted and suddenly I am seeing things with different eyes. Does that sound weird?? I don't want to lose this.

Hope you are all well,

Dewdrop :h
                Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

Sober October Challenge!

Neart crossed post - :H:H:H:H
                  Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

Sober October Challenge!

Well another day down
                    Stength with numbers!
                    Too tired to read, l have just started eat pray and love not sure what to think of it yet.
                    Off to bed an intense weight workout Friday.
                    Keep posting, I will be back for coffee with ya's in the morning! :nutso:

Comment

Sober October Challenge!

Hello to everyone :h

I don't have much to report except that I'm feeling pretty happy. Still AF and NF. The kids stuff is funny. I've been teaching workshops to 6 yr old kids during the school holidays at a kids store... One little girl said the cutest thing... She said, "I can't swim, but I am really good at paddling and sinking."

:l to the Sober October crew!!

Comment

Sober October Challenge!

Good Morning everyone! Just a quick check in before the girls get up! It's good that you stopped at 2 drinks anon and you came straight back here :l. I hope everyone has a good AF Friday. This thread is really inspiring me :thanks:. Day 47 AF ! :h
                        :lilangel:

Comment

Sober October Challenge!

Good morning October gang!
                          Feeling great this morning and ready to continue the war.

A good lesson learned the other night which I will keep in mind if I ever open the drinks fridge.

Off out tonight with my family for a meal at a pub. I have already told them I will not be drinking and so there will not be any pressure there.

How are you Molly? missing your posts!

Off for a run and then posh hairdo later:h

Comment

Sober October Challenge!

Hey Anon I'M HERE!! Right behind you! Great you back and runnin (literally and otherwise). Just had a quick look around yesterday, was feeling a bit stressed. The transfer list came out at work and luckily I wasn't moved but it had me more stressed than I realised - don't know if anyone else is like this after a wee while sober, but I find as long as everything is rosy in the garden I'm grand, happy and laid back but I'm not able to cope with any anxiety very well. My daughter (she's away) hasn't been in touch for nearly a week and I haven't slept properly for 2 nights, yet rationally I know what she's at this week - she's working round the clock - still can't not worry - woulda drunk in the past.
                            Love the stories of the kids. My mum always said 'keep hugging your kids even when they grow up and keep telling them you love them' - it was such great advice. No matter where we are or in any company, my great big grown up 'kids' and my stroppy teenager will all give me a big bear hug and say 'I love you' - it is fabulous - just what we always did tho!
                            Re. the Mum and Dad 'sunbathing' I remember telling my son when the door bell rang to tell whoever it was I was in the bath - they then asked for his Daddy - a little pause while he thought and then he said 'Daddy's in the bath as well'
                            Books sitting beside the bed queueing for reading
                            The Help
                            The book thief
                            skippy dies
                            the red queen
                            The one I'm reading is brilliant - The mindful way through depression by Mark Williams, really learning heaps about living in the moment, not projecting probs to arise etc.
                            Going to doc this after. will let you know how it goes. Sorry bout long post, hope everyone is in great form
                            Molly
                            Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                            contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Sober October Challenge!

Hi everyone,

What a wonderful, active thread It's very true Molly, keep hugging your kids, mine are the same doesn't matter who is around we always get a hug goodbye and an I love you.

Anxiety hit yesterday as I was lost driving in a very unfamiliar area, thoughts of "man, I need a drink" crossed my mind - thankfully I was driving and it passed once I got back on track. Felt the craving and then let it go, in the past as soon as I got home a bottle of wine would have been consumed.

I know I said Happy Weekend already, but just had to check in on my friends before we leave.
                              :l

Comment

Sober October Challenge!

Peace, have a lovely time with your family. Don't forget even 'normies' can feel anxious, sad, stressed - the difference being they don't turn to booze like us!! If you are determined to have an AF weekend put ALL thoughts of moderation out of your mind for the moment - anything else sort of 'gives you permission' if you know what I mean! We'll miss you!
                                Molly
                                Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                                contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Working...
                                X